buying an import in Mozambique

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: '89 Hilux DC

buying an import in Mozambique

Post by Sven »

Just had a bit of a brainwave today about buying an import from mozambique.
a friend of mine came through from Moz to visit me here in Nelspruit, he grew up here in SA and started
a tour guide company in Moz, now i have always had a thing for the hilux surf models that i see driving around nelspruit
but just dont know how i can ever get my hands on one. so the thing is this, in Moz i can get a 1997 hilux surf with a 5vz motor with 107 000km for around R50k, in my opinion that is an amazing price for an import that to me i prefer over a fortuner which with the same milage you would probably be looking around the R300k mark. so my opinion is that i could only get one if i had a mozambique passport but my friend says i dont, the only catch would be that i would have to drive to mozambique once a month for registration purposes. this sounds a bit of a schlep, but, mozambique is an hour away and when i used to live in Midrand it sometimes took me an hour just to get onto the N1 every morning off allendale(that was every morning) now if you drive a mozambique registered car the cops in moz wont give you as much trouble as what they give the south african registered cars. now i could save up the 50k and get one and go for prawns in moz once a month and i would be saving about 7000 a month if i had to get something like a pre owned fortuner.

or is there something i might be missing here?
'89 hilux D/C SFA, import spec.4YImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: buying an import in Mozambique

Post by OOOOMS »

Sven, I think you likes da Moz prawns way too much..... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
Bugzy
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2015 Hilux S/C 4X4 Dakar1996 2.8D s/c 4x4 Hilux with 3CT Toyota motor
Club VHF Licence: X56

Post by Bugzy »

Can you organize one for me as well? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Hi,
When we went to tofo last year I met up with a number of guys on the border that did exactly that.
After a while the border officials get to know you and everything goes quicker everytime.
If i lived closer to moz I would have done the same.

They are taking all our vigo and fortuners, lets return the favour and get some of those surf in SA (legally).

Great Idea.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

I'm super keen to go this route next time I think of buying a car, cos seeing the prices oaks are wanting for 80 series or fortuners I won't have one for a while, ha ha, well not ones in good nik, or similar milage.
Sven
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sven »

Spoke to another guy yesterday and it might even get better, he mentioned that if you register the car into a companys name you might only need to do the registration once a year!! But, one this he brought to my attention and he wasn't sure about was whether one needs third party insurance the same as when we go to moz for the period that one owns the car, I'm gona make a few calls to find out next week

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”