Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

conversion problems flippin Fuel pump

Post by pampoen »

When i did my 7mge conversion i placed the fuel pump directly under the fuel tank and it is connected to a surge tank fuel cell which is fed from a hole in the bottom of the tank and connected to my VW 2.5 fuel pump which when on level ground does splendidly well,but im guessing because of the compartments to stop fuel swishing around in the tank and because the pump is connected to one side of the tank every time my tank is half full and i go up a hill the pump sucks air and i lose power which is not cool for offroad!!! has anyone fitted a submerged pump before? what pump have you used? has anyone changed there tank? How hard is it to fab one and how much would they retail for? so many questions!!! so little time!!!
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: conversion problems flippin Fuel pump

Post by JohanM »

Luke

the reason why your set up is not working is because the gravity feed from the tank to the surgetank is not "controlled".

As far as I can understand you do not use the steel pipe coming out of the tank. That pipe is designed to pick up the fuel from the bottom of the tank and also has a seive attached to the end in the tank to prevent dirt from going into the fuel line.

Also when doing a surge tank it it best to mount the surge tank infront of he main tank to either gravity feed it into the surge tank or use a Low pressure pump like a Flasher pump to keep the surge tank full.

Then the HP pump can be used from the surge tank to the fuel rail.

Also the return line should be conncted to the surge tank and the surge tank to the main tank to prevent the system from over pressurizing it and blowing a pipe off.

Hope this help you.
Johan Marais
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Luke, I have the same problem. I still need to work out the best way to do this.
If anybody has done this, some pics would be nice.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I used the original fuel pickup in the tank, just upgraded the 8mm steel pipe to 12mm, copied the profile of the original pickup pipe, just made sure it's 100% at the bottom... there are no baffles in the std Hilux tank... I've looked... I don't have any surge, or LP feeder pump... my setup:

[Petrol Tank]->12mm ID pickup->[LP fuel filter]->12mm ID fuel hose->[HP fuel pump]->8mm ID fuel hose->[HP fuel filter]->8mm ID fuel hose->[Fuel Rail]

I keep the tank above 1/4 full when offroad... never had a problem with fuel starvation... even on long dune charges...

Mr B
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

On my setup I've got an 8mm pipe running from the normal pickup to a filter through a facet pump into a 1.5L surge tank. From the surge tank through another filter through the high pressure pump to the fuel rail. From the FPR the return goes to my surge tank and not the main tank.

Till not absolutely not problems and I have run to very close on empty.
To God be the glory
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

Cassie, have you got any pics of your setup?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I had a look but don't seem to have any. I can try to take some this weekend.
To God be the glory
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

That will be great, Thanks
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I've got this diagram of what Cassie describes... I was going to go this route as well, but haven't needed to
fuelSupply.gif
fuelSupply.gif (19.4 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
The FPR return and fuel tank inlet connect to the top of the surge tank, with the outlet to the HP pump at the bottom...

MrTurbo will probably have a surge tank or 2 for sale...

Mr B
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

That is exactly the setup... :)
To God be the glory
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My 6 loop lekker en ek het nie al die probleme nie, het dit ook nog nie gehad nie. Op n 6 kan jy nie rond tjorrel met n LP pomp nie. Maak jou suction pyp dikker soos Mr B se en gebruik die selfde soort HP pomp vir suction as wat jy gebruik om jou petrol na die fuel-rail toe te pomp. En Johann is reg met wat hy se dat die return line na die anti-surge tank toe moet gaan, n pyp van daaraf terug (van die anti surge tank af) na die groot tank toe om druk te voorkom. Oja en 500ml vir die 6 is baie temin kyk na so 2-3L tank. Sorg dat jou inlet van die groot tank af bo ingaan en die suction kant wat fuel-rail toe gaan onder is. Die return na die groot tank moet jy ook maar aan die bokant sit.
Hoop jy kom reg, hier is n ander topic wat die goed bespreek en wat fotos het. :thumbup:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Very interesting , I must say.

Now would it be acceptable to have a mechanical pump feeding the surge pot and then the rest if it was to be used on a 2.2 EFI conversion as I don't believe she should need such a high pressure and the mechanical I imagine should be able to keep up with the demand?

