Standard Lexus ECU 1UZ VVT-I Conversions

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
redhummer

Re: Standard Lexus ECU 1UZ VVT-I Conversions

Post by redhummer »

And what about the throttle by wire motor setup? Is that possabe ?
Attachments
1uz vvt1.jpg
Hiluxman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: '89 SFA DC Botswana Spec

Post by Hiluxman »

Like you guys are saying - each to his own.

I would like to say that I agree with Benhur - there is no substitute for being able to tweak your own management - from cold start behaviour and idle speed through to timing and fuel maps.

Most of us are not so lucky to get an engine with full wiring intact and ready to plug into a standard ECU - or am I under some illusion Redhummer?

It sounds like you are getting hold of the ECU's quite easily, and that yo are not having any difficulty with wiring? My brother is looking at a V8 for his SRX Hilux 4x4, and he might not want to have the access to the maps and ECU setup which I am interested in. Can you assist?
'89 Hilux DC 7mge Cressida Conversion
'96 Land Cruiser GX 4.5 OME Suspension, ECB bull bar and Warn Winch
'05 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS Premium
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

That is what I think the site is intended for. Helping people. I am always keen on helping anybody in need.. What would he be looking for? Which motor is he playing with?
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

When I joined the site a year ago I got into terrible trouble when I mentioned standard systems. Now recently Alex opened a post where he called it 4.0 vvti and that was closed down as a result of an argument. Then I opened this one called Standard Lexus ecu vvti conversions so there can be no dispute about what is written as all that info would be titled correctly. I am happy with the post so far and would really be disappointed if it were to be closed over some silly disagreement and so far things have been fine, admittedly with a few rocky parts but generally fine and contributing to people I think. It is a major when it comes to opinions and this page should be left to the standard management side of things. There isn’t another page and the aftermarket guys have a lot of pages to express there thoughts. I do not visit those pages and will not as it is there contribution and will not knock them down on there own page. Would not be right I don’t think. There are a few guys that would appreciate a page like this and there are a lot of in’s and out’s to the standard setup. I can acquire pretty much any info needed in doing a standard mod and I have a lot of contacts in Lexus itself. I just believe that the manufacturer of a product like Lexus/Toyota should know how to get there designs to run better than anybody else. After all they have major development centres and huge budgets to support there needs. They also have never had a version 2 ecu to correct version 1. They bring out all these cars world wide and are the most successful motor company in the world. The one thing everybody on this site has in common is the fact we all love Toyota Denso and still there are arguments. lol Funny if you think about it but in the end it’s like they said on the site.. Live and let live.. A good motto I think.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Hiluxman wrote:Like you guys are saying - each to his own.

I would like to say that I agree with Benhur - there is no substitute for being able to tweak your own management - from cold start behaviour and idle speed through to timing and fuel maps.

Most of us are not so lucky to get an engine with full wiring intact and ready to plug into a standard ECU - or am I under some illusion Redhummer?

It sounds like you are getting hold of the ECU's quite easily, and that yo are not having any difficulty with wiring? My brother is looking at a V8 for his SRX Hilux 4x4, and he might not want to have the access to the maps and ECU setup which I am interested in. Can you assist?
You could go standard and run a piggy back system to be able to control it yourself with keeping the functions of the management. You would need to import from the USA though as the only one I have seen here is Dastek and they will not hand out there program, wiring diagram or any info. I had them install one for me a long time ago and ended up having to go back about 5 times to get it to run right. To find they linked there sensor inputs to my gearbox speed sensors rather than to my crank and cam sensors.. Got that right and then the chip blew leaving me stranded on the road.. Never again..
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

