Auxiliary Dashboard Cigarette Lighter

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Tuli Block
Vehicle: '01 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC

Auxiliary Dashboard Cigarette Lighter

Post by drew3 »

Hi all

Looking for some advice, and possibly a diagram or two. I am considering installing 2 or 3 additional cigarette lighter sockets onto the top of my dashboard (using the socket holder from 4xrdirect) so that I have far less cables running from GPS, TPMS etc down to the standard cig socket.

I would run the cabling behind the dash. Would be advantageous if they operated exactly like the standard socket (off when vehicle is off).

Anybody done something like this? Got some pictures and advice for wiring, fuses, etc?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2001 Hilux 4x4 Raider 2.7i DC
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Auxiliary Dashboard Cigarette Lighter

Post by Mud Dog »

Have a look at this topic .... just a little further than ½ way down the page. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977

I fitted 2 extra lighter sockets for the same reason, however I didn't fit them on the top of the dash but rather in the console (I had to cover the holes made for the old extra gauges anyway).

The wiring was easy - just looped off the existing lighter circuit. The extra sockets are used for GPS and cell charging, so no worries about overloading the circuit - left the original value fuse in place and it's never blown.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Other idea what I had was to replace the OE cig lighter with this dual usb socket. I just filed away a bit to let it fit. Work like usual on the ignition.
Attachments
IMG_20170615_115229.jpg
drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: Auxiliary Dashboard Cigarette Lighter

Post by drew3 »

Mud Dog wrote:Have a look at this topic .... just a little further than ½ way down the page. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977

I fitted 2 extra lighter sockets for the same reason, however I didn't fit them on the top of the dash but rather in the console (I had to cover the holes made for the old extra gauges anyway).

The wiring was easy - just looped off the existing lighter circuit. The extra sockets are used for GPS and cell charging, so no worries about overloading the circuit - left the original value fuse in place and it's never blown.
Thanks a lot will take a look.

drew3
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: RE: Re: Auxiliary Dashboard Cigarette Lighter

Post by drew3 »

LouisZ wrote:Other idea what I had was to replace the OE cig lighter with this dual usb socket. I just filed away a bit to let it fit. Work like usual on the ignition.
Thanks Louis. I have considered these but for a different purpose of what I'm trying to achieve now.

muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

It would be simple enough to just tap off the existing circuit. I done that with usb points, but also added a seperate circuit that runs off a manual switch, this is so that I can leave stuff charging in van while vehicle is off and locked.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Mods”