Lexus autobox and still keep 4x4?

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Lexus autobox and still keep 4x4?

Post by Reinart21 »

Morning Gents,

Quick question :blushing: :blushing:

Can you use a Lexux v8 motor with the lexus autobox and keep your 4x4?

Anyone with a new vigo and a 3uz vvti?

I need you guys to convince me it is a bad idea to go that route, I really am considering...
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: Lexus autobox and still keep 4x4?

Post by zepplin »

Reinart, that's TWO questions! :twisted:

I can only help with the first one, the guys have an adaptor plate for the transfer case so you can keep the 4x4 - after all that's the whole point - but it does mean that the propshafts have to be lengthened & shortened.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 2.5D4D, DC 4X4

Post by DawidT »

Hi Reinart,

I am certainly going to follow this threat - sorry for high jacking it :surrender: . my plan is also to do a Lexus conversion on my 2008 Vigo. Do you have any specific people that will do the conversion? Maybe someone in the area that you can recommend (I live in Witbank)? I would like to take the Hilux in and a couple of weeks later to go and pick it up - all as before the mods and everything working!

Do you have any info on:

1) Costs?
2) Fuel consumption?
3) Lexus box or standard 5 speed manual?
4) Reputable garage / person to do mod?
5) OEM management or aftermarket?
6) What do you do with your old engine and gearbox - keep or sell?
7) What about the market value of the Hilux after the mod?

Did any one else do this mod on a 2.5D4D?
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Hi David, your throwing me with questions here lol...

Just read through this thread, and it answered quite a few of your questions.

Have a look at: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=28741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it is a reality, your Lux will loose it's market value. As in my case it will probably keep me from doing it for a couple of years unless circumstances allow for it. Hopeful.

Reputable person to do this will not be to difficult to find on this forum, again look at previously mentioned thread, there are a few guys with know how. I don't know the guys in person as I am fairly new to this forum, you could always PM Ali3n, I'm sure he'll send you in the right direction.

Regards to gearbox. Personally want to keep the autobox, I don't carry the knowledge or specifics, but if you are considering, please do your research, seems that everything must be taken into account, wheel size, eg. 32" 33" etc, diff ratio's and then some.

I'm not going to go into fuel consumption, as this is heavily influenced on drive train and ECU used. Though there are a lot of results from different guys with these conversions. I do agree though that the newer vvti models are more efficient and economical than the older v8's.

Now for the ECU, again comes down to what gearbox and what you are looking for. Seems the OEM ECU is great as it sets itself, always a winner, though some guys prefer spitronics, it's cheaper and has some extra functions regarding the autobox in low range gear selecting, but that's only what I've read, no personal experience.

I don't think you're highjacking my threat, I think it's more me who's going to be following your conversion ;)
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

zepplin wrote:Reinart, that's TWO questions! :twisted:

I can only help with the first one, the guys have an adaptor plate for the transfer case so you can keep the 4x4 - after all that's the whole point - but it does mean that the propshafts have to be lengthened & shortened.
Is the propshafts up to the task? Or do we get a lot of "koeksusters"?
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

If you want more POWER buy the 3.0 D-4D
If that is not enough get the V6
In both those you retain the value of your Hilux with no extra hassels
If you want a competition vehicle, go for something with a short wheelbase

Just my 2CW
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

Haboob, shhh, you're going to make everyone see the light and then no more Lexus V8 sales!! :lmao: :lmao:

True though what you said. :surrender: :surrender:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Unless your D4D is giving you hassles then I won't bother with the Lexus.

I'm by no means an expert, but a friend of mine used a Surf KZTE manual gearbox with the 1UZ in his SFA, kept the diffs (2.4 petrol ratios) standard. The ratios are fine, lots of power but not too much speed, I think he gets +- 180km/h GPS which is too fast anyway :lol: And yes he can (only just) beat a 3.0 D4D from pull away...

If you're going the Lexus route I would say that you could keep your D4D drivetrain as is or maybe opt for the manual box (if auto currently), just less hassles than auto
hansman
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux sfa

Post by hansman »

Helo
Hilux Surf transfer fit at Lexus autobox I am using the Lexus autobox and surf transfer vertualy bolt on
Hansman&Vaaltyn
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Good advice, don't do it, get a SFA to toy around with
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”