Diesel to Petrol

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Diesel to Petrol

Post by leonbrink »

I am planning to convert my Hilux from Diesel to Petrol soon. I would appreciate some tips on what needs to be changed. I am not sure about the electrics, fuel lines etc. I need to make a decision whether to use the current radiator and change the outlet on top to the right side or buy a complete new radiator. The later seems safer but it is R285 vs. R1200? Any positive comments and tips welcome please.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: Diesel to Petrol

Post by BenHur »

What engine?
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

BenHurBul wrote:What engine?
22R
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Leon,

One question, why not the 4Y, about the same power as the 22R, better fuel consumption, easier to tweak ala brospeed etc, and it's very reliable? I know everyone has their own taste, I'm just curious...

What about the 7MGE? Bennie will sing it's praises all day long, given the chance... :wink:

Bretton
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

snipes wrote:Hi Leon,

One question, why not the 4Y, about the same power as the 22R, better fuel consumption, easier to tweak ala brospeed etc, and it's very reliable? I know everyone has their own taste, I'm just curious...
I couldn't have said it better meself!
snipes wrote: What about the 7MGE? Bennie will sing it's praises all day long, given the chance... :wink:

Bretton
I think Leon is more interested in a vehicle that actually drives, rather than a mantel-piece special :twisted: :mrgreen:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Hi

All good questions ;-)
The reason for the 22R is because I already have it. I bought it a while back for what I think was a bargain. The motor is gas flowed, have a full Brospeed kit and I got the brand new stainless steel free flow from front to back with. According to the logbook from the bakkie the engine was in, it used to get between 7 and 8 km/l @ 120 km/h (on the clock).
If I didn't have the 22R the 2.7i motor would have been my first choice... But iesh, the bucks...
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Family_BullDog wrote:
snipes wrote: What about the 7MGE? Bennie will sing it's praises all day long, given the chance... :wink:
I think Leon is more interested in a vehicle that actually drives, rather than a mantel-piece special :twisted: :mrgreen:
oeeee Eina! :twisted: :D
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Spoke to Danie today, I will go and drop off my engine there very soon
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

leonbrink wrote:The reason for the 22R is because I already have it.
hmmm. ok valid point! I'm also getting ready for EFI conversion, I've got all the basic bits, just need the Dictator EMS and stuff other goodies, and off we go. Bennie, when you have some time can we revisit the EFI thread, give us goofs some info around the distributor solution and what parts to get from where. I spoke to a 4x4 legend in CT today, Johan "Tyres", while the luxs wheel alignment was being done, he agrees GoFek is a waste of time, Dictator is the superior solution...

Snipes
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Iesh, I have to do my conversion next week....

Still no tips? I am sure someone have done it before?
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hey Leon,

Good luck with the conversion, I'm not experienced with conversions, I'm sure fitting the 22R is no big deal though, if the bellhousing is the same then it should be a piece of cake??? What about the radiator, can you use the same one>

Bretton
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

snipes wrote:...if the bellhousing is the same then it should be a piece of cake??? What about the radiator, can you use the same one
Luckily when I bought the engine, I bought the gearbox as well. I am going to use the bellhousing from the gearbox. The starter sits on the driver side compared to the Diesel.
I opted to buy a new radiator. The outlet on top sits on the wrong side. I can have it moved, but I feel safer getting a brand new one. The current radiator is afterall 23 years old!! :shock:
My biggest concern is electrics. That is where I need the help. I have little more than no clue what to do there!!
The rest is I think is easy as pie...
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Leon

Not too much electrics I imagine but as you go along post your questions and we can try and assist. Have you done your homework on diff ratios as it may now not be optimal?
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Hi Bennie,
Ek het so ruk terug my ewenaar vervang en die kom toevallig van 'n SFA met 'n 4Y in af. Ek glo darem hy sal reg wees. Om eerlik te wees, nou dat jy daarvan praat kan ek nie onthou of ek eers gekyk het of hy verskil met my vorige een nie! Al wat ek weet hy is nie 'n LSD nie waar my vorige een was.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

Hi Leon,

I know the 22R uses an electronic coil. This sits on the left fender of the Hilux, and I hope your engine has it included.

No the 22R out the Cressider does not have the same system.

If your engine does not have this, this coil is only available though the agent, and is about R1800 if I can remember.

Other than that, no major issues.

I hope you have the intake pipe from filter to intake manifold.
Swop over the fuel line.
You already have the bellhousing, so you need another clutch slave cylinder. The 22R bolts onto the same mountings as the L series engine.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have anymore questions. I'll PM my number.
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Thanks for the info Wade!

I got the electronic coil with, well, just about everything that was connected to the engine.

I did not check if I have the slave cylinder off the 2.4 Hilux. I did buy the gearbox together with the engine. Does the slave cylinder differ from the one from the diesel?

Jitte man, I hope I can do the transplant in one day!! At least i have quite a few friends who are very willing and eager to help! (Payment via beer!!)
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Leon

With all the beer rather budget the whole weekend not just one day. If I knew there was free beer coming I would not be in a rush so why do you think all your buddies would :twisted: :twisted:
Tristan
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kidds Beach
Vehicle: 97 Hilux D/C 2.4l 4x4

Post by Tristan »

Hmmmm!!! beer :mrgreen: can I come help :?: Im very good at handing tools, as long as I only have to use one hand cause I need the other one to hold the beer :lol:
ImageImageImage
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Post by iHilux »

leonbrink wrote: I did not check if I have the slave cylinder off the 2.4 Hilux. I did buy the gearbox together with the engine. Does the slave cylinder differ from the one from the diesel?
The clutch slave cylinder for the diesels is on the left of the clutch/gearbox, wihlst the on the petrols it sits on the right.

If you've bought the engine, bellhousing and the gearbox, you should have no problems. The slave cylinder should be included.

Provided you have "fuel line" to reroute your fuel to the right hand side, all the correct pipes from the filter to manifold, and all the pipes to connect the radiator, I can't see why it should take you longer than a day.

Oh, and nearly forgot - plenty of petrol!!! :twisted:

I know you mentioned the fuel consumption the vehicle cam out. But, what was the spec of that vehicle?

With 31" Muds on you Hilux, I would'nt expect to get anything more than 7km/l and that's with a light foot. Offroad and towing a small Venter, or driving at anything more than 120km/h, expect around 5.5km/l. :cry:
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Mmm, regarding the petrol.... I guess I will only be sure about the consumption once it is in and I drive around with it, hope it is not to much of a killer though! The vehicle it came out did have 31's on... Luckily at the current rate that diesel is increasing it should still work out to pretty much the same per km if you take services in mind.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

Conversion done.

Everything is done and fitted with a breeze. Electronics also not too much of a hassle with the exception of the connection of the electronic coil and unit underneath it (That does what?).
I am almost sure the coil should be working fine, as it was perfect in the vehicle the engine came out. So, for no we get no spark... DAMMIT!
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Leon

I do not know the 22R electronic ignition system, but if you post some pics I am sure we can figure something out
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by leonbrink »

A Auto electrician came out yesterday to have a look at the problem. He did one or two tests on the wires, had a quick chuckle, connected the wires to the coil and started the bakkie. First turn and it fired up! :shock: Just goes to show if you know what to do, something that took me more than an hour to figure out took him 5 minutes! :D
Man, that engine runs smooth! Can't wait for the weekend to try it out.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4

Return to “The Workshop”