Hi. New member need advise conversion 2.2 '96 DC to Lexus

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Jimj
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Toyota DC 2.2 4X4 1996
Club VHF Licence: none

Hi. New member need advise conversion 2.2 '96 DC to Lexus

Post by Jimj »

Hi to all. New member. Need some advice on a Lexus conversion to my 1996 HiLux DC 4X4 2.2 Raider. Have a standard 2.2 motor with Bro Speed conversion. I get approximately 7klms to the litre. Would like to go the Lexus conversion but not sure what motor to use. If I do go this route, would I have to change the diffs? Would like to do the conversion myself. Would I get better fuel consumption figures? Possibly swop phone numbers with anyone who has already done the conversion.

Jim
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Re: Hi. New member need advise conversion 2.2 '96 DC to Lex

Post by Bloues »

Hi,
Contact "Ziets" (on forum) - he has done the conversion !!!!

Lots of info !!!
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

:welcome: :welcome: Wat wil jy doen met die voertuig :?: Off-Road of elke dag ry voertuig. As jy nie gaan off-road doen nie sal ek sê doen die V8 dit klink mooi maar as jy wil regtig gaan off-road doen sal ek voorstel kry vir jou die Lexus GS 300 se engine die 2JZ GE. Laas genoemde het baie minder pynne vir installasie en die parte is maklikker om te kry en daar is nie n gesukkel met Fly-wheels en bell housings nie en jy koop alles van die rakaf by Toyota.
Wat die ECU aan betref sou ek jou aanbeveel om n after market een te kry, hier is n paar manne wat sal verskil maar dit is elke ou se keuse. Ek persoonlik gebruik n Go-Tech pro X omdat ek die 2JZ GE VVTi engine gebruik maar die none VVTi het nie daardie box nodig nie en dit maak dit bietjie goedkoper. Met die engine gebruik jy jou std ratkas en die bell housing bout net so vas op hom, geen adaptor plates en special bell housings nie.
Baie manne dink die quad cam V8 van Lexus is die alpha en die omega maar dit is net omdat hulle oningelig is, wat die reguit 6 cylider lekker maak vir off-road is dat op 1200 RPMs is hy in sy vol torque curve en dit is waar die verskil inkom, die V8 km heelwat later in sy torque in.
Daar is nog baie maar ek is nou moeg getik.
:bye: :bye:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Jim, Hoeveel KMS het jou 4y op? As jy die conversion doen sal ek belangstel in die ou motor.
ZIETS
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux SFA Lexus V8 fitted with Mickey Thompson 33x12.5R15

Post by ZIETS »

Hi Jim. For me the Lexus 1uzfe motor, imported by a couple of companies. Phone engine den at 0123862786 engine and gearbox R4950.
But they also sell the complete front of a Lexus, everything you need will be there computer box, radiator (original) even the steering wheel with cruse control, and also keep in mind you will be able to get the most kw out as all the sensors will work with the original management system as to only a few on a aftermarket management box where you will surly sacrifice some kw and torque.
I visited them in June some time and they had 3 front ends @ R19’500 sure a lot more expensive but I think it’s worth it.
The engine and box is not expensive but the conversion itself is tricky and very expensive so I heard, not to sure why? Ummmm keep your eyes open for sharks. Hope this made some sense and just one more thing I bought my Hilux with the motor already in and it’s a dream really is worth it if you have the recourses to do it.
Jimj

Post by Jimj »

Thanks guys. Very nice replies, wasn't sure what to expect.

The truck has done 450,000kms. About 10,000 kms back I bought a 2.2 brand new motor, (R5,000) not sure if a genuine Toyota engine and put that in whilst I overhauled the original engine with the Bro Speed conversion.

Just about to put it in when I read about the Lexus conversion, hence the interest. The idea was to sell the 2 engines and put in a Lexus. Born to Fish - once I decide what to do I'll give you a shout.

At the moment I use the truck to fish once a month, but fancy a go at putting in a good motor. Might do a bit of off-roading, not sure. Like the idea of putting in a good strong motor.

Not very good with Afrikaans, Spartan, but are you saying that the 2JZGE motor is pretty standard and fits straight onto the gearbox? Does it need the "box"? The 2JZGE VVT1 sounds good, but you say involves more and needs the box?

Ziets. Is your truck fitted with a 1UZFE motor. Could you e mail me at jimjathome@mweb.co.za

I'll have to research what all the engines are about.

Regards,

Jim
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Jimj wrote: but are you saying that the 2JZGE motor is pretty standard and fits straight onto the gearbox?
The bell housing you buy from Toyota for this exercise is a straight bolt-on, if you go the 2JZ way I will give you the part number.
Jimj wrote:Does it need the "box"? The 2JZGE VVT1 sounds good, but you say involves more and needs the box?
Yes you will need the "Pro X computer box" from Go-Tech that manage the fuel and timing.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

dont mean to start any thing, however the torque power curve of the V8 are just as impressive!!

pic from http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe_info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

self dont know much about the 6cyl, however have done quiet a bit of research about the lexus V8
here is one way of looking at it: in years gone by every one (ok, well almost) was doing ford V6 conversions!! and one would hear of great and crappy conversions and all the stories that went with that one!! as with the lexus V8
now days the Lexus V8 conversions is the prefered conversions of the day!! they are being fitted into any thing that you can think of from Ford F-250 to Mitsubishi Colts and pajeros, isusu, nissan navara, kia, musso and obviously into the hiluxes!!

reason why self am going this way, is we tow quiet heavy when we go away we take all the toys and the house along!!

