Where Can I get a body lift done on a D4D 3l Single cab.

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bethal MP
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4 AT extended cab.
Club VHF Licence: X84

Where Can I get a body lift done on a D4D 3l Single cab.

Post by Rollercoaster639 »

Hi Guys. Where can I get a body lift done on my 3.L D4D single cab. Must be professionals who know what they are doing. Anywhere in Jhb Pretoria or surrounding areas.
If anyone has had good service from someone doing this I will give them first option.

Know of a company in Witbank who does the tough dog suspension and camping trailers but he just dont get back to me. I always have to phone him. Have been trying since last Wed just to get a price from him. Sorry for him.
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 AT
Club VHF Licence: X298

Re: Where Can I get a body lift done on a D4D 3l Single cab.

Post by Oosie101 »

Speak to Darryl from Mikem Suspensions. I have only heard good things about him and will be taking my Hilux to him for an upgrade as soon as it is time to replace my current shocks.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Do you want to do a body lift or suspension lift? Those are two different things all together..
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

I assumed "suspension lift" since he referred to Tough Dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

No Guys I already have an OME suspension. I want a 50mm body lift. Sorry for the confusion by mentioning suspension. I just know that the company I am referring to in Witbank sell that suspension system.
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

I just came across this thread again... You probably dont want to go THAT big, but wow!!!
viewtopic.php?t=36171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

No Guys I already have an OME suspension. I want a 50mm body lift.

Did the OME suspension not already give you a 50mm body lift. If you want to go higher, then you open another can of worms, which cause problems with dive shafts as well as stability of the vehicle.
What are you using this vehicle for, overlanding? You do not have to go that extreme for overlanding as long as you suspension it at least heavy for the back, then you can do light to medium in front to carry the weight.
If you need the extreme suspensions and lifts for your overlanding, then I would appreciate copies of your trip itenaries as I am running out of places to visit that are off the beaten track.
If you would like to swop out information then you can PM me & I will send you my email address OR just PM me your e-mail address...
Thanking you in anticipation...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Habob suspension does not lift the body, it lifts the entire vehicle....
body lift will ONLY lift the body so drive train is no effected....
Oosie101 wrote:Speak to Darryl from Mikem Suspensions. I have only heard good things about him and will be taking my Hilux to him for an upgrade as soon as it is time to replace my current shocks.
Oosie.... I will NEVER take my vehicle to Mikem again even if it was for FREE upgrades....
I have had nothing but headaches from Mikem and when I contacted them I was told thats the way the suspension is...
I am completely discusted with the service and the run around service from them.....

As far as the body lift goes you can contact any of the 4x4 fitment places, if you dont come right then pm me maybe I can help you.
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Oosie101
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Oosie101 »

MOFASA wrote:Habob suspension does not lift the body, it lifts the entire vehicle....
body lift will ONLY lift the body so drive train is no effected....
Oosie101 wrote:Speak to Darryl from Mikem Suspensions. I have only heard good things about him and will be taking my Hilux to him for an upgrade as soon as it is time to replace my current shocks.
Oosie.... I will NEVER take my vehicle to Mikem again even if it was for FREE upgrades....
I have had nothing but headaches from Mikem and when I contacted them I was told thats the way the suspension is...
I am completely discusted with the service and the run around service from them.....

As far as the body lift goes you can contact any of the 4x4 fitment places, if you dont come right then pm me maybe I can help you.
Hi Johno, you are the first one I heard of that is not happy with them... but thanks for the heads up... Not even Toyota receive positive reviews all the time...
Please tell me more about those headaches you had with the suspension.
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Haboob wrote:No Guys I already have an OME suspension. I want a 50mm body lift.

Did the OME suspension not already give you a 50mm body lift. If you want to go higher, then you open another can of worms, which cause problems with dive shafts as well as stability of the vehicle.
What are you using this vehicle for, overlanding? You do not have to go that extreme for overlanding as long as you suspension it at least heavy for the back, then you can do light to medium in front to carry the weight.
If you need the extreme suspensions and lifts for your overlanding, then I would appreciate copies of your trip itenaries as I am running out of places to visit that are off the beaten track.
If you would like to swop out information then you can PM me & I will send you my email address OR just PM me your e-mail address...
Thanking you in anticipation...
Haboob as Mofasa mentioned Suspension lift and air bags lift the complete bakkie. I have 265 x75 x 16 STT Cooper Mud terrain tyres and rims. I had front spacers installed but had them removed because something did not feel right. As soon as they were removed stability returned to normal. I surf launch a 19' deep sea ski boat and for this I have to drop the tyre pressure to a min of .8bar. When you do this the tyres catch when turning. To make things worse I bought new rims for my bakkie. They are 10j while the old one were 8j, also they are negative 38mm off set which means they sick out.

