how to make a surf fit 35"

Modifications to any other vehicles or things which can benefit any of the other vehicles owners.
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

how to make a surf fit 35"

Post by Tinman »

hey guys, at the end of the year i will have lots of free time so im considering going all out on my surf, i want to make it fit 35" and have the look of the hilux's used on top gear to get to the pole (arctic trucks) . any idea's?
currently mine has a 2" iron man lift, and id prefer not to go 2 much more so as to keep the center of gravity as far down as possible yet still have clearance. so im mainly thinking bigger wheel arches and some body work.
in case your wondering this is all being done so as i can compete in the australasian safari next year.
hiluxsurf
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: sydney
Vehicle: hilux surf

Re: how to make a surf fit 35"

Post by hiluxsurf »

to get 35" tyres under a surf you need a minimum of a 2" body lift + 2" suspension lift AND modify your front mudflaps with a special tool (hammer).
you will get them under without any mods but as soon as you get any compression of your suspension your scrubbing.
You will also need the surf flared guards + a flexiflare extension onto those.
Check out the Australian Surf site and you will find the details you need there.

My opinion is that 35's on a surf is to much.
Your gearing will be up the creek and fuel consumption will be horrific.
My surf has 32" on it and the difference between those and 33" is heaps notacable whilst daily driving.

my opinion only
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

well the consumption isnt a worry, because it isnt a daily driver.
im not to sure about a body lift tho because arctic trucks say they persifically dont use them on theres because of trying to keep center of gravity down, they have a 2" suspension and a 1.5" BJ lift, and alot of work on the flares to get the clearance.
heres a pick of it all done on a surf.
Attachments
Wide_Flares.sized.jpg
hiluxsurf
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: sydney
Vehicle: hilux surf

Post by hiluxsurf »

BJ lift requires engineering dont forget.
and no insurance company will insure a car with a BJ lift
but i would like to see your end result but :clap: :clap:
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Tinman »

i have twin brother who both are mech engineers and if its engineerd most insurance companies still will, some wont though, just depends if you wnat to tell them or not :)
RonMaster
Town: Haevaag
Vehicle: Hilux 38x15x15 with 44" mod

Post by RonMaster »

Tinman wrote:well the consumption isnt a worry, because it isnt a daily driver.
im not to sure about a body lift tho because arctic trucks say they persifically dont use them on theres because of trying to keep center of gravity down, they have a 2" suspension and a 1.5" BJ lift, and alot of work on the flares to get the clearance.
heres a pick of it all done on a surf.
Hi
Does this look is an old post. But what fun that no spatial my old 4runner what used as an example.

It is I who have rebuilt led to 35 "so 37" and finally at 38 "Image is Version 1.0 by 35" on 15x12 rims.

I worked tildigere at Arctic Trucks Norway, so I'm familiar with the methods the AT user.

The raise was the same on all 3 for large, no spring rise, only body lift. Total 30mm BL.

With this method achieves great road characteristics, and consumption at 38 "what just 0.9 liters / 10 km is not bad.

Image is on 38x15,5 x15 last versjon 3.0

There is a total set Prosser this type of reconstruction, but gevinsen in my opinion is absolutely invaluable with combination of onroad and offroad qualities.

Best Regards Ronny
Attachments
DSC05948 (Custom).JPG
yours sincerely
Ronny

03 Hilux Arctic Trucks 38"
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Looks awesome, but I would prefer more space between the wheel arch and tyres.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.

Return to “General Mods”