redhummer wrote:When I joined the site a year ago I got into terrible trouble when I mentioned standard systems. Now recently Alex opened a post where he called it 4.0 vvti and that was closed down as a result of an argument. Then I opened this one called Standard Lexus ecu vvti conversions so there can be no dispute about what is written as all that info would be titled correctly. I am happy with the post so far and would really be disappointed if it were to be closed over some silly disagreement and so far things have been fine, admittedly with a few rocky parts but generally fine and contributing to people I think. It is a major when it comes to opinions and this page should be left to the standard management side of things. There isn’t another page and the aftermarket guys have a lot of pages to express there thoughts. I do not visit those pages and will not as it is there contribution and will not knock them down on there own page. Would not be right I don’t think. There are a few guys that would appreciate a page like this and there are a lot of in’s and out’s to the standard setup. I can acquire pretty much any info needed in doing a standard mod and I have a lot of contacts in Lexus itself. I just believe that the manufacturer of a product like Lexus/Toyota should know how to get there designs to run better than anybody else. After all they have major development centres and huge budgets to support there needs. They also have never had a version 2 ecu to correct version 1. They bring out all these cars world wide and are the most successful motor company in the world. The one thing everybody on this site has in common is the fact we all love Toyota Denso and still there are arguments. lol Funny if you think about it but in the end it’s like they said on the site.. Live and let live.. A good motto I think.
I can only comment on my own experience with an OEM setup, one which you apparently did, and it was not a pleasant experience. Maybe the Lexus OEMs does not have the same issues as the Supralux, and I take it that the Supralux was one of your earliest conversions, because it really was not a good conversion. I remember clearly all my posts on here while trying to solve all the issues with the Supralux a couple of years ago. Although the setup looked presentable (as you rightly say), it was inefficient and disfunctional.

I remember how glad I was that the Supralux had an OEM setup when I bought it, because I was also a believer of standard equipment setups. And then the trouble started... In the end I had no choice but to go the aftermarket route, which turned out allright.

I am sure that there are many people here who would seriously prefer an OEM setup. All I would advise is that they make sure that they don't get stuck with the same problems I faced. That is the reason why I now drive a V8 with a carburettor...

Maybe things have developed further than what I have experienced. But I doubt it. I would hate to see one of my fellow forum members fork out R65K on a conversion that "runs ok", and not great. By the way, if you are so very, very OEM pro, why would you say that the speed sensor doesn't make a difference? Surely you don't know better than Toyota all of a sudden? Or do you now when it suits you?

:thumbup:
Last edited by DOELLOOS on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

As I have already said. The vehicle was sold in perfect running order. You bought it from a guy that I sold it to and ime not sure what his or your contributions were, but there must have been somebody messing it around with it to have been so bad when you had it. I was on 8/L when I had it and it was a good runner. Was proud of the work there and it was my first one yes. Have you got a picture of your first one? So after you have had enough of insulting me maybe you could move on to a page where they maybe could appreciate your input. I did that mod in 2000…ten years ago and there was nothing wrong with the way it was running as the engine warning light didn’t come on even when checking trouble codes in the ecu… When you did diagnostics testing via EI to TEI what did it tell you and why didn’t you just fix that problem instead of battling trying to find a problem when the standard ecu tells you what is wrong via code? Or did it say Toyota manufacturing mistake..Remody = go aftermarket..? I don’t think so and I really do not want to have this page destroyed or blocked. Could we agree just to leave each other alone? I wont comment on your posts and you not on mine.. How does that sound? :thumbup:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

No problem, I won't comment about how bad (horrible) the turbo and cooling setup was done, neither about anything about the pathetic OEM setup. :silent:

Oh, by the way, the cop did ABSOLUTELY nothing to the lux in terms of setup. Ask him, I did!!! He never got 8km/l. Strange that, huh?

I am sure that you are now building great vehicles!!! Pity they won't run properly. :thumbdown:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers...

:D:
Last edited by DOELLOOS on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiluxman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Hiluxman »

Gee wiz guys - you are a bit on the emotional side here - hope I dont get caught in the middle of anything.

I am asking again (RedHummer):\
1. How easy / difficult and costly is it to source an OEM computer box - my brother might want to run the 4.3 VVTI if standard EMU is feasible
2. What about wiring harness - I would hate to try and reconstruct it myself
3. How sure can I be that I will have the correct EMU for the engine we will get?
4. What about other issues like speed sensors, speedometers etc?

For my own aplications, I am convinced that I prefer Spitronics or Dicktator (I dont mean anybody else should, my Hilux runs on Mr Turbo, which is quite primitive) - it does away with a lot of complex little emmision systems that the Japs had to install to comply with international laws - and thereby robbing the oem setup of optimum tuning possibilities in terms of power output.

