Cape to Cunene 2012

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Cape to Cunene 2012

Post by george »

Baie nice Thysie :clap: :clap: Dit was nou 'n plesier om saam met julle te toer.

Sad om te hoor die Wranglers is so sag :wth: Ek het nogal my oog op 'n stel
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
andrevt
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

ai thys dis baie great
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

george wrote:Baie nice Thysie :clap: :clap: Dit was nou 'n plesier om saam met julle te toer.

Sad om te hoor die Wranglers is so sag :wth: Ek het nogal my oog op 'n stel
Ek dink enige band sou daar sy boude gesien het, en dit was grootliks my eie stoopidgeit.. ... en die glasstuk.. well, it happens..

Die band is vervang deur TWT met hulle x-sure insurance. Hulle het uitbetaal vir 7.5mm se ongebruikte loopvlak en die replacement het my net oor die R500 gekos. baie beter as R1700 wat 'n nuwe ene kos. Ek moes weer die nuwe band ook verseker, maar dit doen ek met 'n smile... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Summary

We enjoyed this tour immensely, and can not wait for the next one. Driving 6500km in 19 days is a big ask, and can be very tiring, especially with kids, or even in a group, but we were lucky we were alone, and could adjust our plans as and when required in an instant. Cash is still king in the smaller places and make sure to carry small denominations as well, as change is not always avaialble. The weather was perfect with warm days and cool nights. Even the rain we experienced in the southern part of Namibia was welcome.

Although route planning is important, it is also important to have a flexible itenary. We were stuck with a destination and a return-by date, and we didnt have much space for manouevering around our itenary, but we managed. There are some places that we would have loved to enjoy for longer, but that only gives us an excuse to go back again later.

I also need to find a way of managing my batteries and power better. At Epupa Falls in the heat, the fridge killed both spare batteries in less than 36 hours. Granted, these were normal cranking batteries, and they are not new either. I really need to investigate and invest in some solar/water/treadmill/wind chargers to keep the fridge going during hot days like that. We are very strict with our fridge-etiquette, and we only opened it once a day to change the ice-packs, but even that was enough to drain the power. No worries, the meat we had stayed frozen all the time, so we didnt suffer any damage. Luckily we have a year to worry about that.
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Vehicle and equipment used
Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 fitted with GOMAD Aluminium Canopy and roof rack
Rooftop tent on the cab
Spare wheel and tool box on top of the canopy
Rear seat removed and 40l Engel fridge and 45l Coleman cooler mounted in the place there-of.
Dual-dual battery system. Yes 2 spare batteries.

Maps/Navigation
Garmin Nuvi 500
T4A latest version
Map Studio Southern Africa Touring Atlas (19voetsek version) Old but still useful
Sahara Notebook with Mapsource

Communications
We set our Vodacom cell phones to International SMS roaming. We got cell phone reception at every place we got to, even in the remotest areas.
Bought a NTC sim card with air time for emergency phone calls.

Observations, realisations, revelations
We realised that on a tour such as this where we break up camp vitually every day, some sort of drawer system will have its benefits. We also had a great opportunity to evaluate our "kit" list, and there are some items that enjoyed their last tour with us as they never get used. We also identified the need for a few things we didnt have before, either because we thought they werent necessary, or because we never knew we needed it.

Because die Broodblik is a relatively new vehicle only bought about 3 months prior to this tour, it wasnt possible to fit everything. Some of the modifications are non negotiable (NN), and some are nice-to-haves (N2H).
1) Hi lift jack points (NN)
2) Roofrack tie-down points (NN)
3) Insulating cover for the fridge and cooler box (N2H)
4) Window tinting (NN)
5) Some sort of drawer system and loading deck (N2H)
6) Airbag Suspension Helpers (N2H)
7) Solar power (N2H)
8) Up to date paper maps (N2H)
9) MORE TIME!! (NN)
Thys de Jager

Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Very nice trip report. :thumbup: Thanks Thys.

I would like to see this contraption...
I really need to investigate and invest in some ... treadmill ... chargers ...
:laugh2:
Image Image Image Image
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Accommodation
We stayed in a variety of campsites, ranging from very comfortable to very basic.

