Post questions, advice and pictures of Engine conversions here
modderbok
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 2.7i 4X4

3,4L Engine Conversion

Post by modderbok »

Inforamtion wanted: I own a pre-facelift 2,7i Hilux and seen a SAFA hilux with 3,2L prado engine conversion the other day with auto box. This looked and sounded like an awsome piece of 4X4 to own and was wandering why this type of conversion was not more popular? Are there any other persons out there that have attempted this, but on a IFS version Hilux. I have done everything to my engine that I have thought would improve the power vs fuel consumption and still find it lacking in most departments. I don't think having a 3,4L engine will change my current fuel consumption much. I'm frankly more worried about who can do this type of conversion properly with reliability being my biggest concern.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: 3,4L Engine Conversion

Post by ToyX4 »

Marius, a while back I was also interested in this engine.
I think the main reason for not seeing many, is the cost of the engine.

A 7MGE cost about R4500, and the 3.4 V6 costs R17 500. A Lex v8 is about R9000 IIRC.

P.S. I'm going Lex V8 towards the end of the year :D:
ImageImage
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Die 3.4L is nie so hot nie die Quadcam V8 is n beter roep :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

As ek reg onthou; Toyota het nie die eerste IFS Hilux'e met die enjin beskikbaar gestel nie want daar was issues met die steering box en die enjin. dink nie daar was genoeg plek vir altwee nie.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Alan Venter sal jou die beste raad kan gee
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If I am not mistaken the pre-facelift IFS Hilux came out standard with a 3.4 litre V6 in Australia, I am sure some of our Ausie members will be able to help with this.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Tinman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: perth
Vehicle: 1991 hilux surf with 31" kuhmo kl71's

Post by Tinman »

yes as far as i am aware the pre-facelift IFS Hilux came out standard with a 3.4 litre V6 in Australia.
i will double check on it for you though.
modderbok
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 2.7i 4X4

Post by modderbok »

Would love to drive one of those Ausie ones! Why must Toyota SA always dictate what South African will be forced to buy? awaiting your response eagerly :mrgreen:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

modderbok wrote:Why must Toyota SA always dictate what South African will be forced to buy
Jong eintlik moet ek liewer niks se nie want ek het n paar sterk opinies oor daai vraag :confused: :( :thumbdown:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja Modderblok, I remember that time well because at the time Toyota was the only double cab 4x4 without a V6. So it did not make sense that they did not want to bring it to South Africa at the time.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Eish Marius, I think you're on to something lekker here :thumbup:

the 5VZ-FE (3,4l) mouter is (in my mind) the perfect heart for a Lux, Toyota had 100% confidence in it and went on to put it into the bigger, heavier peer boy the Prado :P

Without doubt an SFA's biggest drawback is its choice of puney power plants; the 4Y "reliable but donkey pace", the 22R "not quite there" all leave the SFA wanting nê :(

It's great to witness Luxes with Frod's/7M's/3VZ-FE/Lexus series/etc... but I have to ask "why did Toyota choose the 5VZ-FE over the other muscle in its stable :?: :think:

I hope you crack on with the transplant, I'm quite excited to see and follow this thread man :thumbup: :mrgreen:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I also think this would be a very reliable conversion. I think the only draw back is the expensive engine, but I am sure if you look around you might find one at a scrap yard. There was a SFA with Prado motor at Hoppy's at some stage and I have heard off (not seen it yet) about somebody in Somerset West with an IFS with Prado motor (3.4). So it has been done before, I am not sure if we have the owners of those vehicles on the forum yet.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

pietpetoors wrote:I also think this would be a very reliable conversion.............

There was a SFA with Prado motor at Hoppy's at some stage ................

Allan let Bennie (BenHur) and I have a little play in it when we visited his workshop last September :mrgreen:

waaaaaaaaaaaa-whoooooooooo.......... :o: . :shock: :crazy: :crazy:

I fell in lurv with it there and then mos :mrgreen:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm open to correction, but the 3.4 lit motor and bell is a straight bolt on to the SFA box with only a re-machined spiggot bush bearing required and of course the EFI harnass, ECU etc. But the downfall apparently is that they are extremely thirsty, and for the same or better fuel economy, guys were opting for the Lexus V8.

There was a reason for this not being a popular conversion. Maybe someone can throw more light on the subject. What about the 3 lit V6 ? Which of the two would be the better powerplant as an SFA conversion.

prado v6.jpg
Engine.JPG
Engine.JPG (52.31 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote: What about the 3 lit V6 ? Which of the two would be the better powerplant as an SFA conversion.
Same head gasket problems as 7m's.... :roll:

google it Andy' you'll find lots of okes throwing out their 3VZ-FE's in favour of the 5VZ-FE's :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I think the problem is that it costs about the same to do the 3.4 V6 conversion as it does to do the Lexus V8 conversion... and the guys that can afford the V6 job can afford the Lexus job... and lets be honest that V8 is one mighty fine engine and sounds awesome! Bigger bragging rights enol hey!