I also do agree that Toyota certainly knows a great deal about their own hardware, but their software must cater with a wide range of altitudes, fuels, and emission laws, and they dont write software for specific countries as far as I am aware.

Furthermore, I understand how it works and can sort it out myself - I cant say the same of OEM EMU's unfortunately, and I cannot "interrogate" them with my laptop, or get free advice like I can get from the likes of Peet at Spitronics.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Contact Jap Euro in jet-park and they will get you one complete including the air flow meter. The sensors depend on what you are putting it into. An old shape like 80's and early 90 would require you to import a cluster from the USA or to mod/install a speed sensor into your current cluster. If it is a newer car than 2000 then there are no problems with that. Speedometers are dependant on what you are doing with the transmission. Don’t forget the transponder. You will need that too and a spare. They would need to be programmed for the ecu but would make it imposable to steal really unless towed away
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

Geez let me just go and get the chill pills guys :lol: Standard ecu should be wirred up and left alone and ja the agents do run it at a lower spec for a longer life span on the motor. Lets say you guys had a new hilux with standard ecu and it's going ok, would you go and change the system for a aftermarket setup ?
Would you go to SACS and let them bore out your ports and put chips and then tell you that the life span of the motor is now less and the fuel consumption is heavier but in turn you will have a extra 10kw. Myself i would say no to the whole thing and rather go for a lager motor and keep it dead stock. I found the standard system very straight forward but yes after a hell of alot of tracing. (Bench run )Motor starts with one hit and idel sits at 1100 and drops to around 700revs at ideal temp. Very happy with responce when you hit the gass ( smooth as hell )Well would say standard but ya whatever floats your boats guys
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

Mr hummer

Transponder key :thumbdown:
Would just build it into a small black box and fuse the two together. Myself i would not go thru that mission of getting it built into the ignition ( no thanks man)

Me = lock down my gear shifter with the solinoid not with a gear lock.

Solinoid thru a relay and then a hiden switch and remove the override on the shifter.
V8 SOLID
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Nissan Patrol

Post by Marius Murray »

:crazy: :crazy: my brother, Hilton, bought supralux from ewald. The spots, tyres, bullbars, and colourscheme is still as immaculate. His favourate trick is to shame Gti's, ST's, TT's, 350Z's, Opc's and other shittyish boy racers from robot to robot. Fuel consumption is 3 km/litre but with 300kW at the flywheel, 228kw on the rear wheels he would not want it anyway else than programmable ecu. Killing Gti's with a hilux and 33inch bf's is Moerse fun. I drove it two weeks ago in Cape town. It smokes his Forester turbo as well as his SLK kompressor off the line! :twisted:
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Marius Murray »

:silent: i did not type 'hengse'. Maybe this website changes our words for some gain, somewhere in the universe...... Thanx for this most memorable thread buds!
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

It only made 226kW on the wheels when I had it...
:problem:

Must be sea level...
Marius Murray
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Marius Murray »

by the way, in the centre of the desert i still prefer my unstuckable su's carbs in my ancient patrol that eats lots of juice but never dies..........
Marius Murray
SOLD PAMPOEN.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pasop Marius, off topic, die Mike ou gaan nou-nou sy OEM gasket blaas...

:twisted:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Marius Murray wrote::silent: i did not type 'hengse'. Maybe this website changes our words for some gain, somewhere in the universe...... Thanx for this most memorable thread buds!
Marius

Go edit your post youll see the origional word m... is still there no one changed it, but the software does not like you swearing so it displays a more socially acceptable word. I was also issued with a pot of heavy chilli sauce to come and aply to your mouth tommorrow :shock: :shock:
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: HILUX,CRUISER,FORTUNER

Post by PERS KERS »

OKAY—to all the guys who helped to block my threat Lexcus V8 VVTi--- Thank you, but since this is a STD ECU threat I am back. One thing let’s keep clean and don’t get personal and reply with nice sense of humor.and positive criticism.

