Tyres

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
werner1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: White River
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Tyres

Post by werner1 »

Hi there

I am shopping for new tyres for my `99 Hilux 2.7i dc 4x4.
At the moment I have got Bfg Muds on and they are the 30x9.5x15.
The mags are the standard hilux mags.
Will it be possible to put 31x10.5x15 Bfg At on?
Will they be scratching against the body when turning sharp.
The hilux is lifted with the torsion bars in the front and I am going to install other shackles at the back.
Any suggestions will be nice.
Thanks guys.
ChrisSwart
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johanesburg
Vehicle: 1999 2700i Hi Lux

Re: Tyres

Post by ChrisSwart »

Hi Werner

You should have no problems fitting 31x10.5x15 tyres to your hilux, Just make sure the fitment centre adjust your Camber propperly.
33" tyres will rub on the suspension on full lock on standard suspension, not sure about yours with adjusted suspension.
On the back you should have no problems no matter what size you choose.
In my experience your speedo will read almost 100% acurate on the 31" tires so beware of driving "too fast" and relying on the speedo error too keep you safe.

by the way, also have a look at Bridgestone Dueler A/T instead of BFG, they have much better wet weather manners on tar roads and give good milage expect 80000+ km on a set
werner1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by werner1 »

Chris
Thank you.
I heard that the BFG will also give about 80000+ km when drining with the right tyre pressure.
I also like the bridgetone duelers they are very good tyres. We had them on our old Pajero en our new Fortuner.
I think the BFG are just a bit better on the off road and last a bit longer when driving off road about 40% off the time.
But I might be wrong.
Is there a differance in fuel consumption when going from the 30`s to the 31`s do you know?
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

There is a difference, probably about 0,5km/l. But it's a small price for what appears to be a brilliant combination. I have 31" Duelers on both my IFS models. White Fang has raised suspension (ARB) while Hound Dog has the standard suspension setup. No problems experienced at anytime.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ChrisSwart
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johanesburg
Vehicle: 1999 2700i Hi Lux

Post by ChrisSwart »

werner1 wrote:Chris
Is there a differance in fuel consumption when going from the 30`s to the 31`s do you know?
A lot of people notice a difference in fuel consumption when calculating liters/km (on the tripmeter) but if you take into account the fact that the speedo/tripmeter will now read more acurate, the difference in actual consumption is negligable.

I tend to agree with you, if you are going to be driving 40%+ offroad, the BFG might last a bit better than the Duelers espesialy if you are driving on rocky gravel roads.
werner1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by werner1 »

Hi there

At last I got myself a new pair of tyres.
I settled for the Bridgestone deulers AT's 31x10.5x15.
The BfG's price are to high now and if I can get the same km's with the deulers why go for the BfG.
You guys were wright about the speedo it is now almost 100% correct.
When my gps is at 119km/h my speedo is on 120km/h.
Is it also applicable to the km trip meter as well.
I went to Vryheid the other day and drove 350km on my trip meter and the gps showed it is 360km or 380km.
My petrol usage is almost the same but as you said it would be more accurate now. Went from 8.7 to 8.2 km/L on the long road.

Werner

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”