Jerry can mounting

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Jerry can mounting

Post by JohanM »

I would like to know from those in the know and that has traveled many km's about mounting a Jerry can lying flat instead of being mounted on its back.
Attached is a picture of what I have in mind for 2x cans, mounted in similar position but on special brackets on Load bars.
jerry-can-mounting-top-angle-2241.jpg
jerry-can-mounting-front-view-2236.jpg
Let me know what your opinion is.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Jerry can mounting

Post by Mud Dog »

Johan, the only problem I can think of is that heat expansion (and there will be a fair amount of that up on the roof) is vented through the cap. Lying on it's side like that the filler will be below the level of fuel in a full jerry can causing liquid fuel to leak instead of just vapour.

Besides the loss of fuel there is a greater safety risk. In addition, although it shouldn't damage the paintwork, if there is sufficient leakage for it to spread, it can damage plastics and rubber like trims and door seals.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Johan I agree with Andy.I realize that by standing the can upright they offer more wind resistance and also adds to the vehicles height. I also don't like carrying the extra 40 kgs plus on the roof as it raises the vehicles centre of gravity.
But if you have no other alternative but to carry them on the roof,rather stand them up.

I remember seeing a flat tank for fuel ,or water, which is designed to be mounted on a roof rack in one of the 4x4 magazines.Enquire at the 4x4 fitment or sales outlets.
I would rather go for this option.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Johan, that strap and foam are going to eat away at your paint work, rather look for a long range tank.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Agree with the long range tank option.
Safer, more convenient and hassel free.
Fill tank up before fuel price hikes and win until the fuel runs out.
Works for me, keeps centre of gravity down low and is cost effective as there is no wastage...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
rollacorolla
Town: Haenertsburg
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 S/C

Post by rollacorolla »

I'm also interested in how best to mount the 2 Proquip yellow 20 litre Jerry cans I just bought. The salesman at 4x4 Megaworld said the jerry can mounting brackets they sell will not fit my custom stainless steel roof rack. I guess I need to get some custom ones made up? Any other ideas?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Nigel! :thumbup:

Would it not be prudent to rather just modify the commercially available brackets ... could save you time and money rather than having something custom made.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Mods”