Why Rian did sold the superhilux after he change the STD ecu to aftermarket because he had endless problems, if the aftermarket was so good why selling it? That bakkie was the reason I put mine in, I drove that bakkie , was smooth enough power, but unfortunately let my ears out to aftermarket ecu’s. So the 7MGTE & 1UZFE had that on I can’t compare or comment on the different types, but with the 2JZGTE I went std, and never looked back, no mapping or dyno tuning needed.

The spider “look a like” wire connector what Redhammer put on, was actually from the Hilux bakkie which I took out the Ford V6 conversion and installed the 1 UZFE conversion. It is scary how some of the guys out there do conversion; motors are fitted skew not level and ECT. But then somebody past a reply on money or cost? The V6 conversion I took out, that owner paid R28000.00 for that kind of workmanship. I will put pick’s up of that conversion.

The reason I did that Land Cruiser VVTi was to proof a point. That a guy who is not doing conversion for a living can make it look like factory fitted and run like a factory fitted vehicle. In Red hammer’s case he did it for his driver, but then when I joint the forum some of the member’s sent me private messages to say I don’t what I am talking about ect, but those people are quite now, I must actually put their messages on the forum ,but anyway .

My Hilux with the 2JZGTE is running good (thanks to Tim who helped me with wiring issues I had) and it didn’t need to communicate with the donor car’s sensors ECT, the same with the Land Cruiser. To get back to this threat topic, I see the guys struggle with fuel starvation, surge tanks, the time what is spent on that, why don’t they take a Toyota SUV 4x4 or bakkie EFI, strip the tank study the concept and do that in your conversion, like agent’s way.

If I can get a 3UZFE complete motor& gearbox I will stick it my Fortuner, everybody ask me why stripping a Fortuner with 75000 km on Speedo. It’s easy, bigger more power and its STD, why worry it’s a STD Toyota SUV with a kick. If you go over the border it is a STD conversion with 50000km on the Speedo. You can service the vehicle at Toyota or Lexcus because they can plug it in and check diagnostics, this is mos the ultimate reliable conversion available, for normal driving needs. If you go drag racing yes aftermarket perfect, but this threat is about STD ecu conversions here are the pic’s .the ford motor is out and 1UZFE installed and the red one is my bakkie. enjoy the could be in the wrong order so what.
Attachments
I need to clean up the enjinbay
I need to clean up the enjinbay
sony cam foto 262 (Custom).jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
I think the intercooler could be bigger
I think the intercooler could be bigger
sony cam foto 260 (Custom).jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
My Hilux on the way for exhaust
My Hilux on the way for exhaust
sony cam foto 024 (Custom).jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
This is the ford conversion as jou can see
This is the ford conversion as jou can see
4x4 010 (Custom).jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 9900 times
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Alex it was not Rian but Ewald who had the SupraLux. He said he sold it because he was too scared to drive it after the guys finished it but I know him, at the time he had an itch for another vehicle. :shh: :shh: As the publisher/editor of a motoring magazine Ewald's gat is always itching, he never drives the same vehicle very long.

Back to doing the conversions the way you do. Yes there is a market for that with the guys with deep pockets who do not get their own hands dirty but do yo guys really want to be the only ones who can do conversions. What about the average guy who cant afford a complete setup like yours, are we then not allowed to do conversions in your opinion. Isn’t that a bit selfish? What about okes like me who do the mod as a hobby, for me it is a challenge to get the vehicle to run the way I want it with my custom conversion, may I not do it anymore since I can not afford to buy a complete donor setup like yours?

Wake up and smell the coffee, the aftermarket ECU business is blooming because of guys like me. You want to knock the whole industry because you had one or two bad experences with teh first generation ECU which was a far cry from what we have today.

Take a simple 4Y EFI conversion as an example. No one imports compete motors with ECU's and looms intact. The market for these engines are the taxi industry who uses a carb and discard the EFI manifold. So now we buy such a manifold, service it and use it for our conversions. We remove all the old school clutter like a spaghetti network of water and vacuum circuits for different idle up circuits and replace it all with a single VDO/Bocsh type PWM Idle control valve which is controlled by the ecu based on engine speed against a target RPM rather then having separate circuits to detect things like the power steering load or Aircon etc. So we get rid of the old school stuff. Also the ECU uses a map sensor so no need for an expensive Airflow meter.

