Unexpected

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
TDV8*
Town: Birmingham
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Unexpected

Post by TDV8* »

Dear Toyota Owners

THESE ARE PROTOGRAPHS OF A NEW TOYOTA HILUX!!!

Registered 2011 with only 850km on the clock.

Imagine travelling around a tight bend at 120kph (75 mph) when the front left wheel suddenly collapses. The Hilux became extremely dangerous leading to a potentially lethal accident. Fortunately the vehicle was driven by a very capable person who after several dramatic swerves crossing the full width of the road, a ditch and just avoiding a major wall, fought the Hilux to a standstill. It was fortunate that such a strong and experienced driver was in charge of the wheel and that there was no oncoming traffic which could have resulted in a catastrophic pileup. The Toyota dealership had the temerity to ask if we wanted a hire car ordering at our expense whilst they recovered the Hilux – someone had just nearly lost their life in one of their new cars and they couldn’t even provide a car free-of-charge!!!

After 12 weeks of prevarication, Toyota’s lawyer’s response was: “Our clients own investigations have shown that no problems existed in the manufacture of the vehicle and neither did any defects exist in the vehicle when the vehicle was delivered to the dealer (well, what would you expect!). No information has been provided by you to show otherwise (as if it’s the owner’s responsibility!) and our client’s invitation to allow it to perform further investigations by inspecting the vehicle has been denied” Well not strictly true, Mr Toyota. The vehicle went to a Toyota dealership, which as a customer, you would logically think represents Toyota Japan and has the necessary expertise to look after all aspects of your vehicle. The bolt holding the upper control arm was replaced. It was then returned having, they claimed, been fully inspected and now safe. Some three weeks later, it was then requested (by Toyota head office) that they inspect the vehicle for a second time. It was sent to another dealer and a report was promised but has never sent to us. Now just listen to this if you are a Toyota owner. “Our client (Toyota SA Motors (PTY) Ltd) points out that the dealers (who are separate corporate entities to our client) are not the manufacturer of the vehicle and do not have the necessary high level expertise to perform the in-depth investigation that our client would be able to perform”. Well now you know Mr Customer about how heavily you can rely upon your local Toyota dealership when looking after any Toyota model. This wasn’t open heart surgery, but a faulty bolt - are the dealers so badly trained and incapable in the eyes of the almighty Toyota Japan Directors? If I was a Toyota dealer, I would be a bit upset by this insinuation.

Not one word of apology from Toyota SA Motors, just; “our client denies being liable to you and any proceedings by you will be defended”. Now doesn’t that sound like a caring multi-billion dollar, multinational company concerned about its small customer’s well-being!!!! When will the Toyota Japan Directors realise customers matter and should not be treated with such contempt - haven’t we all come to know the almighty Toyota doesn’t always get it right? Our impression of Toyota and there vehicles has massively decreased after this ordeal.

Please let us know if anyone else has experienced a fault (either similar or different to this one) with a new Toyota products. It would be negligent of Toyota to allow anyone else to suffer a similar product failure (and resulting accident) that we suffered.
Attachments
hilux dc + uniform 009 compressed.jpg
hilux dc + uniform 009 compressed.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
hilux dc + uniform 007 compressed.jpg
hilux dc + uniform 007 compressed.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
hilux dc + uniform 006 compressed.jpg
hilux dc + uniform 006 compressed.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
chopper

Re: Unexpected

Post by chopper »

Eish :!: :shock:
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

HELL. I must admit that I am very dissapointed and perturbed by Toyota SA alleged attitude and response. I am an ardent toyota supporter and product owner for at least 30 years.I await anxiously to see where this thread leades. Please keep us informed.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Why would you post it here.....?

Me thinks ...... :thumbdown:
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

