New Engine for my Hilux

Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
Jack Tarr
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.0 1982

New Engine for my Hilux

Post by Jack Tarr »

Hi guys :wave:
I have just joined the site and feels like I am amongst family. Nice to share my Hilux Enthusiasm with all of you.

I have a 1982 Hilux with a 2.2 Engine. When I tow a caravan I cannot get away and feels like I have not power. I am now looking for a new engine and would prefer Petrol and cahborated.

Would you please let me know of any suggestions for other engines.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: New engine for my Hilux

Post by ToyX4 »

Hi Jack Tarr. Welcome home.

Do a search on the 7MGE and Lexus V8, there are quite a few discussions on them.

Enjoy the reading, and don't forget to show off your Hilux
ImageImage
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Re: New Engine for my Hilux

Post by Scorpion »

Hi, Hans! :wave: Welcome to the family!

Before anyone can really answer your question, is there any particular reason you want to stay with a carburator?
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

If you wanna stay carburettor the cheap and nasty would be a Frot V6.

If you are a purist and want to stay Toyota and do not mind a good EFI setup then yopu can choose between the 3RZ -2.7i 4cyl (2.7i Hilux) or the 7MGE 3.0 litre 24V straight 6 (Supra/Cressida) or the 5VZ-FE me thinks (3.4 V6 Prado)
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Welcome here Hans. I hope you enjoy your stay with us. :thumbup: You say you want more power. Dont we all!! :lol: :lol: If you are looking for petrol/carb-fed power you have but a few options, like Ford V6 (approx 110 kw) or smallblock V8 (as much as you want to spend kw) or is that power going to be too extreme for your needs? :shock:

Otherwise if you want to go the EFI route, you can do the EFI conversion on your existing 4y engine (good gain in power) and do cams etc (a la Bosvark), or you could upgrade to a 7MGE (130-150 kw) or even Lexus V8 (180 - 190 kw)?? motor.

There are others, but these conversions are the most popular. There is a lot written about this issue in previous discussions, and a lot of advice has been given about it,scratch around a bit, you will find the answers you are looking for.. :lol: :thumbup: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Hi Hans. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here and find what you are looking for.

I have a 2.4 (22R) bakkie. I would have never even thought about towing a caravan with my bakkie but since my EFI conversion my bakkie is a totally new beast and I believe it would tow a caravan oh so nicely
To God be the glory
Jack Tarr

Post by Jack Tarr »

Hi guys!
Thank you for your prompt replies. Scorpion, to answer your question, I prefer carburator coz its cheaper and I don't know how to do the fuel Management system myself.

Guys, I am really trying not to sound like and idiot :roll: but what is the "EFI route" to follow???
I don't have a clue what this is but it sounds like an option.
I have looked at the Lexus V8 and am concidering it but the sump is a problem.

Will go and search some of the previous discussions and see if I can find any additional information.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :wave:
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Zandyl »

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Howzit Jack

I believe that EFi 'ing your existing motor will give you the power gains your looking and certainly your cheapest option right now. :thumbup:

BenHur does the conversions in his spare time from his home in Pretoria, why not PM for a cost. :P

Welcome to the Forum Jack, you'll find all the Hilux info and have lots of lekker chats here :P :mrgreen:

Rich
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the family!

A 4Y is an excellent motor, I too used to tow a caravan around with mine. At the time I had a standard 4Y, carb fed, at most I could tow at 80-90km/h, touching 100km/h at times(read downhill). First of all how many kms has your 4Y got on it?
If the km is high 250 000 km+, then EFi(fuel injecting) is probably only partially going to help. For an EFi system to work well your engine will have to be in good nick, else you will be wasting your time.

I read above that you were considering a Lexus, so you must have to money available then... 8 ) A lexus conversion will set u back anything from 65K(basic engine install) to 100K(basic engine+brakes+suspension+++). I know you said you want to stay with petrol, but I just wanted to let u know about another option, a 2.5 turbo diesel conversion, this conversion would be perfect for towing and offroading, I driven one myself in Cape Town and was blown away!

If you have the cash and really want to stay petrol, I would definitely rather look at the 7MGE conversion(3L 24V STRAIGHT 6), a 4Y 2.2 is always going to take strain a bit towing a caravan, even with the AR40 cam and EFi upgrades.

B
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

8 ) hi welcome, good luck with the upgrade
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Consider a Hilux 2.7 I With a carb and distributor conversion, the engines are a bit expensive, but it's the easiest and by far and the most reliable conversion you can do. Everything except the mounting brackets and the inlet manifold are off the shelf toyota parts.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Jack Tarr

Post by Jack Tarr »

Hi guys!
I can't thank you guys enough for all the advise given, so many options and just one bakkie! :crazy:

I will contact BenHur regarding the EFI, at this stage it sounds promising. Hoppy, you also gave some good advise regarding the 2.7 which I will look into.

Will keep you all updated with the heart transplant on Old Jack Tarr, expect some pics soon of the old chap.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

HI Hans welcome sure you will enjoy it here. All the guys here are very helpfull sure you will find what you looking for :)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pukekohe
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by GOOSENZ »

hi there mate put a lexus V8 into it and the put a front mount sump on the engine and then there will be no problems at all
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

pics for the 7m

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice pic for the petrol heads
Attachments
7m.jpg
7m.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
John