These bakkies work well with a basic setup that can be bush repaired by the owner if he has only little engine knowledge. If your involved conversion dies somewhere in the gramadoelas will you with a few basic checks over the phone help teh guy to get it going again. I live by the motto of keep is straight and simple on these old bakkies...

Kom ek slaan oor afrikaans toe want ek sien engels is ook nie jou sterk punt nie en ek is nou al biekie moeg. Die feit is so paar van julle ouens het hier op die forum gekom met 'n beter-wetige houding en ons kom probeer vertel wat ons doen is poefies. Jy sal ook upset raak as ek in jou werkswinkel instap en jou begin beledig, ons klomp regulars hier is meestal 'n klomp entusiaste wat like om ons hande self vuil te kry en dinge self te doen. Ons het nie die budget om complete front cuts te koop nie, ons doen ook nie conversions as 'n loopbaan nie maar as 'n hobby so hou op om ons te kom bly beledig deur ons manier as inferior af te maak, ons is gelukkig met wat ons doen net soos julle is met wat julle doen, as jou manier werk vir jou dan good for you hou net op om ons manier te verkleineer.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Bennie het dit mooi opgesom.

Dit is darem ironies dat hulle ons manier kom afkraak het hier, en toevallig het ek een van hulle voertuie self gery, en moes regmaak teen massiewe koste, en op die einde was die enigste manier om die probleem reg te stel die aftermarket manier.

Feit 1: Die OEM ECU kan NIE reg funksioneer sonder 'n spoed sensor nie. Dus sal die werkverrigting NOOIT eers die standaard spesifikasies haal nie.

Feit 2: As jy nie boost pype en die intercooler eers behoorlik kan doen soos wat 'n standaard Supra sou wees nie, hoekom probeer jy nog om die ECU standaard te hou?

Feit 3: Daar is nie eers moeite gedoen om te kyk wat die enjin se standaard werksverrigting temperatuur moet wees nie. Ek moes dit ook self regmaak en uitsorteer deur die korrekte verkoeling sisteem te bou.

Nee wat, die bewyse is in die poeding, en julle poeding was maar bra vrot na my mening!!!! Om vir my te kom vertel dat daai bakkie egalig gery het beteken niks, my kinders se prams ry ook egalig.

Sy werksverrigting was power en die vakmanskap daar agter was power.

Daai polisieman het net mooi niks aan die setup verander nie. Dit was net ek wat 'n mislukte conversion gekoop en reggemaak het, want die bakkie was vir my vrek mooi.

Enige argument oor 'n OEM sisteem is vir my nutteloos, want ek het die gemors eerstehands ervaar.

Wat gebeur as die OEM ECU besluit om te pop? Het jy die R21,000 om 'n nuwe een by Toyota te koop reg?

Enough said, now go away and leave it alone.

Cheers.
Hiluxman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Hiluxman »

Redhummer - it sounds like I will have to fork out around R10 000 for ECU and airflow meter, and then I still dont have a wiring harness.

That's why the aftermarket ECU's are thriving as well, let alone the advantages available to people like me and benHur who wants to tinker under the bonnet when we feel like it.

My brother is going for Spitronics - motor sourced by Lennox from ABL - everything, including bellhousing, clutch kit , radiator and fans for under R20 000! What a bargain!
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Bennie..Well written
Alex’s page regarding management systems created an argument and It was said the page name was confusing and that is why it happened. I in turn named this what it is so there is no confusion.. I never said that the aftermarket side of things were crap and said I am no expert in that field at all as ive never played around with any of the stand alone aftermarket ecu’s. I inquired to see what they were capable of, that is all.. I thought this would be a good thread to help guys with info (engine mechanical and Std wiring) I have all the info on all the 1uz,2jzgte,1jzgte,2uz,3uz,7mget etc.. engines and thought it might be of use to some people out there. I didn’t join for an argument but only to offer information to people that might need it. I know some of the info is a major mission to get as ive been there so I know, even lextreme has a very small amount of info. Parts are very expensive if you do not know where to get them from or who to get hold of to find out. I buy std ecu’s for R500 and air flow meters for around R300. I really do not care if a guy runs his engine on whatever he wants to. All that happened is the aftermarket guys got touchy on the subject and it ended up in insult and mocking of workmanship of mine from 10 years ago. Is that correct? Yes it upset me and ime sure it would everybody on here. That isn’t pleasurable and was not the intention. If I guy askes opinion on an ecu then why cant I give my opinion without being shot. Like people keep saying it is there opinion and not law. At the end of the day if there is no input I can offer to anybody here then there is no point in me wasting my time and would be better in that case to withdraw from the forum once again. Sad I think as we could all get along since Toyota is still what we are all here about.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Guys... this debate is old and stale... give it up... if Mike likes OEM ecu's, let him have his place in the sun... and on the forum... to be honest I'm very surprised at the attitude towards Mike and his preferences... Mike please continue with your thread, I'd really like to see more of your conversion, especially the mechanical bits, like how you mount to engines and what gearbox/bell housing to use with each combination!

