Hello & say Hi to my new Hilux!

Tell us a bit more about your Hilux (or other 4x4) and show off with some pictures.
Tapster
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 1991 Toyota Hilux, Solid Front Axle, Lexus V8 Conversion, Procomp suspension lift, body lift, diff locks, 35" tyres

Hello & say Hi to my new Hilux!

Post by Tapster »

Hi everybody,

I had some very useful advice from Family Bulldog in the run-up to my recent purchase of my first vehicle in South Africa, the 1991 SFA Hilux shown in the photo. Thanks again, Eric, for your enthusiastic & friendly help!

My name's David Tapp. I've recently moved to South Africa from the UK. I live near Krugersdorp, Johannesburg. I have come over to steal your women!.......well one of them anyway & I'll be marrying the lovely Lize in December. We met when she was studying in England. One look & I sold everything and shipped over!

Back to vehicles: In the UK I had a 3.5litre V8 Land Rover 90 which was very competent off-road. It was hard to sell her but the import duty was too much & I had an inkling that a more reliable vehicle might be needed in SA!

My Hilux is a good runner, having done approx 10,000 km on its new Chinese 4Y engine. But it is SLOW, and thirsty! I wish it had a Chevvy V8 under the hood as it is under-powered, especially with the 33 inch wheels, but at least I won't get any speeding tickets!

HELP PLEASE !!

* Does anybody know if it's possible to change the gearing to make it more tractable on the road? I did this on my Land Rover by changing gears in the transfer box and it did the trick.
* If not, what's the best engine to shoe-horn into the vehicle for more power & so that I can use bigger wheels!
* The a/c is only a whisper. Can I uprate the blower or something like that?
* There's no heat coming through the heater at all! I might need this in winter!
* Can anyone help me with maintenance here? A comprehensive online maintenance manual perhaps? A good workshop in Joburg?
* The vehicle looks good on the outside but the inside is a mess. Does anybody know of any coachbuilders who can pimp my ride, so to speak?
* Lastly, I'm looking forward to getting into off-roading in South Africa. There's so much scope! What I've done mostly has been informal "trialling" of one sort or another, usually featuring lots of MUD! Please can anybody tell me of any groups near Krugersdorp or in Joburg.

Many thanks to members for any responses. Your forum seems really helpful & well supported. I'll be back!

Bye for now.

Dave :)
Attachments
Hilux Web Small.jpg
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go
T.S. Eliot
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Re: Hello & say Hi to my new Hilux!

Post by legend35 »

Hi Dave,welcome to the forum and to SA.Hope you enjoy your stay and keep on surging,you wil get the best help and advice here and happy Hiluxing :)
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi David

Welcome to the forum and SA and enjoy :D
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi David Welcome I am also busy with plans for the inside of my van we must chat sometime :wink:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Firstly, welcome David, may your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay.
Secondly, sorry to hear about your harship with a land rover, even if you didn't come here for our woman, you definately made the right choice coming for our Hilux's :mrgreen:

On to the questions. Do a search on the forum and you will find plenty discussion on which engine to replace the old donkeys with. As for the gears, someone will give advice I'm sure.

The A/C unfortunately is a sore point with these vehicles and yes a you are lucky if you egt a whisper. I have heard of guys replacing the fan with a toyota tazz fan but not sure if it makes much difference.

The heating, you may have a blocked heater or maybe it has been disconnected due to leaks or the heater valve?

Maintenance, I do my own as do alot of other guys on the forum. If you look in the workshop manual section viewforum.php?f=44 you will find what you need. If you would like a Haynes manual, try motorbooks. http://www.motorbooks.co.za/details.php?prod_id=835

Upholstery, there are many guys that do it but not so many that do it well. I have always used a guy in Roodepoort, Auto Trim. You can contact them on 0117602672. They are not the cheapest but they do a good job.

Hope this helps
Scott
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Optimus Prime
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Krp
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 v6

Post by Optimus Prime »

Hey There ,Welcome

Unforunatly i will not be able to give you help on all th efixings needed on you Hilux
but i can say it looks good .Lekke

I am in Krugersdorp and we like to play with our 4x4's when ever you need to go play a bit just let me know ,me and a couple of friends
go often and there are a few places close or a bit further.

you 'll get me here on the forum or at info@tracks4africaadventures.co.za

Cheers for now .
Happy 4x4ing :D :D

"As long as power flows through any of my circuits ill 4x4."
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

David, Welcome to South Africa! Hope you enjoy the country and our people to the utmost. Hope you enjoy the forum and that you will get your answers.

I basically know of three different conversions done on the engine that might help. The problem is that none is so reliable as the original. The three I can think of is the 7M-GE (Cresida motor), Lexus V8 and Ford 3L. I put them in the order of reliability (in my opinion of course and there would definitely be people arguing this). Hope this helps a bit
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Hi David

Welcome to sunny SA. I have a friend that stays down in Jeffreys bay. She worked in the UK for a year or two and also stole a Englishman's hart there. She was not even back for a couple of months when he came over to ask her for her hand in marriage. He was here for only a couple of days and then fell in love with the country too. They got married and lived in the UK for a couple of months but as soon as they managed to sell his property there they moved to SA.

They are now in SA for 3 years and just came back from a trip to visit the folks back there. Mark said to me that as soon as he stepped out of Heathrow into a Cab he truly realised that home is not in London no more but back in SA :wink: I hope you get to love this country just as much. Ahh and also your SFA. :wink: Just be careful that you wife does not get jealous.

Check out the Gauteng thread from time to time to see when we are going to play again.

Return to “Members' Vehicles”