Budget Lift turns expensive...

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Budget Lift turns expensive...

Post by BenRich »

Hi Gentleman,

So here is my story. Bought a second hand stock standard Hilux (Vigo) in Jan. I put slightly bigger tires on her, but the problem was the nose diving now looked even more extreme...not acceptable

I wanted it level so shopped around and bought a pair of 30mm spacers from WROffroad and had them fitted at my local Supa Quick. Wala :mocking:

Took some pictures and parked her in the garage.

Last weekend pulled her out to go to pretoria (via R21 that looks like someone lost control of a digger)...on the way back all of a sudden my wheel alignment goes way out...I slow down and drive home. My first concern is spacers. Being late on a saturday and easter no tire shops are open in Boksburg.

Anyway tuesday I start phoning for advice and reading on forum...now I read all the guys with their warning on strut spacers... :shock2:

Long story short...Took it to creative wheels in Boksburg and there the problem soon comes to light...Supa quick never tightened the track rod ends!

Even though I now know that they were not the problem, to give myself piece of mind, I decide to phoned three independent suspension companies, to find out their position on spacers....and all of them refuse to even fit spacers. (Obviously they would like to sell their own product, but where there is smoke.....)

I decide to fit a full set of Camil's front and rear...WOW. No more rattles from original shocks. She is sitting perfect and about 30mm higher in back. And the handling...much much much better! And the service from Piet at Camil also excellent.

My point...Would I fit spacers again, even though I never really had issues with them specifically.....No!

Rather save and do a suspension upgrade if you can....
cfmocke
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: Hilux D4D D/CAB 4x4

Re: Budget Lift turns expensive...

Post by cfmocke »

I agree, the spacers made my Hilux feel like it was riding on rocks, bit the bullet in the end and installed OME, wow what a difference in ride quality. Spacers = waste of money
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

So true. I fitted 20mm spacers some three months ago, gave me almost 50mm lift. The afternoon when I collected my bakkie, it looked so cool! and very happy on the looks. Howeve, driving home I could hardly keep the bakkie on the tar road, this was a mistake! I have since become sort off use to clinging to the steering wheel. Driving on tarroad with rutting, I jump from the one side to the other, like I have no genuine control. Mense dink seker ek is gesuip. So I will maar save some money and do the proper thing. What is the typical cost of say the Camil and OME? advice please.

PS Wil keep the spacers for now, dont wnat to change back to the nose dive look.
Rian
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Rian, do you have spacers fitted with standard suspension?

I have spacers fitted but with IM suspension and am not experiencing the same you describe at all.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Oooms, fitted with standard suspension. Could this be the problem perhaps? The steering is now very sensitive, reason for drifting. Also had my wheel alignment recheked, and al in order.

Rian
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

This is strange, because Hoppy fit my spacers to std suspension, and I have not experienced any negative effects yet. Handling and steering is still true as it was before.. This was done about 7000 km ago... :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Rianc wrote:Oooms, fitted with standard suspension. Could this be the problem perhaps? The steering is now very sensitive, reason for drifting. Also had my wheel alignment recheked, and al in order.

Rian
I doubt that this would have a neg affect, come to think of it I have spacers fitted on my wife's Tuna (standard suspension) for 4 years now and no neg. affect!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Just another thought.....I once rotated my tyres (mudz) and after the rotation the vehicle felt like it was drifting all over the road. Took it back to have it checked out and eventually had them fitted the way they were before.......which seemed to solve the problem.... :?:

Not sure why this happened but it was scary driving .... :wink2:
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Maybe I'm over sensitive on the issue, but there is a remarkable difference since the fitment. The fitment was not done by pulukas, so I trust that all is in accordance with specification. It was actually recomended by them that I rather fit 20mm instead of 30mm, hence the chasey model. Apparantly 2005 to 2007, not the same as later models. Like I also stated, i have become acustomed to the ride.
Rian
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

NB: You can't fit spacers bigger than 20mm, this already gives a 40mm lift. Larger spacers will effect the alignment an you will break CV joints.