Cheers

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

what low pressure pump would you recommend? as i dont have a low pressure mechanical pump like the old 2.2
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Here is pics of my setup I found on my PC. It does not show specific details but you will get the idea. If you still want I will take pictures this weekend.
Ramp1.jpg
FuelSetup.jpg
1) Fuel filter
2) Facet fuel pump
3) Surge Tank
4) High Pressure Pump
5) High Pressure Fuel Filter
To God be the glory
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Cool guys thanks for info but whats this Facet fuel pump? i see my setups completly wrong,my tank cover plate hangs about 50mm lower than before as a result :{ never let a drag racer from a certain area near durban do your fuel system conversion!!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

pampoen wrote:Cool guys thanks for info but whats this Facet fuel pump? i see my setups completly wrong,my tank cover plate hangs about 50mm lower than before as a result :{ never let a drag racer from a certain area near durban do your fuel system conversion!!
Facet pump AKA low pressure fuel pump. Works with a diaphragm

AFAIK they are not so sensitive to airlocks etc.
To God be the glory
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

I would look at the main pump before I look at a surge tank setup. What is your flow rate and pressure on your current pump ? Im looking to go for the bosch 044 and it's strong. 300 LPH and can go to 6 bars. I suspect that this hilux pump is running out of steam at top end and thus causing poor atomization and maybe affecting the fuel consumption.
V8 SOLID
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I am already running the Bosch pump. It might be a bit overkill but The pressure and volume is there. What ever fuel is not needed goes back to the tank. I am running a 19mm pipe from the tank to the fuel pump, so I have not had any problems with airlocks. My only problem is when the tank is on empty and I go around a corner that the engine starves for a few secs. Once I am around the corner it recovers quickly. I reckon all I need is a small surge tank just before the pump and it will sort out that problem.

Where do I get one or have one made up?
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Mark

I'm busy making 1 at work for my EFI conversion, go to your nearest engine machine shop, and ask for a old cylinder lining.

I got 1 for free from them as they are scrap and should hold depending on the 1 you choose, about 1/2 a litre which should be ample.

Just weld the ends closed with plate and add the pipes/inlets you require.

Oh and it looks neat cause you can polish it if you want.

Zane
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

I was so lucky to get mine from a fellow member and it's made of aluminium
To God be the glory
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Zane, do you mean a sleeve? and which one did you use.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I wonder if one can use a VW Combi filter before the pump to act as a surge tank.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi Mark

You're spot on, I'll try and get a pic.

I'll try and take some piccies now this morning as it's here at work and post them.

I think it's an Isuzu 1, if you not in a hurry, I will try and get you 1 and send it.

Zane
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Zane that will be great. When you make it, are you making the inlet at the top and the outlet at the bottom? How do you propose to mount it to the body? Maybe one can weld a plate on the side so we can bolt it onto the chasis. You might have to braise it because the sleeves are cast iron.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi Mark

I'm planning on having the outlet at the bottom, return to tank at top, return from fuel rail half way and the inlet from mechanical pump (LP) half way.

The sleeve I have, is mild steel, well lets say it aint cast iron, my welder checked this first.

As for the mounting, was planning on just a flat bar across with holes to secure it to the firewall/wheel arch.

Zane
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Why do you want to use a LP pump? I am sure that once the surge tank is full being gravity fed and being mounted lower than the tank you would not need a LP pump. You only need enough petrol to keep you going while the petrol in the tank has moved to the otherside when going around a corner.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi M8

I'm planning on mounting my surge tank/swirl pot in the engine bay, along with the HP pump.

This allows me to keep things realitivly close to standard on the piping side and should I ever get into a situation where I need to go back to carb, I can with no hassles.

I'm also planning on using the standard pick up from the tank so gravity feed would'nt work that well.

Zane
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Wouldn't this affect your belly clearance though having the surge tank gravity fed from the main tank?surely it would be better to have it fed with a little pump somewhere higher up on the chassis?
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

My pump is a foot away from the tank and mounted on the inside of the chasis ladder. It has been there for 6 years with no problems, so I plan to mount the surge tank in between my tank and the pump. I reckon there is enough space to mount it slightly lower than the tank to gravity feed and still be out of harms way. I dont have much space in the engine bay and it will be easier to get to under the vehicle to do repairs if any.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Maddoglips wrote:Very interesting , I must say.