B
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

"Thirsty" is relevant. Even with Lexus some guys claims to get 9km/l and others moan about their 4km/l. I think the "thirsty" is at the end of the right leg.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

pietpetoors wrote:"Thirsty" is relevant. Even with Lexus some guys claims to get 9km/l and others moan about their 4km/l. I think the "thirsty" is at the end of the right leg.
You're dead right there Pete :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I think the "thirsty" is at the end of the right leg.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the case in any event Pieter, but obviously more so with a bigger motor. :D:
I think the problem is that it costs about the same to do the 3.4 V6 conversion as it does to do the Lexus V8 conversion...
Does it really Bretton. OK, I'm under the impression that you can source a Lex V8 cheaper than the 3.4 V6. (Why that should be does'nt make sense :? ) but the V6 fitment is easier and cheaper than the Lex V8, which is supposed to bring them more or less on par IRO overall cost. But is it really so? With that bigger, heavier, more powerfull V8, there are so many other hidden issues .... drive train (Incl. diffs & axles) ... birfields .... suspension ... suspension mounts ... Shocks .... shock mounts ... wheel-well cutaways ... completely re-configuring engine bay layout to accommodate that motor .... and it goes on. I would opt for the lighter more compact motor, I think. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Mud Dog wrote:but the V6 fitment is easier and cheaper than the Lex V8, which is supposed to bring them more or less on par IRO overall cost. But is it really so? With that bigger, heavier, more powerfull V8, there are so many other hidden issues .... drive train (Incl. diffs & axles) ... birfields .... suspension ... suspension mounts ... Shocks .... shock mounts ... wheel-well cutaways ... completely re-configuring engine bay layout to accommodate that motor .... and it goes on. I would opt for the lighter more compact motor, I think. :think:

I'm with you there Andy, the V8 Lux Conversion is full of engineering mods which equals lots of gremlins and potential gremlins. :problem:

Like I said earlier, if Toyota rubber stamped the 5VZ-FE for the Lux then that speaks volumes to me :Geek: :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Yes... true I didn't think about it in such detail! I did see a surf with that 3L V6 in it at Allan's workshop... it's a pretty engine!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

it's a pretty engine!
:lol:
The 3 lit looks neater than the 3.4 lit, and its intake is on the correct side so you don't need to switch the donaldson and the battery over. :wink: pity about the head gasket problems :(

Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Ek se julle as jy n conversion reg doen kos dit jou altyd baie geld, maar as ek weer moet kies vat ek weer my 2JZ GE toe oe en volgens my is n L6 beter as n V6. Die V6 klink so Ford :twisted: Daar is al baie huiswerk gedoen op die 2JZ GE en hulle werk 100% Ek kan nie kla nie. :thumbup: :thumbup: en jy kan hom maak werk met die Dicktator, Gotech, Microtech en die n baie betroubare bakkie he. :wave:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Mud Dog wrote:pity about the head gasket problems :(
Anybody who is still experiencing head gasket problerms with a 7M has been living with their heads up their backsides for the last 20 years. The solution to that problem was found in the 90's already and was applied since then. Any 7M that stills run a "standard" head gasket since that time does not have head gasket problems.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Kaspaas wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:pity about the head gasket problems :(
Anybody who is still experiencing head gasket problerms with a 7M has been living with their heads up their backsides for the last 20 years. The solution to that problem was found in the 90's already and was applied since then. Any 7M that stills run a "standard" head gasket since that time does not have head gasket problems.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Oom Thys, Andy is referring to the 3VZ-FE's HG Probs, not the 7M's :shock:

R :wink:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Same head gasket problems as 7m's.... :roll:
And I am referring to 7MGE's head gasket problems you mentioned Richard... :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
... 5VZ-FE for the Lux then that speaks volumes to me :Geek: :wink:
1UZ is starting to speak more and more volumes to me :shh: :shh:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

As jy na V8 kyk gebruik die 2UZ hy is so bietjie van n verbetering op die 1UZ, en die 3UZ is maar n copy van die 1UZ maak die selfde krag :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Hang maar af wat is beskikbaar teen watse moela :wink:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Ek is seker iemand het iets gese van die bellhousing van die 1UZ wat erens pas op die standaard g/box van die lux maar lees dit nou nie weer raak nie, of verbeel ek my nou :mrgreen:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan

Return to “Engine conversions (Lexus/7M-GE/3RZ-FE etc)”