55W spots - worth it?

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

55W spots - worth it?

Post by Tsa »

Hi Guys

Is it worth fitting these old school (non-led) type spots or do guys mostly just do it for the look. Is there any real improvement in visibility at night?

Ones I saw said 55W 12V H3.

Attached is an example.
Attachments
Spots.JPG
Spots.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 55W spots - worth it?

Post by Mud Dog »

55W is the standard legal limit (actually I think it's 60W but one doesn't get a 60W element). That said, with any lamp 99% of it's effectiveness lies in the reflector and the positioning of the element in relation to that reflector.

Similar principles apply to LED lamps, but it's a static set up from the manufacturers and you don't have any issues like you possibly could with replacing H3 elements not seating properly or not seating in the exact place / shifting due to excessive tolerances in the manufacture of either the element or the lamp. LED's have some further advantages - firstly energy consumption is considerably less since they're more efficient. Secondly, the wattage of LED units is far less for the same / similar illuminating power, so legally you can fit lights that give a much greater light than the 55W incandescents and still be legal. I just wonder how long it will take for the authorities to catch on and change the legislation to a lumen limit rather than a wattage limit.

If one compares a good quality incandescent lamp against an ED lamp of similar illuminating power, you will find that the older incandescent type are way, way cheaper at this time - that may change a bit further down the line, but right now the older type are still a good option as long as you get quality lamps.

Hope that helps answer your question. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

Richard I have a SFA and the lights are not that good but on my last trip to the northwest I found that the old spots really made a difference although there was 130 w globes in.They are a cheep way of getting extra light and if you break them you wont be that upset.
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tsa »

Thanks guys, understood. At the moment I cant justify spending R1000's on a LED setup.
Was just wondering if the incandescents actually do make a difference on the standard 55W ones you buy in the shop.

@Scott: Agreed on not being too upset if one breakes a cheapie :)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Richard by the look of the lenses on those lights they will give you a good "flood" of light illuminating to the sides and the front. That helps a lot already... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tsa »

Thanks Uncle. Going to give them a go.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Hi Richard,

I have a set of IPF 900 Extreme Sport driving light with the special 65w IPF globes which they say compares in output to 100w standard globe. I am going to sell them, there is nothing wrong with them so if you want them I will take R3500.00 for them which includes the Polly carbonate lens protectors (Clear ones that you leave on when the light is on).

The new IPF 900 XS from 4x4 Megaworld are R6000.00 and that excludes the lens protector, and sometimes that price excludes the globes but I'm not sure these days.

PM me for a speedy response.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tsa »

Thanks Craig, but going to pass on them. Thanks
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Hi Richard, No problem at all.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Experience has taught me to stick to the Hela brand. Yes they make a huge difference. LED's are expensive to justify how often I use my truck, also generally LED's are very bright white light but lack penetration, something you need off-road.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage

Return to “General Mods”