How to program new ignition key on IFS Hilux?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

How to program new ignition key on IFS Hilux?

Post by Family_Dog »

I bought a new "Transmitter Ignition" key for a 2000 Hilux SC 2700i today. Part number: 89785 35020.

Researching the internet, I found various suggestions on how to program the new key by a sequence comprising switching the ignition on and off with the original key followed by opening and shutting the driver's door a number of times and then finally inserting the unprogrammed key in the ignition for a period of 60 seconds. But I'm not doing something right here - I cannot get the Immobiliser/ECU to recognise the new key.

Anyone know how this is done?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Re: How to program new ignition key on IFS Hilux?

Post by legend35 »

Eric,I dont how to do it,but I bought a key from Toyota and got the key cut at a locksmit.After that took the key back to Toyota and they code it for free.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thanks Johan, guess that will be the best way to go. The Locksmith who cut my key mentioned that TSA charges R350 for this service, which is why I figured it would be a lot cheaper to do myself. But I think you have the correct solution here, I will don some old clothing, hold thumbs and try them tomorrow.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Eric,what I learnt from my previous experience is that it is best you take it to the stealers.Our local agent even get somebody from Cape Town to do the programming.Its not like in the olden days where the locksmith will get you going.With all the security systems I wonder how they still manage to steal them!!! Some clever okes around.
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

While you were opening and shutting the driver's door were you standing on one leg? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hah! Ze zecret zhe is outz! I waz doing it correctlee (akkording to my notez), but ze dome light, zhe haz to alzo burn ven openz und clozing ze door!

But it wasn't, therefore the EMS did not pick up the voltage drop or whatever. The left front door, however, does control the dome light and the Dealer managed to do it after having also battled for over an hour. Quite a bright spark (must be related to Gert) - I never thought of that. They charged me R200 (Grrrr....) but said the normal price was R320.00. For about (what should have been...) two minutes work??

I also bought a new remote controller from them but had to go to Immobiliser Centre to have it programmed. They quoted an hour, but managed to do it in about five minutes.

When I drove into TSA workshop, the sky was blue and it was very, very hot. I was there for probably an hour and a half, during which time the blackest sky I had seen in a while appeared, together with a fairly cold wind. But no rain to speak of, it all blew away.

-F_D

Return to “The Workshop”