Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Classic Car Show CPT - 6 November

Post by pietpetoors »

For those who love Classic Cars this is an event not to be missed
Apparently over a thousand classic cars will be on display

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Re: Classic Car Show CPT - 6 November

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

Hi guys

Sorry to bump this topic, but I'm curious about something, and not exactly sure where to post the question.

Firstly, being a classic car fan, I'm looking very much forward to attending this event.

What gets me though is this...

SAVVA (South African Vintage and Veteran Association), the controlling body over classic car clubs in SA, considers all vehicles built before December 31 1980 to be a classic, grouped into 1 of 7 classes (from Ancestor to Post 70).

For the most part, this is considered correct. You could say a 1975 Ford Mustang is a classic, or even a 1975 Ford Cortina, or 1979 Mercedes-Benz or 1970's VW Beetle or 1972 Datsun SSS, or any 1970's British Brand.

Yet, when you drive a 1970's Toyota Corolla or Corona, or Hilux, it isn't considered a classic by the general public.

If you where to drive a 1970's Toyota in a parade, you would be asked what you are doing there.

Why do you think is this?

P.S. Hoping to get some interesting responses here.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I hear what you say. I am also not into all the terminology but they have these standards that was set a hundred years ago. If a car is older than 25 years it is called a this and older than 50 they call it a that.

I would like to see if we will call a Tata Indigo a classic if it survived 25 years, or maybe my Tazz will one day be called a classic. It is just not the same.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

My dad restores classic cars and i used to, like you have stated, there are many catagories. The most colectable ones are the ones manufactured in limited numbers, ones that had a racing history or was owned by influential people. Well looked after original cars with matching numbers are "rare" and are more popular at shows these days.
Toyotas were made in such large numbers, they will not easily reach "clasic" status and because of there build quality, there are so many of them still in daily use that they are not "rare" or "colectable", but it is nice to see well looked after ones.
Many people like to re-live their younger days, so they want the same car that they used to own, so "normal" cars can fetch good prices for this reason.
I don't go to many shows these days, i prefer racing / competing or driving, but i still apreciate the hours that goes into restoring and maintaining these cars.
In the states they combine shows with auctions, this realy makes it interesting as most rebuilders lose interest once a car is complete, so they want to sell and move on to the next project.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

So the only Toyota's I saw at the show was the Hilux from Killarney Racetrack and Nicky Hanekom's Celica Historic race-car.

Like Hoppy said, I also came to the conclusion that Toyota's are just the best build vehicles around. With the number of old Toyota's still on the road, they are just not deemed rare and collectible.

It's a shame though, because other than the sportscars and 4x4's, Toyota did build good cars, and I hope there are people out their that would collect and restore the more tame variants.

Would have been nice to see a restored Celica, Supra, Black Hawk Corolla, Land Cruiser and GSR Corona on the show though.

Return to “Western Cape”