morganharris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

DIY KZTE Shackles and Spacers

Post by morganharris »

Hey guys

I just bought and installed Spacers and Shackles from 4x4direct and installed on my KZTE. My Father In Law says he can make the same kind of parts, just bigger for more lift. The ones i have are about 25mm lift and he says he can custom make new ones that will give me from 50mm to 75mm lift.

I know nothing about these kind of things, do you think we should give it a try?
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Re: DIY KZTE Shackles and Spacers

Post by Boland4x4 »

If you go with any more lift you will need a diff drop kit to avoid CV's binding, longer shocks because of the potentially bigger wheel travel and quick-disconnects for your sway bar, since it will be limiting your longer wheel travel. If your only purpose is for the bakkie to sit higher, rather opt for a body lift.
No mods :disgust:
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Remember, the ratio will be if you for example want 30mm lift the shackle must be made 60mm longer. Check prop and sideshaft angles, usually a 50-60mm lift is still within spec.
morganharris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by morganharris »

Boland4x4, you mention a "Body Lift", what is this exactly? Can I look at it online somewhere? Price?

Sorry for all the questions, I dont know much about these things
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

One day I'm going to make a reality series called: "DIY gone wrong!"

Hopefully your DIY schackles won't feature! :D:
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Morgan, forgive me for saying this, but it sounds as if you are still relatively inexperienced IRO the off-road scene. I would suggest that you don't do anything more to your vehicle at this point, but get more active with your local forum / club members and join them on excursions. First get to know your vehicle better and improve on your off-road driving skills .... (we all had to start somewhere). Then assess what it is that you want from your vehicle before you do mods that are not in line with your requirements. In the meantime do a search on "extended shackles" / "body lift" and "spacers" .... read up on the info in those topics .... it will give you a pretty good idea what each is about.

At least then you will be in a position to make a more informed decision. :thumbup:

Good luck and happy off-roading! ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

I tend to agree with oom Andy, he's not oom for nothing :mocking: , I did my first trial with a stock standard truck, fitted with racing slicks, not only learnt a lot about the truck and its limits but also mine. The mods I did/do is what I need in terms of my requirements. I want a truck that'll go overlanding comfortably and still manage to play.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Post by ROBERT »

I agree with Tumelo, I had my truck for a full year, and drove quite a few trails before I started modifying.
Rather invest in good quality shocks IE old man emu or EFS and good leaves, I have mikem leaves in the back with longer shackes giving a 30mm lift, and you would not believe the fdifference in wheel travel between the standard leaves and mikem leaves. the old man emu shocks also make a big difference

Return to “Build your own:”