mr b
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Likewise, please continue. Banter is what a forum is all about. Take my posts as constructive criticism, not personal vendettas...

I also want to see more, and I promise, no more horrible comments... I have made my peace...

:thumbup:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

I'm with Bretton on this one. Seriously guys, there is no general wrong or right way with ECU's or almost anything for that matter. It's the wrong or right way for you! I personally run an afternarket ECU on my Lexus V8, but has found this article extremely enlightning. I didn't even know it was possible to get std ECU's for these motors... :oops:

Bennie loves Dicktator, Blom loves Microtec, Toybox loves Spittronic, Mike loves std. Who's wrong?

I think this (as every other thread) should be accepted for what it is. Information! By a person with knowledge in this field. Everybody should get off their high horses and let this thread or any like it continue. I personally did not find any of the comments made by Mike or any of the other std ECU guys offending in any way. This thread got personal when Ewald made a joke and Mike took it as an insult, but in Mike's defence he doesn't know Ewald like the rest of us.

Guys, let this thread continue and leave the insults please, we are all adults after all!
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Well I really do appreciate the change in attitude. I really felt terrible about my old hilux as I really loved that truck and tried very hard with putting it together in a way that would not damage the body to the degree that I did compromise performance like Ewald said, but didn’t compromise workmanship as I felt it was a 4x4 and didn’t need that kind of power. It was even said on previous posts by himself that there was too much, even at .5 boost. It is always nice as everybody knows when a guy stops you to see the conversion and when you open the bonnet everything is nice and neat. Blows people away. I take a lot of pride in my work and I find for myself it is worth going the extra mile in presentation.
There isn’t much that I can contribute in regard to bell housings etc.. I found an agent bell that fitted the 7M-GTE to the hilux box. But obviously the standard box simply isn’t strong enough for that motor. At that stage in my life i didn’t have the money to change it to the jumbo box.
The 7M is a great motor, very strong but there are small issues with them like when they were first released they had a head gasket problem. Later upgraded by the agents. They also have a tendency to collect water between the top covers when you wash them down. Causing missing etc..
The ultimate upgrade (in my opinion) would be the 2Jz-gte. Going with the individual coil packs and no cords. Weird how the 7M had individual coils but still used the cords. Would have thought the agents would have done it like they do these days considering they were already there with technology.
Like you saw in the earlier pictures ime in the presses of installing a 2J twin into the Lexus but I am having an issue with the multiplex system in the car. 2J non vvt doesn’t have that technology yet. I haven’t played on it for a while now but am looking forward to giving it another shot soon. Was considering to drop a vvt v8 into it as that would be a really easy job with the wiring. The 2j was an easy fit though.. Had to mill out the tranny support 3mm for it to fit and the engine mounts are simply bolt in if you get two left side mounts from a GS300. A v8 still would be a nice drive in a tiny car like that. So very mixed feelings about what to do. Ive already completed the intercooler setup and it runs great but the traction control isn’t functional yet and that is an issue.
The next project is coming soon though. I have a IS250SE and was seriously considering importing the IS350 or ISF motor from the states
ft-lbf KW Nm Hp
2gr-fse 278 232 377 311 IS350 3.5
2ur-gse 371 311 503 416 ISF 5
Really would be a nice one then.. Something different I guess. Will have to wait for a bit though as those can cost $8000 for the engine excluding transport. A bit steep for me at this stage of the game.

