4X4 Evangelist
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Modjadjiskloof
Vehicle: '92 4Y D/Cab 4x4 Hilux

Lexus V6 or ADE236 on SFA

Post by 4X4 Evangelist »

Good day,

I've got a question for all you heavy 4x4'ers. I've got a stock standard SFA, '92 4Y. The engine has done 500,000km and eventually started slapping itself around inside. I now need to decide to either re-line and redo the whole shebangle, or to go to another engine.

If I go to another engine, I need something with lots of low-down torgue at low revs. I once had a Land Rover with an ADE236 engine (before you shoot me, I am now converted :yahoo: ). To me this was the ideal engine. Man, I dragged 4-ton Dynas out of deep mud, idled [almost] up walls, etc.

My question [No.1] now is; would the SFA chassis and gearbox handle this monster's weight and torque?

My second question involves the Lexus V6 (not V8) motors found in the smaller, older Lexus. Has anybody doen such a conversion? If so what are your findings regarding the torque, fuel consumption, etc? Where can one buy such motors?

Thanks-a-stack and curiously awaiting your replies :sos:
Who knew...? Who knows...? Who will ever know...? Well, it all depends on where you are standing....!
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Lexus V6 or ADE236 on SFA

Post by JohanM »

Dr Paul,

I would personally redo the motor, seeing that it has given you excellent service. I would also do an EFI conversion on it and have a nice reliable almost standard vehicle. The EFi conversion when set up with the correct tuning ect does have a lot of low end torque.

I think the SFA chassis will be able to handle all the torque you mention from the ADE engine, but transplants do have theething problems and most of them due toe the nature of conversions not being done 100% correct lead to unreliable vehicle's.

Also conversion never cost what it is quoted, as they have lots of theething fases that needs to sort out and it does cost.

M2cw
Johan Marais
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Lexus V6 or ADE236 on SFA

Post by BlumTRD »

I would opt for the ADE . But a smaller one.

For your needs diesel would be nr1
Last edited by BlumTRD on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Adelaide
Vehicle: Toyota camry altise. Till I find a replacement hilux.

Post by rebuilder »

I rebuilt a ade 236 into a land cruizer once and it worked beautifully. How ever the hilux suspension etc wont handle the weight and size of the ade236. I would rather stick to your 4y or get a straight six.If you have money to go diesel, then 5L is also nice for low down pulling.
There is a madness about been mad that only a mad person can understand.
Diesel and dust is where home is at.
4X4 Evangelist
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4X4 Evangelist »

Just for interest sake, does anybody know the weight of the ADE 236 engine?

I have stated to look around at some specs and found the Lexus V8 coming in at anythng between 190kg and 215kg (different people's weights). How true is this?
Who knew...? Who knows...? Who will ever know...? Well, it all depends on where you are standing....!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

For me low down torque and simplicity would steer me in the direct of a Mazda/Ford WL2 engine... it's a 2.5 turbo diesel, oodles of torque, decent fuel consumption and it fits nicely, pretty easy conversion, I've driven one, very nice! Slap on an intercooler and decent exhaust you get even more vooma!
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

Oh yes, with a ade236. Dont be in a rush to get anywhere. You could pull a house up a hill, just very slowly. Loaded or not.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I'm sure at some stage Land Cruiser where available with an ADE option? 234 or 236, I don't know
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

Yes. in the early 90's models. I put one in an early 80"s model that originally came out with a straight 6 motor. Found it on auto trader for sale some time after i sold it.
Attachments
This was it.
This was it.
rebuilder
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by rebuilder »

does anyone recognise it or now who has it now.
4X4 Evangelist
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 4X4 Evangelist »

JohanM wrote:Dr Paul,

I would also do an EFI conversion on it and have a nice reliable almost standard vehicle. The EFi conversion when set up with the correct tuning ect does have a lot of low end torque.

M2cw

JohanM, thanks, and can you elaborate a bit more on the EFI. I know much has been said on this forum about EFI on the 4Y. In spesific which EFI conversion are you refering to and what does this "correct tuning" entail?

You imput is much appreciated.

I would prefer to keep it standard and I have found a bit more info. The ADE is a monster at +/-500kg, so both suspension and chassis would have to be modified accordingly - which I don't want to do.

The V6's doesn't come cheap, so I'd rather look at getting someone to re-sleeve the 4Y and keep ot standard. It is less expensive and I won't have any problems. Therefore, I'll be looking at the EFI option for sure.

Thanks all you guys for all the advice. I just love this forum. I wish I could be more active.

Shalom aleichem
trooper4x4
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn

Post by trooper4x4 »

Hi guys
Are you sure the ade 236 is that heavy ?? thats almost 180kg's heavier than a big block V8 ford !
I would have guessed around 240kg ish :blink:

I am myself in the process of swapping the ford 302 v8 in my trooper for one of these engines .

Still cant believe i sold my 1998 sfa ltd ...
trooper4x4
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Oudtshoorn

Post by trooper4x4 »

Update : OK the ade 236 is just as heavy as a big block petrol v8 !
350 kg's !!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would prefer to keep it standard and I have found a bit more info. The ADE is a monster at +/-500kg, so both suspension and chassis would have to be modified accordingly - which I don't want to do.

The V6's doesn't come cheap, so I'd rather look at getting someone to re-sleeve the 4Y and keep ot standard. It is less expensive and I won't have any problems. Therefore, I'll be looking at the EFI option for sure.
Paul, I think you just answered your own question. Personally I would stay with the carb and forgo the EFI ... especially in your case. Spares are easily found throughout Africa and a carb can always be "jippoed with some bloudraad" if you run into problems in a remote area. It's a cheap option by comparison to conversions and you know the reliability of the 4Y. A cheaper option still would be to get a knock-off 4y and transfer your sump, carb and other peripherals onto it. (They may also be available as sub-assemblies .... cheaper still.) You could then keep the original and have it refurbished in your own time as a standby / replacement. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The ADE is to heavy, to tall, and it is low revving, with your gear ratio you might get 100km/h on a downhill.

Keep it std, maybe a brospeed conversion.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Mr_B wrote:For me low down torque and simplicity would steer me in the direct of a Mazda/Ford WL2 engine... it's a 2.5 turbo diesel, oodles of torque, decent fuel consumption and it fits nicely, pretty easy conversion, I've driven one, very nice! Slap on an intercooler and decent exhaust you get even more vooma!
if you looking to get more power and are willing to do a conversion and DONT want a Lexus V8, then this is best advice!!

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi Doc.I am driving my 5th hilux sfa. I installed a 7mge cressida engine to one of them years ago and found the hilux to perform very well.The problem was that the gearbox had to be repaired on three occations and the diff also gave problems. The drivechain could not handle the power.I met a fellow hiluxer who lives near Hankey (close to Port Elizabeth) who fitted a 2,7 i engine to his sfa hilux and has had similar problems with andthe drive chain. My advise is to keep the vechile standard and and chances are that it wont let you down in the bush. I currently drive a non turbo 2.8d sfa hilux,much to my wife and sons disgust(too slow and noisy) but I plan to keep it standard as it performs well in the bush and is fairly light on diesel and I believe it is bulletproof.Takes longer to get there but gives you time to enjoy the trip.Well, thats my 2 cents worth.Happy motoring.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”