Intercooler or snorkel on KZTE

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: KZTE on Biodiesel

Intercooler or snorkel on KZTE

Post by B100 »

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 KZTE which I run completely on biodiesel. In general I loose about 8-10% power on the biodiesel compared to normal petrodiesel. I have been wondering for some time if I should put in a SAC intercooler to compensate for the power loss or would a normal Safari snorkel do the trick? I would love to hear your ideas.

Another thing, I have had my bakkie in and out the garage for about 5 times without them being able to fix my rear diff lock. When I engage the diff lock it seems as if the system activates (power gets to the diff etc) but the diff does not engage? Any ideas?

Keep well!!
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Intercooler or snorkel on KZTE

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Dewald. :thumbup:
A snorkel will certainly help a little, but not as much as an intercooler .... and of course you could have a snorkel / intercooler combo which would help even more.
From your post I assume that your difflock is electrically operated. If so it could be anything from a poor connection / faulty solenoid or motor drive to a mechanical engaging problem. Most often it's something small. but stick around and see what the rest of the guys with more experience with difflock problems have to say. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

My best guess is that the diff does not work at all, and that you should remove the entire diff, sell it for about R200, and buy a complete new diff with locker.

As a gesture of goodwill and camaraderie, I will then humbly buy the old diff from you, and dispose of it accordingly.

We guys need to stick together!!!

:wth:
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by B100 »

Man Ewald you are the best!! I was thinking the same. Tell you what, I will even bring it to PTA for you free of charge! ;-) I'm so afraid for this diff thing spontaneously combusting!!!

Andy, thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance but will the intercooler inlet at the bottom not be at risk when 4x4ing?
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

They normally place it low in the front which is a vulnerable position, and it cannot be effective where any hot air from the motor flows over it, so the choices are limited. I've know of guys to tuck them a little further back if there's a suitable gap under the radiator fan cowling, otherwise right up in front of the radiator. The other option is to have a bonnet scoop with it under the hood .... some standard vehicles are done like this. Could be awkward to get right for alignment and space. Do a search on the forum for 'intercooler', .... if I'm not mistaken there was a topic or two on placement ..... :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by B100 »

Thanks Andy, did a bit of reading and it seems as if SAC does mount the intake lower front with enhanced sump guard etc. I don't intent to storm any boulders in H2 5th @120km/h so I think the bit if cleaning is in any case part of my 4x4 regime. Cost etc does not sound too bad!!
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ja, look, .... if you're not into anything extreme and are cognisant of the unit being vulnerable, it'll be fine. A lot of the guys are happy to leave it there, especially as it's more the overlanding enthusiasts that would want to fit an intercooler in the first place. Just do a bit of homework so you don't go in blind.

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I am not a SAC fan as far as their placement of the IC are concerned. There are a few threads on this forum that discuss this issue ....
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

Dewald, where do you get the biodiesel, Do you make it your self?
I have a KZ that does have the SAC stage one on it. But I am thinking of looking out for a good metal worker to build a scoop for me so I can move the intercooler to the top.

Once that is done I’ll get a snorkel. I am very happy with my SAC conversion, the main thing is to keep the intercooler and the radiator clean at all times. The fuel consumption is not bad either. But I have to say in all honesty if I had to do it again, I don’t think I would spend that amount of money on an intercooler system again. One thing you can look into that can give you a bit more performance is to put a sports flow air filter in with a free flow exhaust. That’s a lot cheaper than an intercooler and the ECU and might just give you that little put more that you are looking for.
One Africa, One Hilux needed :)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Marty wrote: One thing you can look into that can give you a bit more performance is to put a sports flow air filter in with a free flow exhaust. That’s a lot cheaper .......
I would be wary of these air filters. Reason being that they're less restrictive on airflow because of their lack of filtration efficiency. The Donaldson has a vastly greater surface area but is a little more air flow restrictive because of the filtration efficiency and is therefore the better if not the only option. Especially in dusty off-road conditions, Remeber that for every litre of fuel that you burn, about 15,000 litres of air pass through the motor and even the tiniest particle of dust is abrasive. I have seen cylinder walls that have been scoured to buggery and rings worn right down to the point where they hardly even protrude from the landings on the piston, all because of dust. Simply, it's not worth it. Install the best air filter available, and the oem Donaldson is right up there with the best. :wink:

Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

Andy, and on that note I think it's time for me to give mine a good cleaning again. :)
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

I have exactly the same year KZ-TE with the whole kaboodle : Intercooler, ECU and exhaust, that gives me 115 kw and 385 Nm. Recently I added a snorkel, but although I can feel it pulling stronger due to the cooler (and cleaner) air intake, I have not yet dyno'ed it again. I plan to do that after the holidays.

One thing that is a frustration though, is the position of the intercooler.
Inevitably you will bump it against something like a rock, or scrape it when you come down from a steep obstacle.
Thats my next mod, moving that intercooler to the top of the enigine like the D4D's or in front of the radiator.
Still need to do some research though......
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by B100 »

@ Marty - yes I make the biodiesel myself. I use old cooking oil a bit if this and a bit of that and voila! R4 per liter biodiesel! If you are interested go have a look at www.biodieselcommunity.org. I'm self taught from the Internet. Not so difficult to make...the most difficult part is getting enough old vegetable oil to keep your production going!

Later
d
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Christo, what color is your KZ-TE. I am thinking of getting a second hood for the bakkie to mount the scoop on 2.
Thinking of getting a good old fashioned metal worker to do it for me. Not sure yet.
I would like to have the scoop build in to the hood something like what the ford mustang. Still have a lot of reading up to do and even the need to get more money for all the stuff I still want to do LOL

Dewald, did you change anything on the motor for the biodiesel? Or just started to use it?
I know with the old diesels you could practically put in peanut butter oil in and started to drive around. Not that I would do that to my KZ.
Joshua
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4

Post by Joshua »

Marty wrote:Christo, what color is your KZ-TE. I am thinking of getting a second hood for the bakkie to mount the scoop on 2.
Thinking of getting a good old fashioned metal worker to do it for me. Not sure yet.
I would like to have the scoop build in to the hood something like what the ford mustang. Still have a lot of reading up to do and even the need to get more money for all the stuff I still want to do LOL
White.
If you look on the forum, you will find more info from guys that alteady moved there I/C to the top, I know Frik in Boksburg
had already done his about 6 mths ago and he was very happy with the conversion.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Christo, yes I saw the one he did - Looks very nice.
That's where I first got the idea that I wanted to move mine to the top aswell :o)
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by B100 »

Marty the engine is stock standard. You need not change a thing. As a matter of fact you can even run on peanut oil if you choose. This is what the diesel engine was originally designed for! We are basically being taken for a ride by the oil companies. We are driving around on a dirty by-product of the petroleum industry and we are paying top dollar/rand for this cr@p. The biodiesel is much cleaner, more environmentally friendly, lubricates much better, much cheaper, smells like...Wimpy or Steers or MacDonalds or Spur or the corner fish and chips shop! You can mix with petrodiesel if you want (I normally do in winter) but mostly drive on 100% biodiesel. I can rant and rave on forever about bio-friendly alternatives! Fact of the matter is if each one does not do something to reduce our CO2 footprint then we are doomed. COP15 is a sterling example of the inadequacies of our global decision makers.....ok enough for now!!

later
d
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Dewald, I take it you go to the fast food places and get the old oil from them.
I wonder if the fast food places would be able to supply me with enough to drive on home made biodiesel full time.
On a normal work week I use about 70 - 80L of diesel. :(
B100
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by B100 »

Marty just get a good supplier. Try the Wimpies and corner fish and chips shops. The rest have contracts with bigger firms. I can easily collect 80l per week and I can make about 500-600l per week with my 150l geyser.
d
2003 KZTE on B100
Warn M8000 winch
ARB bullbar
Long range fuel tank
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Dewald, thats a good idea. I will need to get more info form you when I get back.
But till then. Happy new years guys.. See yea all in a week.

Return to “The Workshop”