Intercooler - top mount or front mount

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
krazy_kameleon
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Intercooler - top mount or front mount

Post by krazy_kameleon »

I want to install an intercooler on my 3C-T Turbo Diesel

Do I Top mount it or front mount it.
when we installed on our plak kar we always front mounted for better airflow but on my 'Lux I am worried about damage

what is the concensus?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Intercooler - top mount or front mount

Post by Donkey »

Hi Oom Rich

I know for a fact that SAC will mount it in front, for the very same reasons you have, somebody on the forum, can't remember who, has done the top mount, which I also prefer, lets hope they see this thread. Do you have a specific budget?

Regards,
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Got the intercooler, so will fab piping and fit myself, so the budget is just time :)

I'M leaning towards the top mount with an Isuzu Bonnet scoop
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Top mount should be easier and the piping is much less than running to the front of the car. Another factor is through the length of pipe to front mount, is the additional volume in the pipes. The turbo now also needs to pressurize this additional volume causing turbo lag. Downside is that without a fan to cool it at very low speeds like off roading, the inter cooler starts working backward picking up heat from the engine and actually warming the air. Probably less noticeable as a front mount as the IC can not pick up as much heat as it would over the top.

Personally, I would go top mount with a fan at low speed. Just watch the scoop gets the air it needs if you have a bullbar that comes to the edge of your bonnet or even worse those bonnet skirts like the lux and fortuner has.

Post us pics when you got it done please.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

My uncle owns two SFA hiluxes, one Double cab and one single cab. Double cab had standard 2.2 petrol inside which was replaced with a 3C, single cab had some 2.5 Chev engine in, which was also replaced with a 3C engine. They have tested an intercooler on the Single Cab (Front mount) and performed very well. He then tested the top mount one, and performed even better....
Sent from my iPhone
Wave
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Edenvale
Vehicle: Tuna 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by Wave »

There are always a few different opinions here but this is basically what I think:

Find out which installation has the shortest boost pipes (probably top mount) and go with that, the shorter the boost pipes the less chance of the "boost" air getting hotter again after going through the cooler and reduce that lag that we all hate.
Run smaller diameter pipes from the turbo into the cooler and larger diameter pipes from the cooler to the intake manifold, this helps reduce lag that a cooler causes.

Front mount can also cause extra heat and starve the engine (and A/C) of cooler air it needs causing other problems esp at low speeds

Install a small fan (like the Colt TD)
'09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (M)
'14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI H/L (Swambo's)
'10 Conqueror Comfort
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I previously owned a Terrano which had a top mount intercooler. The heat from the engine caused turbo lag when driving slow, like in traffic or on trails) I later fitted a fan on top of the intercooler to help with air flow when driving slow. The engine's heat, heats up the air in the intercoller and you end up having an inter-heater and not inter cooler.
Later models of the Terrano (the 3.0 Diesel) had the Intercooler on top, but on the side of the engine, not directly on top of the engine. Apparently some of the Pajero's (I think) comes standard with a fan on the intercooler to help with this problem.

When you drive at speed and there is enough air flowing it has no problem.

So besides the turbo lag due to the heat of the engine I do not think it is a bad idea to put it on top of the engine.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Thanks for all the input - I will place it on top and look for an appropriate fan

will place pics as I go through the install...
Muz
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4 Raider, Suzuki SJ413, Landcruiser FJ40

Post by Muz »

hi Rick

phone Jap Auto for the intercoolers. They have the Mitsubishi one with the fan. quite big IC, so you will need to plan carefully how to mount it. Let me know cause i need to do it when i change to Diesel.
krazy_kameleon

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Thanks Muz,

I actually have a great cooler but i like the idea of the Mitzi one with the fan.

i will let you know the details when I check it out...

Return to “The Workshop”