Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Boeta Mac
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: kraaifontein-Cape Town
Vehicle: hilux 2.8d dc raider 2x4,yaris sedan spirit,1996 2,8D RAIDER LWB 2X4

Hemi v8 concept on Lexus v8

Post by Boeta Mac »

Is anybody familiar with the concept the Hemi v8 uses where it disables a few cylinders on cruising or when all power isnt required?

What actually happens to disable these few cylinders?

The reason in asking is that if i can incorporate a similar feature, the Lexus v8 can be more economical??

The Perfect Power management im fitting to my 7m for my d/c hilux 4X2 can somehow do sumthing similar.....

Any ideas????
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hemi v8 concept on Lexus v8

Post by Mud Dog »

Don't think it's a worthwhile exercise, Llewellyn .... can get a bit complicated. One would have to have two separate ignition systems configured over the cylinders in such a way that the motor will still run smoothly / balanced on the 'main' system ... then the control of the injectors needs to be 'cut' for the unused cylinders. You would also need to have decompression valves to be activated on those cylinders, otherwise you would be losing a lot of power to overcome the compression on them.

I think that ideally something like this should already be incorporated into the original design of the motor. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hilex08
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilex V8, Ford Ranger 2500 td, C55 AMG

Post by hilex08 »

Dont wanna be ignorant, but why cut off cylinders when you can utilize that glorious V8 to its full potential, at all times.

Might as well fit a 4 Cyl from the start?? :boss:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Definately the future of high performance engines.

SADLY a LOT of time is spent in traffic where the max is not needed - then idle along. and have a very economical engine.

when you "put foot" you HAVE all the power ... :)
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Probably just a matter of time until someone comes up with the idea (oops, someone just did) of two separate motors integrated into the same block, but each with it's own crank ... the two cranks married together with a torque converter before the clutch so that there is no drag at all from the idle motor if you're only running on one side.

I think it could work. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Imagine the torque from two 4Y equivalents, side by side! :D:

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Andy that reminds me of the guy that put TWO GTi motors in a CITI golf - one in the front, and another driving the rear wheels.

Now THIS could make a nice 4x4 driving concept ..... Off cource with some DECENT motors ...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm sure it would work .... IIRC the Bugatti Veyron utilizes that principle, but I'd prefer to be able to select 4x4 when I wanted it, regardless of whether I was running on ½ or full power. ;-)

mark watson
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux

Post by mark watson »

can be done but you will have to run 2 throttle bodies one for each bank and shut the one down as for the rest just switch the power to that bank of injectors off , leave the spark as it wont do anything.
by closing the 1 throttlr the 4 cylinders wont run as a compressor and sap the motor of power.
wiki the 1gz fe v12 toy motor they can shut a bank down.
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Why bother to fit it to a different motor???

Just fit the HEMI and you'll have a MONSTER on your hands
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

just go right ahead and get a Hemi Jeep!!! :tease: they are great fun!!

jokes aside, as far as I know all new EFI motors shut off the injectors when throttle is closed, like when slowing down or on a downhill with the foot off the throttle!!
its a fuel saving measure!!

although not half the cylinders when standing at the lights!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”