Garrett non-VNT for 1KD

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Winch
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hartebeespoort
Vehicle: 2002 Tacoma Double cab, LC 80 series front and rear axles with E-lockers, 5 speed, dual transfer cases, custom 3-link, 37" MTR's

Garrett non-VNT for 1KD

Post by Winch »

Hello daar. Lang storie, maar ek verander die elektroniese 3.0 D-4D (1KD-FTV) geheel en al van 'n elektroniese engine na manual deur gebruik te maak van manual injectors, manual fuel pump en geen meer ECU, ens, ens. Ek moet en wil ook die elektroniese turbo veruil met 'n manual Garrett turbo wat ten minste 25 + psi boost kan hanteer (met 'n oversize intercooler). Is daar van julle wat iets soortgelyks gedoen het? Watter model Garrett sal julle aanbeveel? Dankie.
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Re: Garrett non-VNT for 1KD

Post by AM Racing »

A man after my own heart.....
The biggest prblem is going to be the injectors or fitting them in the head. Go to the Garret website and start your home work there. There are all sorts of turbos with different housings and wheels. Ive been contemplating a bigger turbo on 2.5 but just havnt had the time to do further research. This would be an interesting post to follow. Let see what we come up with......
ImageImageImage
Winch
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: 2002 Tacoma Double cab, LC 80 series front and rear axles with E-lockers, 5 speed, dual transfer cases, custom 3-link, 37" MTR's

Post by Winch »

Yes, thanks. I should spent a bit more time on the garret site. They don't have anything listed for the 1KD, but I found a few references to a garrett 17201-30010, which by the sound of it is the garret replacement for the OEM turbo, but I can't find this turbo listed under this code either.

I'm actually not concerned about the injectors. I'm using the mechanical injectors from a Landcruiser 1HD-T which bolts right up. Will also be using the mechanical pump from a 1KZ-T. Even though I have the ECU, I doubt that I will be using it at all. The one thing that still bothers me a bit is the variable valve timing. I know this has been done before, but I can't find any info on how to cope with the VVT, so I expect it would probably run just fine without that inputs.
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

The 1KD does not have vvt. Your injection timing is controlled by the ecu but you will doing away with this and fitting the mechanical pump. But htere is no variable valve timing. This pertains to alterering the physical timing of the camshaft.
ImageImageImage
Winch
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Winch »

AM Racing wrote:The 1KD does not have vvt. Your injection timing is controlled by the ecu but you will doing away with this and fitting the mechanical pump. But htere is no variable valve timing. This pertains to alterering the physical timing of the camshaft.
Ah, that's great to know. In the second paragraph on Wiki it states that the ECU controls valve timing so I just figured it has VVT, so this should not be an issue then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must say, haven't seen any mention of valve timing in any other reference.
Winch
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Winch »

Hi guys, so I'm slowly making some progress here.

I have a couple questions about the the CT26 Variable Nozzle Turbo. I see in the FSM that the actuator relies on inputs from various sensors which I would no longer have.

1. Without these inputs, is it possible to just "lock" the vanes in a desired position for average performance and operation and forego on the advantages of the variable positioning?

2. Can I have the turbo housing on the VNT turbo bored out to accept a larger non VNT turbine from a Garrett?

3. I can get an almost new Garrett turbo for very chaep and have to decide here right away if I want it before the guy sells it. I've done all the math and to me it looks as if this upgrade would work. Does anyone have any knowledge about this turbo on the 3.0 Turbo diesels?
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... 7160_5.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would greatly appreciate any input you guys have on the turbo issue. Thanks.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

One advantage with a non-variable vane turbo (or so they would like me to believe) is that you are suppose to have greater reliability.

Know what you don't know.
Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Post by Uys »

Winch wrote:Hello daar. Lang storie, maar ek verander die elektroniese 3.0 D-4D (1KD-FTV) geheel en al van 'n elektroniese engine na manual
Hoekom?
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Winch »

Uys wrote:
Winch wrote:Hello daar. Lang storie, maar ek verander die elektroniese 3.0 D-4D (1KD-FTV) geheel en al van 'n elektroniese engine na manual
Hoekom?
Hehe, wel dis 'n lang storie, maar kortliks is dit omdat ek hier in Kanada bly en die diesel kwaliteit is sleg en is maar 40 Cetane, so die ontsettende hoe diesel drukking wat die 1KD motor het verwoes die elektroniese fuel injectors en hulle is nie goedkoop nie. Ook omdat die 1KD so hiper gesofistikeerd is en om al die electronics te laat werk en te re-wire in die Tacoma sal 'n nagmerrie wees. Met al dit, is ek ook bekommerd oor reliability en die feit dat hier niemand is wat aan die engins kan werk nie. So vir my is die goedkoopste, beste opsie om die ding te verander in 'n meganiese engin sodat ek self aan dit kan werk, dit kan "tune" soos ek wil en nie hoef te sukkel met allerhande dinge nie. :yahoo:

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”