Pofadder - Klein Plasie.
We booked a room, but they have 2 bedroom units available too. The rooms are comfortable, 2 beds, kettle and a bathroom. No kitchen facilities, but as we ate at the Pofadder Hotel we didnt need any. Watch for mossies, they are big and they come hungry!

Spreetshoogte - Namib Grens.
Very nice campsite, highly recommended. The tents makes life a lot easier.

Swakopmund - Municipal Camp.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom bungalow. Basic facilities, but we only needed a bed and lock-up facilities for 2 nights.

Erongo Mountains - Ameib Ranch
Fantastic campsite. Cement slabs to pitch your tent on, and each campsite has its own "picnic table" . There is a pool and you can have meals in a very nice lapa-restaurant and they have a bar! Also bungalows available.

Twyfelfontein
Aba Huab - Very basic, with grimey shower stalls and toilets. Camp site is clean and tidy though. if they clean out the showers it will be a nice place. Bar and ice available. The local ladies like to lie on the pool tables after dark, and there was much spinning of tyres and loud music late at night from the locals. .
Aabadi - A step up from Aba Huab. Bar but no ice.

Warm Quelle - Kowarib Lodge Campsite
Very nice campsite. Bathrooms are fantastic. Electricity is available at each site.

Puros - Puros Campsite
Bit dusty, and the facilities are pretty bush, but not too bad. Big trees, lots of shade.

Opuwo - Mopani Tented Camp
Cheap (well relatively) lodge accommodation. Good food, friendly staff, tents are neat and tidy.

Epupa Falls - Omarunga Lodge Campsite
Campsite very clean, the whole setting is just idyllic. There is a pool, and I think Mark mentioned something about a bar...

Ruacana - Eha Lodge Campsite
Grass under trees. A new experience for us. Nice, but not fantastic

Okahandja - Ombo Rest Camp
Small bungalow with 2 beds and a bathroom. Clean and tidy. We had dinner at the restaurant, the food was good value for money.

Noordoewer - Noordoewer Gastehuis

Just a room, double bed and bathroom. For a quick night's stay this is not too bad. They serve meals, and we had breakfast there.
Thys de Jager

Stubs
Town: Onrusrivier Hermanus
Vehicle: 89, Hilux D/cab 3.0L V6 Ford !!

Post by Stubs »

awesome report and pics Thys, will have to pick your brains about this trip !!!! maybe when I am big I can also do it !!! but the river pics looked so inviting until you mentioned the crocs !!!!
ROOFER
Town: grassy park cape town
Vehicle: 99 s/c hilux 4x4 2.7i long range tank & dual battery; 2003 nissan x-TRAIL (4X4)

Post by ROOFER »

Good stuff Thys :applaud: :applaud:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bravo :!: :!: :!:

Excellent report Thys and tx for all your trouble and effort put into doing this :thumbup: :thumbup:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Some other points
We asked Gideon van Zyl to bring us 2 tubes of Heavy Duty BushMan's Insect Repellent from Australia. This stuff works! Our neighbours were bitten raw by all the mossies that couldnt get close to us. It was expensive at R80 a tube, but 1 tube lasted us for the duration of the tour, and we have some left over. Also after the first night I was pretty glad we invested R80/tube because it works so well. Cape Union Mart used to sell it but they dont any more. If anybody knows where we can get hold of it in RSA please drop me an email.

Peeves
Once again, as before I made a point of greeting every single overlander that I encountered on the road. Mostly my greetings were returned enthusiastically, but sadly I have to report that most of those drivers who didnt bother were driving Hiluxes! Hey guys, I am driving a Hilux too!! Or should I just use the Ford next time! I understand that most of the Hiluxes running around in Namibia are rentals driven by suicidal European LHD tourists, but even they were greeting back with vigour just before driving off the wrong side of the road... Make a difference, lift a finger, and smile!!

A word of gratitute to the following people are in order
Thinus Blaauw from CrissCross Namibia Safaris for assisting us with route planning. He shared a lot of his intimate knowledge of the terrain and Namibia in general and with his help we went to places we would normally not have gone alone.
(http://www.crisscross.com.na" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Dirk Theron (Hodge Travel) and Anton Ferreira (The4x4Co) for their input and tips as well as some nice campsite recommendations, as well as moral support and constant motivation to do this tour in the first place.