Guys like I said..I can offer you any information on the standard stuff.. Feel free to ask and I will send what I have. It can get a bit complicated as an example there were 7 different ecu’s for the first generation 1uz and some have the same plugs but different pinouts. I can offer info but not time.. I am in mechanical engineering & product development but not cars. I do it as I love it and for no other reason.
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by PERS KERS »

Ag jong dit klink vir my as ek forum lees dat ek besig is om klomp ou bejaarde pasiente se gekerm te hoor. Bennie waar het ek genoem dat julle ombouing crap is, ek het geen sulke opmerkings gemaak nie, wie se wie sleg hier? Het ek vir iemand hier op die forum gese " hy weet nie waar van praat nie , of al wetende houing, of as jy nie geld het nie bly weg van std ecu? Volgens my kennis het ek dit nerens gese nie, as ek het "copy paste" ek sal omverskoning vra. Maar wat ek wel gedoen het was die Land Cruiser aan te pak om n' punt te bewys .So hoekom moet julle beledigend raak? Soos Mike se ,moet nie hierdie threat op neuk nie. So indien ek iets gedoen het waaraan niemand anders aan gedink het nie, moet nie kwaad wees vir my en dan geld as n' verskoning gebruik nie, vra eerder dat ek foto's oplaai en dit vir jou nog n' idee kan wees vir jou volgende projek.

Ewald jammer dat ek jou naam verkeerd geplaas het, ek stem ook nie met jou pypwerk van die SupraHilux, maar volgens jou werk dit, jy moet ook onthou ek niks met daai Hilux te doen gehad nie. Maar ons is nou klaar gestry, kom ons keer terug na die topic, std ecu.

Mike I got hold of a 4.6 Lexcus vvti I want drop in the Fortuner, as far as I know that is also 6 speed auto.? Do you know what is the specs of that car is nm, kw, diff ratio ect?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Guys, can we please cut out the unnecessary squabbling(like should only be found on a knitting forum for 60YR+ old women) and get back to the thread's very informative topic...

Mike I take the trick with using a std ecu is finding an engine with the complete loom, ecu sensors etc. all still in tact... the engines that I have seen at 2nd hand engine merchants have usually been electrically butchered... on my 4Y I didn't really have an option, but to use an aftermarket ecu, simply because the efi 4y was never sold in SA, and the imports don't import them, except maybe a 3YE or 2... but an aftermarket ecu on a 4Y is fine, it's a straight forward engine, requiring a basic ecu to control timing and fueling... besides one minor teething problem(fixed) my efi 4Y runs beautifully... 93kw on the flywheel, which is very good for a 4Y(65kw std)... personally if I attempted an engine conversion with a new generation engine, I'd probably go for the OEM ecu... and only if that fails for whatever reason would I consider an aftermarket alternative!

Here's to a constructive thread!

mr b
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Alex ..The 1UR-FE engine is one from the LS460 Lexus that is lold local and is one of the latest engines.. The car it comes from will set you back around R900-000 here but isn’t worth the outlay I would say. It is married to a eight speed intelligent gearbox so you have all the bells and whistles like the paddle shift on the steering etc.. The engine had a “big Brother” in the family that is pretty much a twin but with the added feature of direct injection technology. It is the 1UR-FSE and produces 283 KW 380 Hp 498NM 367Ft-Lbs.. Nice and totally out of my range.. If you need wiring diagrams and ECU pinouts etc then I can get that for you but will need a bit of time to make sure it is correct for the motor you are trying to get hold of.. I cant start till you can give me the ecu part code.. It will be a nice mod but am not sure if it will fit in a fortuner as it is very big
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Bretton..lol..I like the old woman example.You really made me laugh with the knitting needles sentance. I think at this stage we all have seen everything that happened between us all was unkind and unnecessary but we have all agreed to have peace get along and move forward. Lets keep it like that.. Far better..
Bretton it is unreal how much more power you got on the 4y.. I remember when i had mine it used to drive me crazy. I would pull a small trailer (Venter like thing, maybe a bit heavier) but it was crazy.. I would have to gear down to first up the passes in Nelspruit etc. Impressive.. You got like 30% more from it... I was always under the impression it was a 20% decrease in power on the EFI systems and didnt even know the 4y had more to offer.. See .. Everybody learns a thing or two every day.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Alex..The diff ratio is 3.769 but that looks to be a 6 speed auto.. I know the ones I have see are running an 8 speed so i will need to do a bit of finding out for you and for myself. So I guess my answer remains cloudy.. Will find out and let you know
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Alex here is some more info on the LS460 drive train// Should give you an idea how it will pull…I was right..It is an 8 speed and the previous detail was inacurate... Sorry for that but i am human
It is a very good price but out of my league.. Hectic wiring and please note that it will not fit into the Fortuner. It is a larger engine than the 4.7 by far. Maybe with cutting the poor fortuner but I would suggest you go with another option.. There are 30 pages of wiring only for the engine control and it is all in small print.. Possible but not practical for the application. Go 4,3.. It’s a nice engine, should fit is a lot cheaper and easy on the electrical.. But here is what i have for you regarding preformance... If you need anything else tell me as I now have most of the info