As dit nou 'n Amarok was....... :mocking: :lmao:
Sent from my iPhone
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:shock2: Toyota :shock2: actually i can't say that,i had really bad service from them when i bought my hilux :evil:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Samson,welcome,i guess thats not the best way to introduce yourself to the forum :mocking: ,but welcome again. :wave:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Mark, I think if I had just purchased this brand new & expensive truck, I would want this to be made public as far as possible. Toyota are far too arrogant in their attitude, and their response to this is far from satisfactory. Personally, if this happened to me, I would post it everywhere I could unless they acknowledged some responsibility.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I think the days of seeing a Toyota badge and assuming Quality and reliability are long gone. I love Hiluxes, Land Cruisers, Yaris etc. BUT my wife's verso was a real piece of junk and the other option the Avanza is even worse. I loved the design of the car but the quality was poor, the engine was absolute crap, and the paint so thin you couldn't polish the car. As far as dealerships go I cannot recall any one that was any good. VW sold me a lemon they then were forced to replace after a big fight, Mercedes was pathetic, and Toyota parts very expensive. I am not trying to put Toyota down but they are not what they used to be as far as bullet proof vehicles and this article doesn't suprise me. Sorry for your unfortunate experience.
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Iets is baie suspicious hier.... Ou ligte.... Nommer plaat lyk iets soos 'n model nie ouer as 2 maande....
Sent from my iPhone
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I unfortunately see the other side of the coin as well. Think how many Toyota models are sold world wide. Now think of the current moral fiber out there. Don't you think they are so inundated with false claims and people trying to make a quick buck that they have difficulty sifting the true claims from the false claims?

I feel the same as Mark. To post a topic like this on your first post .. eish. Why not introduce yourself first etc etc.
To God be the glory
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

KZNSFA4Y wrote:I think the days of seeing a Toyota badge and assuming Quality and reliability are long gone. I love Hiluxes, Land Cruisers, Yaris etc. BUT my wife's verso was a real piece of junk and the other option the Avanza is even worse. I loved the design of the car but the quality was poor, the engine was absolute crap, and the paint so thin you couldn't polish the car. As far as dealerships go I cannot recall any one that was any good. VW sold me a lemon they then were forced to replace after a big fight, Mercedes was pathetic, and Toyota parts very expensive. I am not trying to put Toyota down but they are not what they used to be as far as bullet proof vehicles and this article doesn't suprise me. Sorry for your unfortunate experience.
Unfortunately vehicles are produced with the main aim of the manufaturer: QUANTITY instead of QUALITY.... August I went to a TOYOTA dealer and was surprised of the arogance they were showing when looking at a 2.7 Single cab Raider....

I'm not going in to depth with the subject.... but I walked out.....Eventually bought a vehicle through a factory.....not going to say the name on a Toyota forum....I will get shot.....will add it's a factory in Argentina :mocking: :shock2: :laugh2:
Sent from my iPhone
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Consumer protection Act - this is a life threatning defect.

INSIST on a replacement or cash back.

PS - GLAD the driver got out safely !!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:Iets is baie suspicious hier.... Ou ligte.... Nommer plaat lyk iets soos 'n model nie ouer as 2 maande....
The "FPY" prefix would have been registered in about May this year, so that's more like 6 months. :think:

I suspect that Samson in his despondency with the level of service (or lack thereof) is looking to find anyone that has had a similar experience to substantiate his claim against the dealership / Toyota, and didn't think about first introducing himself. Into's on forums are not always the norm, although it is a nice touch. One often just falls in by the door with a question or contribution and it rolls on from there, so .... Welcome Samson, hope you find some resolution with your problem. ;-)

I am rather curious (I'm sure others are as well) as to why you have an EC (RSA) registration but are in Birmingham, UK ..... care to satisfy our curiosity? :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Buffel 1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D Legend auto

Post by Buffel 1 »

like my grandmother used to say when about to be raped lie back and relax ....but in this case moer hulle....any car can have issues admittedly hiluxes less but in this case its not the fault but the response ....get hold of the ombudsman you should be compensated for damages at least...we get intimidated to easily that lawyers comment is aimed at scaring you to solve without cost or stress talk to the ombudsman admittedly it will take time but will be worth the effort
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

TDV8* wrote: After 12 weeks of prevarication, Toyota’s lawyer’s response was: “Our clients own investigations have shown that no problems existed in the manufacture of the vehicle and neither did any defects exist in the vehicle when the vehicle was delivered to the dealer (well, what would you expect!). No information has been provided by you to show otherwise (as if it’s the owner’s responsibility!) and our client’s invitation to allow it to perform further investigations by inspecting the vehicle has been denied” .....
...... just; “our client denies being liable to you and any proceedings by you will be defended”. .....
Any new car can have a few faults. In this case it was a dangerous - aledgedly. But the response from TSA, along with the usual arrogance, and the all too common no to bad service, is why I will never in my life buy another Toyota, new or secondhand.
Toyota won't even miss me I know, but I sleep better at night knowing my hard earned money will never reflect on Toyota's bankstatements.
Rebel 4x4 wrote:Iets is baie suspicious hier.... Ou ligte.... Nommer plaat lyk iets soos 'n model nie ouer as 2 maande....
Nadat Toyota die kamtige "nuwe" Hilux vrygestel het, was die een met die ligte nog beskikbaar. Voorraad wat nie verkoop was voor die "nuwe" een op die vloere gekom het nie.
ImageImage
Popmar
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Albertskroon Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hi Lux