All those overlanders who waved back, and to those who stopped to ask if we were okay when we were stranded in the desert!

And last but not least, the friendly people of Namibia!!!! Everybody, from the customs officials to the little Himba kids waving on the side of the road!! You guys are great, and you made this a very special adventure!
Thys de Jager

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

All done now... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the nice comments, guys!!... :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager

CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:Some other points
We asked Gideon van Zyl to bring us 2 tubes of Heavy Duty BushMan's Insect Repellent from Australia. This stuff works! Our neighbours were bitten raw by all the mossies that couldnt get close to us. It was expensive at R80 a tube, but 1 tube lasted us for the duration of the tour, and we have some left over. Also after the first night I was pretty glad we invested R80/tube because it works so well. Cape Union Mart used to sell it but they dont any more. If anybody knows where we can get hold of it in RSA please drop me an email.

Peeves
Once again, as before I made a point of greeting every single overlander that I encountered on the road. Mostly my greetings were returned enthusiastically, but sadly I have to report that most of those drivers who didnt bother were driving Hiluxes! Hey guys, I am driving a Hilux too!! Or should I just use the Ford next time! I understand that most of the Hiluxes running around in Namibia are rentals driven by suicidal European LHD tourists, but even they were greeting back with vigour just before driving off the wrong side of the road... Make a difference, lift a finger, and smile!!

A word of gratitute to the following people are in order
Thinus Blaauw from CrissCross Namibia Safaris for assisting us with route planning. He shared a lot of his intimate knowledge of the terrain and Namibia in general and with his help we went to places we would normally not have gone alone.
(http://www.crisscross.com.na)

Dirk Theron (Hodge Travel) and Anton Ferreira (The4x4Co) for their input and tips as well as some nice campsite recommendations, as well as moral support and constant motivation to do this tour in the first place.

All those overlanders who waved back, and to those who stopped to ask if we were okay when we were stranded in the desert!

And last but not least, the friendly people of Namibia!!!! Everybody, from the customs officials to the little Himba kids waving on the side of the road!! You guys are great, and you made this a very special adventure
!
En wat van jou ma en pa? :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dankie Ma en Pa... :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:Dankie Ma en Pa... :twisted: :twisted:
Daai is mos nou beter :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Sooo.... I gather we have to wait for another twelve months for the next report, Thys? :mrgreen:

Very nice report with plenty of good pics. You, Sir, are a Gentleman!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

You are too kind Oom Eric! :silent: :silent:

Unfortunately you will have to wait 10 months and 3 weeks for another one of these.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Absolutely GREAT report, Thys!! Very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

First class trip report Thys.Spendid pics as well.Well done and thanks for sharing them with us.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Thys, very nice report and thanks for taking us along :thumbup:
ThysdJ wrote:We asked Gideon van Zyl to bring us 2 tubes of Heavy Duty BushMan's Insect Repellent from Australia. This stuff works! Our neighbours were bitten raw by all the mossies that couldnt get close to us. It was expensive at R80 a tube, but 1 tube lasted us for the duration of the tour, and we have some left over. Also after the first night I was pretty glad we invested R80/tube because it works so well. Cape Union Mart used to sell it but they dont any more. If anybody knows where we can get hold of it in RSA please drop me an email.
would like to get some of this product - pls let me know when you find Thys :thumbup:

Did you take red meat from SA to Nam? I see in the latest Weg- Namibia isse they say you are not allowed to. That was never the case before on our visits to Nam. If not allowed where can I get meat as our trip in the south does not include any "big towns" and we hit Nam on a Saturday afternoon.Ai-Ais, Klein Aus, Sesriem and then Swakop.

