Border Dirt Diggers

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Border Dirt Diggers

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi, This too late for the newsletter. 4x4 challenge at quarry behinf the Gonubie farmer's Hall on Sat 28th Feb. A little late notice but should be worthwhile. See attached doc for full details.
Andy.
4x4 challenge 28TH FEB 1010.pdf
(97.78 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Re: Border Dirt Diggers

Post by Mud Dog »

Swamb's and I went along to this as spectators .... pretty much an all day affair and rather enjoyable, even as a spectator. At some point during the morning John Deary ("Toyota") came over to me and introduced himself ... had recognised my vehicle, and we chatted at length. It seems that we were the only forum members there. We made a pretty sorry pair because he had brought his camera but the batteries were not charged, whilst I had made sure to charge mine plus plenty spares yesterday, but left the bag on the living room table. (Thought I had packed it. :oops: ) Took some cellphone pics, but my cellphone is like me and my PC .... all dinosaurs. :D: So here are a few Hilux pics .... but please excuse the poor quality.
Two guys snapped half shafts on this first obstacle (one of them a Lux)
28-02-10_0928.jpg
28-02-10_1021.jpg
28-02-10_1022.jpg
28-02-10_1023.jpg
28-02-10_1024.jpg
28-02-10_1106.jpg
28-02-10_1418.jpg
The flag went up ... he clipped a marker ....
28-02-10_1419.jpg
28-02-10_1420.jpg
After that there were no more pics on the phone ... seems like the memory card was full and did'nt save them.

I have been at this venue to play some time ago and went through most of these obstacles myself, except the really hairy ones, but then I had the liberty of choosing easier lines, and not the awkward ones set out with the markers. These guys did pretty well (standard class).

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Great stuff Andy!!! Pitty your camera was left behind....but it's ok.....we undrstands.....sorta......those thing seem to happen, at your.....

.....never mind.....whatever.....

Glad you could make it :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Tx for the pics :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Marcus wrote:Pitty your camera was left behind....but it's ok.....we undrstands.....sorta......those thing seem to happen, at your.....

.....never mind.....whatever.....
I'm blaming it on the dogs! .... no really! Legitimate! .... because as I was packing a few things and getting ready to leave the house, the dogs were around me with tounges hanging out and pleading expressions on their faces. I realized I had FORGOTTEN to feed them and had to interrupt my routine to do so ..... their fault! :lol:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I'm blaming it on the dogs! .... no really
Poor doggies.....keep your camera in the car, I always do :thumbup:
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch

Post by 0000DS »

Looks like great fun :thumbup:
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andy, do what I do.... Hire a "Dog Sitter!"

I roped in Patsy from work, she normally house sits for me if I go away and one always feels better knowing that someone is at home keeping an eye on things when I'm not there.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Family_Dog wrote:Andy, do what I do.... Hire a "Dog Sitter!"

I roped in Patsy from work, she normally house sits for me if I go away and one always feels better knowing that someone is at home keeping an eye on things when I'm not there.

-F_D
I don't really have that problem Eric, I have two 'adult' ( :think: ) children that can do that, and the boerboels can pretty much take care of themselves. :D:

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

That's right blame the poop pouches Andrew :roll:

Next time leave the goldfish with the dogs... :eh:

(peekchaz taken through a goldfish bowl??) :twisted:

Well done for attending and sharing with us dude :wink:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Nice pics Andy :) I will have to come vist my mates in Gonubie as an excuse to come play there...
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Your Crawlers would make short work of the rock climbs. :wink: I think that the guys who snapped shafts did so because their approach was too rough resulting in a lot of bounce ..... traction is momentarily lost as the vehicle lifts and is then regained with a jolt as it comes down ... the motor has revved up and suddenly all that torque is loaded onto the drivetrain. I'm not knocking the guys since they needed a bit of momentum as well, but a lower gearing allows a more controlled approach. :think:

And yes, it's nice hole to go and play in. :wink:

Return to “Eastern Cape”