Post by Popmar »

Riaan,
You say "Any new car can have a few faults. In this case it was a dangerous - aledgedly. But the response from TSA, along with the usual arrogance, and the all too common no to bad service, is why I will never in my life buy another Toyota, new or secondhand. :( :( :shock: :? :o:

Life is a long long time. :yahoo: Does you mean as long as the president of this country with him saying "the ANC will be in power untill the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." :roll: :roll:

Who knows how long that will be? :taunt:

On the other hand you are driving a Toyota and that could last that long so that you don't need to buy another vehicle. :tease: :tease:

Only teasing you
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Was an Unexpected pothole maybe to blame?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Must say this feels a little like a hit and run... why hasn't Samson been back? If I posted this letter, I'd certainly want to see others feedback!
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Borntofish wrote:Was an Unexpected pothole maybe to blame?
As 'n pothole dit doen.... Ons moet nou nie verskoning soek nie... Toyota SA moet hulle nonsens uitsort. Hulle kruip altyd weg wanneer sulke dinge gebeur. Kyk soos die hele storie in Amerika waar voertuie self versnel... :banned:
Sent from my iPhone
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Me thinks the reason why Samson is gone, is because some of you guys started attacking him, in stead of focusing on the root of his problems, which is a very arrogant "Up Yours" response from our "beloved motor manufacturer". Immediately making him out to be the villain, assuming he "broke" it, by hitting potholes, or by some other irresponsible means. If I got such a reception I would also not bother to come back after my first post..

I think it is right that he posted his complaint here. I think we all need to wake up and smell the coffee, and realise that our "beloved motor manufacturer" is nothing more than a corporate thug, thumbing its nose at the customers who buy their products and put them in up there in the first place. Sadly this is a world wide trend, the bottom line rules!! Now lets stand together and support our fellow Hilux driver... !!!
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Post by Pora »

All they look at is $$$$$$ no more Passion for quality
Rebel 4x4

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ThysdJ wrote:Me thinks the reason why Samson is gone, is because some of you guys started attacking him, in stead of focusing on the root of his problems, which is a very arrogant "Up Yours" response from our "beloved motor manufacturer". Immediately making him out to be the villain, assuming he "broke" it, by hitting potholes, or by some other irresponsible means. If I got such a reception I would also not bother to come back after my first post..

I think it is right that he posted his complaint here. I think we all need to wake up and smell the coffee, and realise that our "beloved motor manufacturer" is nothing more than a corporate thug, thumbing its nose at the customers who buy their products and put them in up there in the first place. Sadly this is a world wide trend, the bottom line rules!! Now lets stand together and support our fellow Hilux driver... !!!
Nicely summed up! :thumbup:
Sent from my iPhone
Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

for what its worth, when I first started my foray into the website I also was at a bit of wandering soul....I posted a question about something at the time that was really pathethic and stupid, however not knowing nothing about 4x4'ing, also being a soutie it was a bit daunting.. my question was how do you replace the OWL (outside white line) on your tyres, not a bad question, someone replied get down on your hands and knees and give it some elbow grease with a stiff brush.....i never returned for nearly a year....!

so in response to Samson's case, I agree with Thys, the guy was probably at his wits end, brought a vehicle (new) and this happens, hears about the forum and then posts a genuine concern and all he was looking for was some "positive" feedback. Yes ok we can argue he should have introduced himself, but that doesnt mean we must shoot the poor guy down in flames !!!

I think its good that he posted it here, if you drive an old hilux like me TSA dont give a proverbial flying **** about you and practically laugh in your face, I dont like toyota dealerships, dont generally like the staff that work at the places, smarmy, up their own backsides in self gratitude.....but you know what my hilux can beat a new hilux in the rough stuff pretty much most of the time....and I would never dream of taking it to a dealership to fix because....they wouldnt even know where to look.

Yes TSA or Toyota Japan are a huge company, but without us the consumer they are no one...TSA could take some good tips from the likes of Hyundai, I run 6 x I20's for my sales reps and the service and support I get is fantastic, I have 4 x H100 bakkies and once again you cannot knock them for backup, parts, turnaround etc. Look at all the big companies in SA, Eskom, Telkom, SAPS, have you noticed the amount of new vehicles that they are driving, they are not Toyotas but TATA's...why becuase of price and maybe because the back up after sales is better.

