Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: jhb
Vehicle: 95 hilux

high performance 4y motor ???

Post by jontheron »

Not sure if it is worth it but I have a spair motor so would like to play with it a bit . What modifications can be done to a 4y motor for better torque hp and throttle responce I know efi is a big one then gass flow and swirld ss valves what pistons rods and crank can be used and what compreshion ratio should I be looking for. It will be a replacement for my chinease 4y until I get my 3uz

Any sugestions would be much appreciated
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: high performance 4y motor ???

Post by Thabogrobler »

What about a nice turbo?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

jonathan , i agree if you have a spare and want to play turbo the thing if it packs in so what but it will be something new , maybe just go for a t3 small exhaust housing for low rpm boost as revving the hell out of it wont help but if you can change gears at 5000rpm why not. thats what im doing with my lexus with 2 x ct12 turbo yes they are a bit small but then i dont have to drill the motor as they come on song at 1800rpm and at 5000rpm you have more than enough with an auto to go to the next gear and still be in boost.
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Well now the awsome thing is I have a turbo that needs a lil tlc but I was wondering what kinda power could be acheaved from normaly aspirated if not verry much I'll think about turbo or supercharger as iv just finished supercharging my golf and its awsome I want the torque fron idle as it is a off road toy I also would like it if the motor didn't run away on a down hill due to the lower compreshion for engin brakeing I am not looking to go bonkers and use alternat feul as my golf has to run on avgas and is not cheape to run
Last edited by jontheron on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's my understanding that a 4Y doesn't like a turbo very much ..... if you get it set up right without pushing the boost to high it should work fine, but one hears about more blown motors than success stories. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

In agreement with Andy.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

if you do turbo , do it properly
open up and change what neeeds to be changed
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I ran a modified 4Y in Bolt very successfully. Managed 93kw on the flywheel, 70kw on the wheels.

Just do a search on the forum as I have given a detailed breakdown of exactly what we did to achieve this some time ago. The engine mods + cold air induction + efi did the trick. Using the correct cam(not brospeed) meant that the engine kept the low down torque and had power up the rev range.

I always wanted to build a 100kw+ 4Y... one day when I upgrade from the Vigo back to a SFA!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I built a 115kw normal aspirated motor, it wasn't very happy at low rpms. but from about 1800 rpm it made power beyond 6500 with the peak at about 5700.
I tried a big valve head, but it had no torque at low rpm

4Y's doesn't like Turbo's, they are not cross flow, so the basic design is wrong, we managed 125kw at one stage, burt we could not get the gasket to last.

We did the following;
Flowed the head and swirled the valves (std compression)
276/282 split duration cam
Solid lifters with adjustable rockers
Adjustable cam sprocket
Std pistons
Head stud kit
Balanced the lot
Lightened the Flywheel
Brospeed branch & 57 freeflow
Dictator EFI
Keeping the revs up with my left foot on the clutch at the challenge obstacles eventually destroyed the thrust washers and cranck.
It was replaced with a 3.0 Camry motor and then with a std 4Y Brospeed motor, it runs a KZTE now wich is std at the moment, but we are working on it.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

JEEPIE wrote:if you do turbo , do it properly
motor is open already what would u recomend being changed if i did go turbo rods and pistons ? remember i dont want to spend to much money on this as id rather put it into my v8 fund or gu diff fund
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

jontheron wrote:
motor is open already what would u recomend being changed if i did go turbo rods and pistons ? remember i dont want to spend to much money on this as id rather put it into my v8 fund or gu diff fund
Now then, there is you answer: Go to Builders and for R12.95 you can have a nice new Wire brush. Scratch as and when needed and save for the V8! :angel:
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Thabogrobler wrote:
jontheron wrote:
open up and change what neeeds to be changed[/quo

te]
Now then, there is you answer: Go to Builders and for R12.95 you can have a nice new Wire brush. Scratch as and when needed and save for the V8! :angel:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: i cant help it the itch never goes away ,this was supposed to be my everyday car until i found out it had a leaky ezhaust gasket

i was thinking about doing the same to my 4y but the v8 is sounding so tempting
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Hoppy wrote:I built a 115kw normal aspirated motor, it wasn't very happy at low rpms. but from about 1800 rpm it made power beyond 6500 with the peak at about 5700.
I tried a big valve head, but it had no torque at low rpm

4Y's doesn't like Turbo's, they are not cross flow, so the basic design is wrong, we managed 125kw at one stage, burt we could not get the gasket to last.

We did the following;
Flowed the head and swirled the valves (std compression)
276/282 split duration cam
Solid lifters with adjustable rockers
Adjustable cam sprocket
Std pistons
Head stud kit
Balanced the lot
Lightened the Flywheel
Brospeed branch & 57 freeflow
Dictator EFI
Keeping the revs up with my left foot on the clutch at the challenge obstacles eventually destroyed the thrust washers and cranck.
It was replaced with a 3.0 Camry motor and then with a std 4Y Brospeed motor, it runs a KZTE now wich is std at the moment, but we are working on it.
id love a 4y with that kinda power the only thing is i want it from low down so maybe not such a wild cam one with no overlap ???
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Looks like a 8V crossflow Citi with a blower.

Ibought a blower for the 4Y, but never fitted it, think it will work well for low down torque

The pistons and rods on the 4Y wasn't a problem, it handled 1 bar boost, but we couldn't get the gasket to last, even copper ones blew.
I still wanted to try the piano string grooves, but i was "gatvol" and all the turbo & blower bits are collecting dust at the moment.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
jontheron
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by jontheron »

Hoppy wrote:Looks like a 8V crossflow Citi with a blower.

Ibought a blower for the 4Y, but never fitted it, think it will work well for low down torque

The pistons and rods on the 4Y wasn't a problem, it handled 1 bar boost, but we couldn't get the gasket to last, even copper ones blew.
I still wanted to try the piano string grooves, but i was "gatvol" and all the turbo & blower bits are collecting dust at the moment.

yup its a mk1 gt with power steering bm 540 radiator high compreshion caravell 2.5 pistons and a merk supercharger gass flowed head g60 cam full suquenchal ignishion with launch control and traction controll ha ha ha :laugh2: :twisted:

what are piano string grooves ??? and what supercharger wer u going to use ?

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”