The spacers is not the problem if fitted corectly, we strip the struts and replace the top mounting bolts with longer 10mm HT bolts, the top mountings needs to be aligned corectly and ofcoarse all the bolts torqued and split-pinned.

The wheel alignment needs to be checked, i prefer to drive it for a few days before i do the alignment.

This job will set you back about R1100 00, but if you have money to spare, there is no question, any aftermarket suspension is better than the crap Toyota fits in the factory.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

Camil full set R11200,00 :thumbup:
OME quite a bit more... :shock:
TJM Full R19000 :o:
Iron Man R15000 :|

Depends what you use your vehicle for...
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

YO! Not for the faint harted hi. Thanks for the info. Do you need to do the full thing or just infront? I'm mostly doeing soft 4x4 on the farm and site visits for my work. I'm not a big fan of manmade 4x4 tracks, I paid alot for my bakkie and doesnt want reck it. (like jumping dunes)
Rian
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

Spaar spaar spaar.
Tyres is nou eerste op my lysie, want ek moet al muskiet nette gooi anders steek die muskiete my tires dalk pap. dan sal ek SPaar R3k vir chip by Kosie hulle, dan hard spaar vir suspension upgrade.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Howeve, driving home I could hardly keep the bakkie on the tar road, this was a mistake!
Are you sure they have done your wheel alignment properly after they fitted the spacers. I know if your camber is way out a vehicle will be difficult to control.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by BenRich »

Hi Rian

You can do the front only, go and speak to the guys that do suspension, they will be able to give better advice. Camil's for the front will cost you about R6000. Well worth it though. Only reason I did the full set is because I had a shock in the back that was done...

But glad I did
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Thanks for the info benrich, will have to make a serious effort to save some money. Need to replace my BF's end June aswell, so then I will do the alignment again.
Rian
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Where in Pretoria do you stay?
As Louis from 4x4Megaworld where to alignment because I find that the moment you lift your suspension some "normal" guys cannot set it properly, you need somebody who knows what he is doing. Louis is in the game and will know who can do the alignment properly.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

I stay in Wonderboom South (moot Area)
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by BenRich »

Sound like good advice :thumbup:
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Hi PietPetoors, at which shop is Louis? Distance isn't a problem here in Pretoria.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

The Pretorianers will help you better, I have not been there for very long and cannot remember the names, BUT
opposite Menlyn Park there is a smaller centre where they normally hold carpark sales on Sundays. I think it is called Atterbury value mart
On the Garsfontein rd side of that is 4x4Mega, so guess that will be the Menlyn branch then
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Thanks PP, I know where this is.

Greatings R
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Sad to hear about such stories but many an alignment shop will try and do spacers to get some extra income, but how many of them do it regularly enuff especially on our 4x4's to have the experience? As much as I can, I work on my own truck, then I'm sure it's done properly - only very hard and mechanically challenging jobs I source out, I'm not a mechie but everytime I will learn something new on my truck, but I guess we're not all technical.

I doubt if spacers are/were the issue in the first place. Had mine for a year now if not more and no hassles, would I fit them on my next truck? Sure! Just my 2cw :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Hey Donkey
"I doubt if spacers are/were the issue in the first place"

I bought my bakkie from the tile floor, could always have one beer in the one hand with a smoking sigar in the other, just using the traditional knees for steering. Solid as a rock! So no, there wer no issue before, but like stated, there is a different feel to the drive which I'm not comfy with. I will do the proper upgrade in future. Have to sort out my boerboels eyes on Wednesday for R3000. :beg:
Chrs Rian

Geniet hom! :beach:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Good luck :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
chopper

Post by chopper »

Louis (Megaworld) is situated at the top end of Menlyn Retail Park (C/O Lois & Garstfontein rd) , in the same wing as Midas, Supa-Quick etc

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”