Before TSA get too big for their boots if they are not actually there already they need to take a deep breath, because if I had the dosh to go and buy a new vehicle a hilux would not be the only vehicle I looked at.

So to Samson i say, well done for posting a very informative article of what happend to you. I wish you all the luck and please visit the forum again....we are a bunch of good okes who are only too willing to help a guy when he is in need....why do I say that...because I have been there and got the T shirt....

cheers
Stubster
KZNSFA4Y
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Hilton
Vehicle: 92 Hilux D/C 2.2 4x4

Post by KZNSFA4Y »

I think Hyundai and Kia are going to overtake Toyota very soon. I love the new Hyundai's and Kia's their prices, looks, quality and the generous warantee. Companies like VW love to give you crappy three year warrantees and design the parts to last only as long as the warantee so that they can profit from their engeneering flaws. So mant common problems with my Golf 4 it was sickening.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Samson is from Birmingham? In the UK?
Whats he doing buying a hilux from TSA?

Samson, could you take some pics of the actual damage? Where was the actual break/fault? i'm surprised no1 asked about this and we all just went on about the wheel collapsing.

This is a first for me. I'd say it looks like the CV collapsed... either that or a big rock hit the wheel...

either way, glad to hear no1 was hurt and agree that TSA are a bunch of @#$@#$ who have no customer service + half of them dont know that they are doing
Real drivers use three pedals
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I would also like to hear more about this and what the final result was. I think if I had to make an introductory post similar to Samson's, I would have been a lot more volatile about it. That car is expensive, and as a hard-working (...well... sometimes, anyway! :mrgreen: ) wage earner, I would want nothing less than my money's worth.

So, Samson, please keep us informed!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Without wanting to stir the pot, Samson's username is interesting... TDV8*... that's a Range Rover engine! A very nice alternative to a Hilux, costing a whole lot more!

For those, like myself, that are uneducated on this engine read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_Rover_Sport

Not too shabby hey Nige! ;-)
TDV8*
Town: Birmingham
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by TDV8* »

Dear All

Thank you for viewing and taking an interest in my article on this unfortunate event involving this new Toyota Hilux in the Eastern Cape. I do apologise for the lack of introduction on my part before posting this topic, I was unsure of how to conduct myself correctly on this large members website at the beginning but hope this late introduction helps. My name is Samson based in Birmingham, England. The reason for having a Toyota Hilux registered in South Africa is due to my family having a property in the Eastern Cape near Graaff-Reinet and we enjoy traveling around your fantastic country. My family have always been loyal to Toyota purchasing 4 land cruisers and 2 Hilux’s in both South Africa and England in the last 18 months. There is no question about it we consider them to be the best vehicles at what they do, but we were disgusted by how little after sales care Toyota has for its customers especially after a new product came so close to potentially killing someone. I am sure that everyone reading this will appreciate how dangerous it is to lose control of a whole front left wheel at 120kph!!

I can vouch that all our vehicles are looked after and maintained well. Everyone who drives this vehicle does so carefully so a pot hole is out of the question, and I know for a fact that if it was a pot hole we would not be approaching Toyota and would not feed anyone that owns a Toyota any untruths about this shocking incident, and for this reason felt it was suitable to post the article on this respected website.

Unfortunately there are no other pictures of the damage on the Hilux, unless Toyota took some for documentation (if so I doubt we will ever see them), but the driver (who was shaken up for weeks) managed to take the few photos shown of the impact on the car from the broken bolt, which demonstrates how devastating it could have been. Unfortunately there were no pictures of the actual broken bolt holding the upper control arm.

Just want to say a very big thank you to everyone who put forward constructive comments and support towards this event. Also to everyone’s kind words for the driver of the Hilux when it happened!

Spotted by Mr T, I do have a Land Rover related name (TDV8), but have always been a keen supporter of the Land rover range as well as Toyota 4x4’s since very young!

Will try my best to make a speedy response in the future and keep you all updated as we go forward, please let me know if anyone has experienced similar problems or have any questions.

Many thanks
Samson
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Thanks for the introduction. Was the suspension standard on that vehicle or did they maybe fit after market suspension on suspension spacers?
To God be the glory

Return to “The Workshop”