90 Degree V8, aluminium block and heads, direct and port fuel injection 4.6 liters (281 cubic inches) Four cam, four valves per cylinder, with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence and Electronic intake valve timing (VVTiE)

Eight-speed sequential-shift automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT-i)

Compression Ratio 11.8:1.. 380 hp @ 6,400… 367 lb-ft @ 4,100

Certified Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle(ULEV II)

0-100 in 5.4 seconds
¼ mile in 13.9 seconds
16/23 mpg
Final Drve ratio 2.937:1
Tires 245/45/19
Curb Weight 2,105 kg
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Will become an option one day though...Check how it has a rear mount sump///
Ls460 Engine.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dot worry Brets your loom was not the worst I have had under my hands, except for those LEDs on the chassis, cape flats style
PERS KERS
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by PERS KERS »

Bretton that output is impressive, did you play around with different cam's ect? Have somebody looked at that GMW bakkie's, don't they use 4Y with efi,or is that a totally copy of a Toyota 4Y ? And what is the output on those bakkie's? Because that could be a easy mod and I think not so expensive option if it is a Toyota product.

Mike that 4.6 will be styling, but I don't want to cut my Fortuner, the rear sump is a positive ,so I am back to the 4.3 vvti with 441nm. Thanks for the info. I take it then the ISF is also a no go!!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Hi Guys

Can you guys that know these engines a bit better tel me the following: Will the Coil on plug setup of the later VVTi motors fit a older 1UZ with the two dizzy setup properly and where can I get my hands on a set like this?
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Bennie...I seriously doubt it would be an easy mod as the cam covers are totally different. There would be issues being able to fit them properly with there mounting bolts etc. I will place two diagrams of the two engines for you to look at so you can decide. Personally I wouldn’t do it as it would not really make a noticeable difference in the performance or the smoothness of the running.
Hope the information will help and if there is anything else you might need please let me know.
Diagrams will follow
Why are you looking at doing this mod? Why not go for the 1uz vvt. It is a wonderful engine. There is a major increase of power between the non vvt and the vvt.
redhummer

Post by redhummer »

Here are some of the pictures just to give an idea of the problems fitting the vvt igniters onto the non vvt engine.. I will look for some better drawings and post them if i can find some. It looks as though the tappet covers on the non vvt will be too narrow
Attachments
VVT 2.gif
VVT 2.gif (7.83 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
VVT 1.gif
VVT 1.gif (19.25 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
non vvt.gif
non vvt.gif (8.48 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Thanks Mark

I don't want to hijack your topic so I am starting a new one here

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=10036&p=112467#p112467
Jimj
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Toyota DC 2.2 4X4 1996
Club VHF Licence: none

Post by Jimj »

Evening Hummer. Hope you're on line. I'm about to go to Engine Den and buy one of the 1UZ engines on special with the gearbox. Is that a good deal? I have a '96 DC 2.2 Raider with a Bros Speed conversion. Want to put a Lexus V8 into it and do the job myself. Good with my hands and mechanical. Up for anything.

Jim

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”