7mge or lexus v8

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
sidewaysfrans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: 1988 hilux, 7m engine, OME suspension, snorkel, ARB bumpers, 120l s/s fuel tank,diff locks f/b

7mge or lexus v8

Post by sidewaysfrans »

Hi guys I know this is a sore subject but i need advise.

My baby has a 7mge engine in, now ive got 35" tyres and steel bullbars front and back, rooftop tent, gona be building a alucab soon.

this is whats wrong with it so far- number 1 sparkplug get wet with fuel every now and again
- leaks oil almost everywhere
- power steering pump gives me about 10km/l

Should i just simply repair all the faults.
Buy a import for about 7k.
Or go for gold and put a lexus v8 in.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: 7mge or lexus v8

Post by Scorpion »

That is a difficult question, as it will be determined by your budget and the "itching factor"... :twisted:

The problem with going Lexus is that it's a whole new conversion with all the associated headaches. The cost would be much more, as you would need new EMS, new bellhousing, new engine mounts, etc. It's massive job with a lot of extra costs. And you most certainly will not get 10km/l with 35" tires! :blink: I get about 7km/l on mine - still beter than the 4,5 I got on the 4Y, but certainly not a good as yours...

As for buying a new import motor, or repairing your existing one. If you have had your 7M for a while and know it's quirks and condition, I would rather repair it (depending on the cost). A "new" motor is also not new and you do not know what you get until it's fitted, started and driven. On my "new' lexus we had to do belts and water pump shortly after fitment and the same (or worse) could happen with a "new" 7M. If you repair yours then you know what's been done and what condition it's in. But then again if it's going to cost R30k to fix, then buy an import - R25k is a lot of change to fix problems...

Good luck!
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

If you can afford the 60K+ bill, the Lexus V8 is the clear winner!

If you got budget constraints don't even consider the V8, it always costs a packet more than you originally thought! Then, if you can find a decent condition import 7MGE, go for it... even by today's standards it's an excellent engine and they are starting to get a bit more scarce, so keeping the old one for spares would be handy! Repairing your current engine will probably be more expensive than installing another import engine! Just don't forget the give the new engine a major service... and definitely replace the timing chain/belts!
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

Hallo Frans,
Wat die twee here hierbo se is die waarheid. Ons het 2 7M masjiene op die pad in 'n d/k SFA en die ou 3l diesel. Die een het ons nog geen probleme gegee nie, behalwe die nou-en-dan se olielekkie, maar die ander een het PRESIES dieselfde simptome as joune, en kragstuurpompe is skaars ( nie by die handelaars nie, maar ons het nie R 6k nie ) Dis heerlike masjiene, maar ek dink hulle tyd raak nou uitgedien. As ek kon sou ek Lexus gegaan het, maar die gras lyk mos altyd groener anderkant die draad. As jy dit oorweeg, is die geheim om dit by die regte plek te laat doen. Jy sal hier op die forum kan vasstel wie dit is. En ek glo nie dat 4x4 en 7 M en Lexus V8 in dieselfde asem as brandtofbesparing genoem kan word nie.m50c
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

If you wanted to do an engine conversion from scratch, I would say Lexus. But seeing as you have the 7M already, I would say save yourself a heap of frustration and fix/replace the one you have.

I am also a 7MGE veteran,and loved it to bits... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Most fantastic Hilux I ever owned, and I had a few...
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
sidewaysfrans
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: 1988 hilux, 7m engine, OME suspension, snorkel, ARB bumpers, 120l s/s fuel tank,diff locks f/b

Post by sidewaysfrans »

Thanks guys im thinking im going to buy a import 7mge i found one with a wiring harnes and fuse box for R7500

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”