NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: YN57R

Engine swap possibilities? YN57R 3Y petrol

Post by NZ_N57R »

Hello friends,

I have a YN57R, I believe you call these Bakkies over in SA, but mine is the 2wd model (terrible I know, I'd love a 4wd chassis to put my body on). I am having never-ending problems with my carbureted 3Y engine.. New leads, spark plugs, distributor rotor and cap. Carburetor cleaned out, new gaskets and plunger from E-bay. Anti-dieseling solenoid cleaned with fine grit sandpaper, lubricated with WD-40 and hardwired to the ignition to bypass the emissions control box. Spayed all around the motor with engine degreaser with no signs of a vacuum leak. Yet it still refuses to idle properly :frustrated:

I have a few questions for the forum; Is the idle air/fuel mixture screw supposed to be wiggly? It is on both my carburetors, perhaps both of them are stuffed..? :surrender:

2nd; Will a R151 auto transmission fit inside my gearbox tunnel? Is it hard to convert a 4wd auto transmission to a 2wd transmission? I'm contemplating putting a 1KZT-E 3.0 turbo diesel engine, or perhaps a 3RZ-E 2.7 petrol in my pickup. I have a feeling the 3rze and the gearbox will be closer to bolting up than the 1KZ. :surrender:

Any feedback appreciated... Thanks from New Zealand :thumbup:
I used to know everything. Now I know nothing :thumbup:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Re: Engine swap possibilities? YN57R 3Y petrol

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Jez

What Dizzy you got? Old type contacts and condenser or new type Elec Ignition. Did you test the coils?
NZ_N57R
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Kerikeri New Zealand
Vehicle: YN57R

Post by NZ_N57R »

Hi Louis,

I have the new type, magnetic pickup. I haven't been able to find a coil on my truck. I was actually wondering how they work? I'm assuming the distributor produces the spark, as it's only got 4 leads out, not the usual 1 in 4 out. My knowledge lies mostly with older diesel engines.

Thanks
I used to know everything. Now I know nothing :thumbup:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Ok

Measure the coil ohms to specification. Your coil will be part of the dizzy itself. Will be on the backside of the dizzy.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

You could fuel inject the motor the 3Y came out with it alternate is kzte I got a Toyota bell housing for my conversion.

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”