Now would it be acceptable to have a mechanical pump feeding the surge pot and then the rest if it was to be used on a 2.2 EFI conversion as I don't believe she should need such a high pressure and the mechanical I imagine should be able to keep up with the demand?
Zane
Injectors need pressure otherwise you would not get the right effect, all car using a efi system have a HP pump :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Spartan wrote:
Maddoglips wrote:Very interesting , I must say.

Zane
Injectors need pressure otherwise you would not get the right effect, all car using a efi system have a HP pump :wink:
Jaco, apologies for not making it clear, but I plan on putting a HP pump after the swirl pot, just need to know if the mechanical pump is sufficient to feed the swirl pot?

Cheers Zane
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Look at the diagram, LP pump feeds the surge tank, between the surge tank and fuel rail you must have a HP pump, petrol fuel injection needs between 2.5 and 3.5 in the fuel rail for the injectors to work properly.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Mr_B wrote:Look at the diagram, LP pump feeds the surge tank, between the surge tank and fuel rail you must have a HP pump, petrol fuel injection needs between 2.5 and 3.5 in the fuel rail for the injectors to work properly.
Hi Bretton

what I would like to know is,

the mechanical(LP) pump on the engine, is it's flow rate/supply gonna be sufficient - well it be as effective as the electric 1's. To supply the swirl/surge pot. :?:

Some guys say yes others say no so still getting some more input to help decide.

Cheers Zane
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux 3UZ vvt-i. Disco 3 V8 4.4 L. G Wagon 3UZ vvt-i . Polo 2.0 converted...Volvo S40 2.0

Post by Demon »

It should work because you have got your return back from the motor which is feeding that surge tank aswell.

Whats causing your pick up to suck air ? Iv never had any crap with my hilux and even now with the 1J motor. Maybe the fact that you have put a exterior pump and your pick up is alot smaller. I see that the bosch in tank pump has got a huge pick up area
V8 SOLID
Demon
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Demon »

Do any of you guys know what the 2.7 fuel pump flow rate is ? Can't seem to find any info on that pump
V8 SOLID
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Luke
This is what my setup looked like when I did the conversion, I am going to change the pipes to braided hoses when I get a chance
Attachments
08062009485 - Copy.jpg
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thats a very nice looking job there. Who made it and how much?
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Gunta wrote:Thats a very nice looking job there. Who made it and how much?
Gunta
That was a bit of a expensive exercise, about 7.5K, and my brother made it for me since I am out of country, and he did not smoke me, I got all the slips.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Ouch my balls hurt and I have a cough :lol: :lol: I have already spent about R85k on my hilux plus the cost of the vehicle which means I can never sell it.
My aircon cost close to R9k on my 7mge to custom make under the vehicle.
I think I will have to make another plan, but yours really does look good.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Maddoglips wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Look at the diagram, LP pump feeds the surge tank, between the surge tank and fuel rail you must have a HP pump, petrol fuel injection needs between 2.5 and 3.5 in the fuel rail for the injectors to work properly.
Hi Bretton

what I would like to know is,

the mechanical(LP) pump on the engine, is it's flow rate/supply gonna be sufficient - well it be as effective as the electric 1's. To supply the swirl/surge pot. :?:

Some guys say yes others say no so still getting some more input to help decide.

Cheers Zane
Zane, the flow rate shouldn't be an issue, a LP pumps flow rate is usually good, but it cannot generate the required pressure... here are the facts:

Facet LP fuel pump flow rate: 95 litres/hour or 1.58 litres/minute
Avr. HP fuel pump flow rate: 300 litres/hour or 5 litres/minute

Let's say the that only half the HP pump fuel supply is returned via the FPR, then the swirl pot would have a feed rate of around 4 litres a minute... I'm pretty sure 4 litres a minute would suffice... else you could always run a second LP pump... but then things may get noisy...

Mr B
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Maddoglips wrote:Hi Mark

You're spot on, I'll try and get a pic.

I'll try and take some piccies now this morning as it's here at work and post them.

I think it's an Isuzu 1, if you not in a hurry, I will try and get you 1 and send it.

Zane
Apologies for the delay, but better late then never :twisted:
Attachments
IMG00194-20100608-1024.jpg
IMG00195-20100608-1024.jpg
IMG00196-20100608-1027.jpg
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Thanks Zane, I think that should work quite well.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”