Cost of modifications in SA?

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
climbingmike
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux mk6

Cost of modifications in SA?

Post by climbingmike »

Hello Hilux4x4

I am a Brit who is move to SA this December and will be shipping my mk6 Hilux out with me :D: I want to prepare it for over land trips and off roading is SA and need some advice. I have got some prices of part here in the UK, but am finding it hard to find price in SA. I have listed the part below with the price in SAR. If someone could give me a rough idea if prices are cheap in SA or not I would be most appreciated.

Custom made winch bumper and bull bars (like ARB) 5,500
Rock sliders 2,200
Steel canopy 13,000
Rear bumper with 2 hinged arms for Wheel & Gerry cans 6,000
13000lb winch 3,500

Any advice will be welcome.

Many thanks
Mike
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Cost of modifications in SA?

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Mike and welcome :thumbup:

The prices you have given seem very reasonable, I trust the are in Rands ZAR!
Custom made winch bumper and bull bars (like ARB) 5,500 Good price
Rock sliders 2,200 Good price
Steel canopy 13,000 Don't you mean Aluminium? If so, fair
Rear bumper with 2 hinged arms for Wheel & Gerry cans 6,000 Good price
13000lb winch 3,500 Very cheap.....could be chinese normap price would be around the R8 - 9k mark

Any questions, please feel free to ask, cause it cost nothing :thumbup:
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
OOOOMS wrote:Hi Mike and welcome :thumbup:

The prices you have given seem very reasonable, I trust the are in Rands ZAR!
Custom made winch bumper and bull bars (like ARB) 5,500 Good price
Rock sliders 2,200 Good price
Steel canopy 13,000 Don't you mean Aluminium? If so, fair
Rear bumper with 2 hinged arms for Wheel & Gerry cans 6,000 Good price
13000lb winch 3,500 Very cheap.....could be chinese normap price would be around the R8 - 9k mark

Any questions, please feel free to ask, cause it cost nothing :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to have the mods done here rather than there before shipping, if that's what you're asking. These things are far less a speciality item here than they are there and all or most fitment centres do them so there is perhaps more competition and then the variety of brands available here adds to that spirit of competition. Shipment / import of the vehicle might be a little more costly as well after the mods .... issues like weight, value for insurance and import dues etc.

My advice would be to wait till you get here and then shop around for what suits your likes / needs and of course, pocket.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
climbingmike
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux mk6

Post by climbingmike »

Hello All,

Thanks you for your input in is much appreciated :thumbup:
Yes is is a chinese copy. I had one on my Landrover discovery for two years and it was great. It had a wireless controller, 50m plasma rope and 3 times cheaper then a Warn. I could aslo get spares for them here, if I needed them. Do people sell these type of winches in SA or is it just the main brands?
Shipment / import of the vehicle might be a little more costly as well after the mods
It wont make any differance with th shipping as it will be rolled on/rolled off and its just done of the overall size of the truck. Also I will not have to pay any tax as my wife is a returning South Africain and I put in her name so we qualify for one vehical tax free :yahoo: Shame its only one as I want to bring my M5 over aswell but the tax will be about %51 of its vaule :cry:

Over here we have small engineering company that will make you bespoke part like winch bumber and rocksliders, normal cheaper then the big brands like ARB. Do you have these in SA?

I can't wait to get out there. I wont miss -4 degrees

Thanks again
Mike
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

climbingmike wrote:Hello All,

Thanks you for your input in is much appreciated :thumbup:
Yes is is a chinese copy. I had one on my Landrover discovery for two years and it was great. It had a wireless controller, 50m plasma rope and 3 times cheaper then a Warn. I could aslo get spares for them here, if I needed them. Do people sell these type of winches in SA or is it just the main brands? The Main4x4 centres usually stock the branded winches like Iron Man, Tmax, Tabor, Warn. Yes you can get chinese machines here !
Shipment / import of the vehicle might be a little more costly as well after the mods
It wont make any differance with th shipping as it will be rolled on/rolled off and its just done of the overall size of the truck. Also I will not have to pay any tax as my wife is a returning South Africain and I put in her name so we qualify for one vehical tax free :yahoo: Shame its only one as I want to bring my M5 over aswell but the tax will be about %51 of its vaule :cry:

Over here we have small engineering company that will make you bespoke part like winch bumber and rocksliders, normal cheaper then the big brands like ARB. Do you have these in SA? Yes we have ARB, Ironman and a few others here!

I can't wait to get out there. I wont miss -4 degrees

Thanks again
Mike
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We also have plenty guys that will make up custom units at a fraction of the cost of the big brands. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”