Bad brakes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Bad brakes

Post by Bushwacker »

The brakes on my van is useless. If you step on it, it is as if its going halfway, & gets hard, but the brakes do not lock. Its an accident waiting to happen.
A thought I have is that it can be because of the SFA conversion. The master & slaves in the front do not match...
The vacume to the brake booster seems fine.
I have installed the Powerbrake system in the front, but I don't suspect thats the problem.
Any thoughts :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: Bad brakes

Post by Thabogrobler »

Jy dink nie dalk dis daai reuseagtige wiele nie? Die draai moment op hulle is noglas heelwat meer as op 31's!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Check your flexible brake pipes. Fit stainless steel braided hoses if you can.
ImageImageImage
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

Thabogrobler wrote:Jy dink nie dalk dis daai reuseagtige wiele nie? Die draai moment op hulle is noglas heelwat meer as op 31's!
:lol: :lol: Nee, dis nie die wiele nie Thabogrobler.
AM Racing, I fitted new pipes 60mm long, but not braided ones :think:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If you've done the obvious things like changing the fluid if it's old (it's hygroscopic and absorbs atmospheric moisture), and bleeding the system, the next thing is to check the booster. Is the diaphragm OK? Is there a vacuum leak? When it's safe to do so while driving, switch off the motor and apply brakes briefly at intervals ..... you should get at least 3 to 5 brake applications before the vacuum reservoir is depleted and the pedal feels hard with little braking. Check all the connections on the vacuum line to the booster. Another thing to check is the little non-return valve on the vacuum pipe that it's working properly, then about a minute after switching off the motor while stationary, pull the vacuum pipe off the booster ..... you should get a sound of the vacuum being broken. A point of interest here, if you have a vacuum operated diff lock, the take-off is on the booster line and the servo could also be leaking. A common setup is to have the difflock vacuum take-off positioned after the non return valve ..... change it to before the non return valve or put a second one in the line after the take-off.

Then as mentioned, do not underestimate the leverage that bigger tyres have over the braking system .... bigger tyres means poorer braking. Another thing is the compound of the brake pad linings .... a hard lining will last longer but gives poorer brake performance. Ferodo pads are soft and work well .... ATE are a fraction harder .... both are quality pads, but I would definitely fit Ferodo with the bigger tyres. The braided hoses are a plus and will help, especially if the non braided ones are old.

If all this fails, you might have to look at upgrading the master cylinder.
Hope this helps. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
BlumTRD
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Hilux

Bad brakes

Post by BlumTRD »

Ek het IFS calipers en cruiser vented discs op my solid axle met ate pads Geen props nie . Brieke is nie te bad nie . Maar kan Beter wees

Het wel seels ens vervang op calipers . Destyds toe ek Sas gegaan het .

Maar ek gaan wel nog n Groter master op sit .

Kyk vir n 1" master , as Hy nie al klaar die groter een het nie .
Maar kyk vir die 2 gat een nie 4 gat vasbout nie .
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Yes manne,long time no see.Hope you are all well.Brakes well ja,what shall I say.Is it possible to improve the brake system and still keep it stock standard?I've been through some really nasty experiences,luckly to date I have not rammed anything........but some real close encounters....yes.Has the ABS not something to do with it?To be honest,I dont trust that thing!!!!!
I know of a person that lost his life in the Gamkaskloof(DIE HEL)due to the ABS confusing the driver.
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

Thanx for all the responses guys, I will test the booster today. I did remove the ABS after the SAS conversion.
The rear shoes are brand new & the drums have been done too. The powerbrakes in front are still in the running-in stage, but I am sure the brakes are not what they should be.
I will keep in touch :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Piet, klink beslis soos 'n druk probleem. Jy kry nie genoeg drukking vanaf die Calipers op jou Powerbrakes nie.

Know what you don't know.
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

Wat sou jy voorstel Heinrich :think:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

BlumTRD wrote:Ek het IFS calipers en cruiser vented discs op my solid axle met ate pads Geen props nie . Brieke is nie te bad nie . Maar kan Beter wees

Het wel seels ens vervang op calipers . Destyds toe ek Sas gegaan het .

Maar ek gaan wel nog n Groter master op sit .

Kyk vir n 1" master , as Hy nie al klaar die groter een het nie .
Maar kyk vir die 2 gat een nie 4 gat vasbout nie .
Dit klink of dit dalk sal kan help. Groter piston area deur dieselfde grootte pype behoort 'n hoer druk te gee?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Bushwacker »

Ek het die vacuum deel getoets, niks fout daar nie. maar nou is ek eers dors. Cheers julle, VATSO KEEL :!: :!: :!:

Return to “The Workshop”