Buy doing a 50mm body lift All the problems I have with the tyres catching will go away. There will also be no difference in handling or stability be cause of the body lift alone. The advantage of doing a body lift is that it allows you to put on bigger tyres which in turn gives you more ground clearance. So maybe when the body lift is finished I might find out that my tyres look a bit small. (But this is another debate for a later stage)

Anyhow the bakkie is in for the body lift at a company on Witbank. He should be finished tomorrow or latest Monday. I will update my "build post" with some pics when it is done.
This is a link to my "Build" post.: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=15814&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

A suspension lift is when you replace your suspension parts with a aftermarket suspension, parts replaced is the front coils, front shocks and the rear leafspring packs, shocks and bushes. This lift is usually 50mm. However you can lift the suspension only in in the front with either the spacer above the coil or to use a shock with a higher coils spring seat.

Air suspension only carry load at the rear, it will lift the vehicle when it is not loaded only. This will NOT improve ride quality nor it will improve wheel articulation.

Body lift is done when you unbolt the cab and loadbay from the chassis. Then a spacer for XX mm is used to lift the Cab and loadbay from the chassis. This do not stop there, usually it also have to hand in hand by lengthening the gear levers and also doing mods to your steering components to name a few.

Then, if you have a aftermarket front bumper and rear bumper you have to adjust those too to get the "look" right. With this there is a lot of cutting and welding, this makes the bumpers usually not as strong as it should be, the angles change a lot and safety are nul and void.

Hope it helps.
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Guys.
To put the record straight we did Johnathons vehicle at his request after 1 yr he claims it was sagging?
got measurements from him and the still were the same!
I asked him to bring it in to look at told me his busy and I must come to his work place now tough dog and do the work?
he forgot to mention he was begging me for a job and it was ok then.
So now he runs his mouth like a child over the net typical of his character.good luck my friend you are 1 prize idiot.

Regards
Darrell
Mikem.
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Ek beveel Louis by 4x4 Megaworld aan het myne gedoen n maand terug en het puik diens gekry en my lux ry soos n droom
Rollercoaster639
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

@Merwn:as far as I am aware 4x4 Megaworld does not do Body Lifts. (I ask them if they could do mine) They do suspension replacements / lifts

@ Louis: I beg to differ: I have Firestone airbags as well as OEM suspension (You fitted the OME) If my bakkie is loaded and it sags at the back I can pump it up and it raises the back So it will lift the back even under load. Agree it will not give better articulation. As for ride quality I once again differ half way: If no load then you will not notice any difference: If under load and you have pumped them to the correct pressure for that load you most definitely notice the difference: I have noticed a really big difference in the elimination of "Roll" and also the general stability. Very easy to demonstrate and prove my point. With the same load just drop the pressure to 1 bar (this is the min usable pressure) and got ride around a corner. Then repeat the exercise with them pumped up to say around 2.5 bar. (Max for these air suspension is around 7 bar) Like chalk and cheese. Just a quick word about the back leaf springs OME. They are the heavy duty and I also had another blade fitted. (you got it, you also fitted this)

Another point is about the front bumper. I have an ARB bumper (Yes you also fitted it) There was no need to cut it at all. Additional brackets had to be made to Lift it as it is mounted on the chassis and not the body as the OEM one.

I did not bother to lift the rear after market bumper for two reasons: Firstly I already have a problem in that it is too high to tow my boat. I have to us a drop plate. Secondly it really does not look all that bad. Yes you do notice it.

Now for the big test. I also have a 4.0L V6 Hilux standard. Load both bakkies with the same load, hook up the boat and take it for a ride. Both tow hitch balls are at 450mm from the ground. before the load. I am sorry but the V6 does not come nowhere near the bakkie that has been modified.

All the above is my opinion and I speak from experience. I am not picking an argument just stating what I experienced.
Anyhow Louis let me know when my engel fridge clips arrive.

Some pics AFTER the 50mm body lift.
IMG-20141110-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20141111-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20141111-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20141110-WA0000.jpg
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Yes Barry. The Air helpers what I meant was NO LOAD pump to 3.5 Bar. Then it hard and lift but no articulation. Your setup are different, you load and have all the weight.

Did you come right with the phone number I gave to your wife?

Clips are ordered. I let you know when it arrives.

:D:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”