Suspension Lift, breathers, Intake 1990 Hilux 4D 3L

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
RubberSideDown
Town: Revelstoke
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4D 3L

Suspension Lift, breathers, Intake 1990 Hilux 4D 3L

Post by RubberSideDown »

I require alot of logging road use out of my vehicles, and I tend to drive fairly fast. I was tired of dealing with my stock sacked out suspension, with only 1.25 inches of uptravel available and deformation of springs. I decided to replace and upgrade with success a 3.5in rough country lift for an 83 toyota in the front and 2.5 inch blocks in the back. As canadian toyotas are almost all gas engine the front springs have been upgraded with 2 leaves per side bringing them to slightly thicker dimensions over stoke. Of note would me the main spring; its twice as thick as the original, hopefully offsetting the abuse of the heavy diesel and no sway bar, which it seems to have never had, and i like it that way.... Hyway ride improved alot despite increased ride height and the truck is now running 33' x 10.5 bfg's... not too badly. to make this lift work perfectly i recomend extended brake lines, and aftermarket shock hoops which should allow for longer shocks and full potential articulation. i plan on using new 4 inch hd rear springs next. 2.5in blocks interfere with E brake cables, they will not hook up. They would with a 3.5-4 inch block i think. but I dont particularily like this route, and for heavy use it should have a heavier spring anyhow.
the stock draglink barely fits with this lift, due to thicker hilux spring pack and lift increased bump steer angles the Drag Link had to be ground, 1 u bolt was ground down 40% from orig, and bump stop removed. does not bottom out but I dont go and jump my truck either. In the process of putting on a better intake as the orig has a harsh 90 angle and is small. using intake from a 2 ton, larger diam and straight in.... no 90, hooking up to K&N. Exhaust is straight pipe. Sounds pretty mean, but it is getting iritating. planning to switch to a 3in exhaust next, looking around for parts. Does anyone have recomendations? Header? Exhaust temp sensor? I am also curious about aftermarket computer chips like DPchips.... i wonder if one is available for non turbo 3L deisel? looking for E-lock actuator also...?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Suspension Lift, breathers, Intake 1990 Hilux 4D 3L

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Bremmer! :thumbup: Maybe one of the diesel-heads here would be able give you a few pointers, in the meantime a few pics of your vehicle and what you've done to it would be great! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Mods”