Steel head gasket for a 7M engine

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Steel head gasket for a 7M engine

Post by Dingo »

Various topics and references have been made that the 7MGE and 7MGTE motors tend to blow the head gaskets and that when replacing these gaskets one should replace with a steel one for better reliability.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get one of these gaskets.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Steel head gasket for a 7M engine

Post by ThysdJ »

Give Hoppy (Allan Venter) a call... he knows exactly what you need to get, and where to get it... (021) 982 8232 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Steel!??? ... I've never heard about that .... annealed (softened) copper, yes, but not steel. :think: Let us know what Hoppy says. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

There are steel gaskets that get used for this purpose Andy. Kaspaas is fitted with a Reinz steel and copper gasket though... and the head bolts is torqued somewhat over spec. No head gasket problems.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Never too old .... we live and learn! :D: :thumbup: :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Kry n Ajusa staal gasket en lees die installation details wat saam met hom kom, dit werk as jy lees. :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Hi Thys

Thank you for the help / info, I'll give Allen a call a bit later or on monday.

Just been to the engineering shop to look at why the gasket was leaking water - wasn't the gasket, but one of the water pipes at the back of the head. The head was already removed and we checked the bottom end and found that the rings and bearings need redoing :( , so the decision was made - redo the whole thing - so my monster will soon have a new heart. :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Scott, isn't it cheaper to buy another decent condition 7MGE, I heard some say it's cheaper to just replace it??

I know that it's cheaper to replace a Lexus V8, than it is to redo the heads...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OOM_B wrote:Scott, isn't it cheaper to buy another decent condition 7MGE, I heard some say it's cheaper to just replace it??
Bretton, even if this is true, it's still a better option to refurbish the existing motor provided the bores are still OK. At least then you know what you have and that everything is taken care of giving you peace of mind and trouble free motoring. With a 2nd hand replacement motor it's 'luck of the draw'. :think:

Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Mud Dog, my decision was based on your thinking. I looked at just getting another engine and dropping that in, but by the time you've got the engine, changed all the belts and fitted it the pricing was about R2k' difference and for that amount I decided to go with that I knew the motor was good and peace of mind.

The bore, pistons and crank are all good and all that needs doing is a hone, new bearings and rings and the head will be totally recond.
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

You should look at a Cometic head gasket and a set of ARP steel head bolts.
You can get it from Turbo and Nos in Jetpark Johannesburg.
Mine has been in for 5 years now and over 150 000km
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Should be getting my Baby back this weekend, looking forward to driving her again. :yahoo: :yahoo: Let you all know how she goes.
Gunta
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

What have you done and what has cost so far? I am also looking at rebuilding mine now. I have done almost 300 000km on it now and it has started to use some oil now.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Hi Mark

appologies for the delay inresponse, I've kinda been outta the office.

Yes I got my baby back and she's running sweet. I haven't done much milage as yet, so I can't give you too much feedback.
Basically I rebuilt the whole engine.
- new psitons & rings ( rebored the cylinders to one size up)
- bearings
- complete refurbishment of the head ( re-seated the valves, new guides, skim, etc.)
- new HT leads, plugs
- steel gasket ( from Gemini Spares)
- Remove and refit engine
- The engine rebuilders felt that the water pump and oil pump was still okay, so thet didn't replace that.

With all of that, I'm sitting on R12k. The job was done by Henco Motors in Benoni.

What I have noticed, with everything all nice and new and tight that the engine temperature is now running 5-10 degrees hotter. I'll have to moniter that and if need be upgrade the radiator. I might even do this anyway, as I believe the current radiator is the original.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

300 000kms, damn that's serious milage. What do you do with the vehicle to get that milage?
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

Dingo wrote:Hi Mark

appologies for the delay inresponse, I've kinda been outta the office.

Yes I got my baby back and she's running sweet. I haven't done much milage as yet, so I can't give you too much feedback.
Basically I rebuilt the whole engine.
- new psitons & rings ( rebored the cylinders to one size up)
- bearings
- complete refurbishment of the head ( re-seated the valves, new guides, skim, etc.)
- new HT leads, plugs
- steel gasket ( from Gemini Spares)
- Remove and refit engine
- The engine rebuilders felt that the water pump and oil pump was still okay, so thet didn't replace that.

With all of that, I'm sitting on R12k. The job was done by Henco Motors in Benoni.

What I have noticed, with everything all nice and new and tight that the engine temperature is now running 5-10 degrees hotter. I'll have to moniter that and if need be upgrade the radiator. I might even do this anyway, as I believe the current radiator is the original.
Scott,

Can you please give me the contact details of the oke who fixed your bakkie?I am also thinkong of redoing my engine and the price you mentioned is not that much as I have got qoutes for,please also advise if you are happy with that guys work or did you have any problems regarding the service or quality of work?
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Hi Marius

Henco Motors
17 Park Street
Benoni
011 421-8035
Dewald.

As of right now I have had no issues with Dewald in terms of service and everything seems to be working all okay. He told me that it would take about 2 weeks to do the job and that's how long it did take. I am happy so far.

I would suggest that you give him a call and go around, see him and discuss the work to be done.
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

Dingo wrote:Hi Marius

Henco Motors
17 Park Street
Benoni
011 421-8035
Dewald.

As of right now I have had no issues with Dewald in terms of service and everything seems to be working all okay. He told me that it would take about 2 weeks to do the job and that's how long it did take. I am happy so far.

I would suggest that you give him a call and go around, see him and discuss the work to be done.
Thanx will do
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

I'm going to Bela-Bela this weekend to spectate a regional car rally and am taking the bakkie with. That should give me a round trip of about 400kms, should be able to get a nice feel of the engine.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Hi Scott, I do about 60 - 70 thousand km a year. I am an estate agent and I sell plots and farms as well so I drive alot. What size pistons did you use and what make? I am thinking of boring mine out a bit as well. I was thinking of using BMW pistons as I met a guy a few years ago at Turbo and Nos who races these engines and he uses them. I need to get a bit more info on this first before I start.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Hi Mark

I'm not too sure what pistons were used, the guys that rebuilt my engine also use to race the 7M motor in Off-road Hilux SFA, so I left all the rebuilding details up to them.

What radiator have you got fitted to your bakkie, any issues on overheating?
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

Nope, I have a 3 core radiator that is used in the diesel engines. It works like a charm and sits on a quarter.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Dingo »

Hi Mark

I assume you are refering to the 2,8 diesel engines that were in the same SFA shapes. I think the operative thing is that the radiator must have 3 cores.
Gunta

Post by Gunta »

I am not sure if it came from the 2.8, but you must definitely use a 3 core. I have no issues with cooling. I have been runing this conversion for 6 years now.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”