every one says they are great motors!!
yes have self seen some butchered jobs, and have seen some great looking and working conversions!!

self have started with the preparations to do the conversion into a Ford Courier 4x4, however still need a few small parts and have decided to wait till we back from leave (September) to get started!!

have ridden in a ford bakkie with the conversion done, and it was better then the 3.4 that I have!!
its very smooth, and from the reading that I have done they tend to do high millage!!

as for cost believe it can be done for under 30k quiet easily if you doing it self and do your homework properly!!
cant prove that yet, however am keeping tabs on all my cost!!
labor cant count as its almost a labor of love!!! :lmao:

self am in Germiston, and will be home this weekend, so if you wish to hear a bit more of the info that I have feel free to send me a PM and will give you my details!!

best forums/sites for info on these conversions is right here and http://www.lextreme.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good luck!!

and the Chery on the cake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOiGQt_DbE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that is actually my motor before I took it home!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimj

Post by Jimj »

Thanks Fernando.
Will contact you.
Have done some research on prices:
Flywheel 3000
Bell housing 3000
Radiator 3000
Engine 4950
Clutch 1500
Harness and box 3500
Exhaust 3500
Mountings, water pipes, dash conversion etc 3000
Total so far R26,000.
Steering conversion
Power steering conversion.
Aircon conversion.

Still fancy it though. Imagine doing it and it comes out right.

Jim
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

just one thing that I dont agree on, and that is the radiator!!

either you can use one of the toyota radiators or as many have the BMW 740 radiator, and depending on where you are I can get them for R1300 incl Vat at ''Thermo Radiators" in jet park

and they look on the ball!!

if you are thinking of having something custom made, there are easier and cheaper routes!!
for 3k one can get a all aluminum radiator from the US from one of the local V8 shops

then keep this in mind!! had two 4 core radiators made localy by ''silvertons'' what a load of junk and a load of excuses
paid 3.8k for the 1st one, and before the guarantee was over there were sweat mark, my fault that I did not send it back soon enough, for the second one, paid only for the core 2.2k just after a year later same prob!!
and the 1st core they told me it was think and could not be repaired ..........................................they repaired it however less then a week it would have a new leek!!!

so either one of the Hilux radiators that sure other members will recommend or the BMW 740

a few months ago had on a similar thread what I planed that my costs would be!!
also posted the info on my own site, and here it is!!
http://www.kfxnando.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you will see on my list the price of the radiators, also had 3k for that one at that time!!

hope this helps!! :mrgreen: :reading:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Jimj wrote:Thanks Fernando.
Will contact you.
Have done some research on prices:
Flywheel 3000
Bell housing 3000
Radiator 3000
Engine 4950
Clutch 1500
Harness and box 3500
Exhaust 3500
Mountings, water pipes, dash conversion etc 3000
Total so far R26,000.
Steering conversion
Power steering conversion.
Aircon conversion.

Still fancy it though. Imagine doing it and it comes out right.

Jim
Geniet die gesukkel :bye:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Ry die vyand
Club VHF Licence: B01

Post by Castos »

You need to add 2x rotors and a cambelt. That's about R2000. Radiator get hold of a KZTE Surf's one from toyota. Cost is R800 and 1 16'' electric fan. Cost R450+. Just make sure the fans motor housingis made from steal. Those made from plastic don't last.

PS: The Surf's radiator has an build in oil cooler. Works well with the powersteering that is prone to overheat. There is no dash conversion needed, power steering is just the plumbing, as as for the aircon.

Best thing I've ever done except buying the lux.
97 Hilux Raider D/C With some exstra's
Elands4x4
Ons gaan dieper en bly langer!!!
Jimj

Post by Jimj »

Thanks Castos and Fernando. I'll bear everything in mind. I'll keep updating as I go along.

Jim

Jim
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Castos wrote:You need to add 2x rotors
:?: :?: :eh: :wth: :confused: :scratch:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Castos »

Spartan wrote:
Castos wrote:You need to add 2x rotors
:?: :?: :eh: :wth: :confused: :scratch:
Rotors for the distrubitors. They are always broken when you open the motors. R110 each at Toyota.

On consumption. I did a trial this weekend. 130km in total with 30km offroading. 4L in 1st and second. I used 20l of petrol.
Elands4x4
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Castos wrote:Rotors for the distrubitors.
Met die 7M's en none VVTi 2JZ's is dit die caps's en die rotor wat alewig gebreek is.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Castos »

Die goed raak brittle. raak aan hom dan breek hy in stukkies in.
Elands4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I assisted Hoppy last night road tuning a Lexus V8... with Spitronics Advanced EMU... I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the sophistication and easy of use of the tuning software... also liked the fact that you can tune the cruising fueling/timing separately from the max performance fueling/timing... I was impressed with how smooth it transitioned from one load point to the next... all in all, if I ever fit a Lexus V8 I'll seriously consider the Spitronics EMU... but on a basic engine like the 4Y/22R l'll still stick to a Dicktator! Must say after some tweaking of timing and fueling maps that Lexus was singing beautifully...

Edit... and oh that exhaust note at 6000rpm... lieflik!

Mr B
Castos
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Castos »

You need to hear that sweat exhaust note at 11 000rpm!!! Sound like the end of the world. Was standing next to on at the dyo last night. Not a Hilux but in an RX-7.
Elands4x4
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Jim, hier is nog info wat Piet geplaas het:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=9522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Castos wrote:11 000rpm!!! Sound like the end of the world.
Klink meer soos moord :silent:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”