Anyone with any suggestions?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Niel wrote:Thys, very nice report and thanks for taking us along :thumbup:
ThysdJ wrote:We asked Gideon van Zyl to bring us 2 tubes of Heavy Duty BushMan's Insect Repellent from Australia. This stuff works! Our neighbours were bitten raw by all the mossies that couldnt get close to us. It was expensive at R80 a tube, but 1 tube lasted us for the duration of the tour, and we have some left over. Also after the first night I was pretty glad we invested R80/tube because it works so well. Cape Union Mart used to sell it but they dont any more. If anybody knows where we can get hold of it in RSA please drop me an email.
would like to get some of this product - pls let me know when you find Thys :thumbup:

Did you take red meat from SA to Nam? I see in the latest Weg- Namibia isse they say you are not allowed to. That was never the case before on our visits to Nam. If not allowed where can I get meat as our trip in the south does not include any "big towns" and we hit Nam on a Saturday afternoon.Ai-Ais, Klein Aus, Sesriem and then Swakop.

Will let you know if I find it Niel.

We didnt take meat over the border, only enough for 1 braai and some stuff to make a brekkie. I dont know where you are going to get meat between Noordoewer and Ai-Ais, although Noordoewer does have shops, and I'm sure there will be a butchery there. Namibia is meat country, and it is always good to support the local economy.

At Abaadi we met Frans and Nadine who told us of this skuily butchery in Omaruru where they bought 3 "smokeys" (gerookte worsies). They didnt feel comfortable to buy more meat there, but about 20km out of town they tried the smokeys, and turned back to go buy more... :twisted: :twisted:

Dont let the looks of a place deceive you. Just because it doesnt look like Tygervalley doesnt mean the quality is necessarily inferior.
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Offtopic
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:
Niel wrote:Thys, very nice report and thanks for taking us along :thumbup:

Will let you know if I find it Niel.

We didnt take meat over the border, only enough for 1 braai and some stuff to make a brekkie. I dont know where you are going to get meat between Noordoewer and Ai-Ais, although Noordoewer does have shops, and I'm sure there will be a butchery there. Namibia is meat country, and it is always good to support the local economy.

At Abaadi we met Frans and Nadine who told us of this skuily butchery in Omaruru where they bought 3 "smokeys" (gerookte worsies). They didnt feel comfortable to buy more meat there, but about 20km out of town they tried the smokeys, and turned back to go buy more... :twisted: :twisted:

Dont let the looks of a place deceive you. Just because it doesnt look like Tygervalley doesnt mean the quality is necessarily inferior.
Daar is iewers 'n lewens les in daai lyn
To God be the glory
Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux D/C 2.7

Post by Tokkie »

When over the border take the turn off to the Engen garage and then right on the road that follows the river. About 80km further you will get Aussenkehr Farm they have a Spar down there with a nice butchery. About 20km past the Spar there is a road that turns right taking you to the road that goes to Fish River Canyon and Ais-Ais. Nice scenic road and distance is about 25km further.
Image Image
http://www.umkulu.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breederiverraftingtours.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangeriverrafting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Thys! I was looking forward to every single delivery and found myself logging on just to check if there was a new episode! :D: :D:

Ek het nog 36 slapies - en jy het belowe om my besig te hou vir nog 35 - nou wat nou?? :twisted: :twisted:

PS @ Neil: Offtopic miskien, maar lyk my ons gaan saam in Ais-Ais wees, ons is daar 23 - 25 Junie.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

HennieO wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Thys! I was looking forward to every single delivery and found myself logging on just to check if there was a new episode! :D: :D:

Ek het nog 36 slapies - en jy het belowe om my besig te hou vir nog 35 - nou wat nou?? :twisted: :twisted:

PS @ Neil: Offtopic miskien, maar lyk my ons gaan saam in Ais-Ais wees, ons is daar 23 - 25 Junie.
Sterkte Hennie :mocking: :mocking:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

george wrote:

Sterkte Hennie
:mocking: :mocking:
Ons innige simpatie, Hennie ... :lol:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek sal my beslis bookings varander as ek jy is Hennie.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:

Ek sal my beslis bookings varander as ek jy is Hennie.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Of baie hoë gehalte oor pluisies kry :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Niel is eintlik 'n nice ou :thumbup: Vir 5 min....... :mocking: :mocking: :mocking:
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 2.7;2012 MB ML350;2016 MB C220 BLUETEC; 1999 VW GOLF 1.6; VW Caddy P/V

Post by HennieO »

:shock: Eish!! :shock:
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Ek het darem nou lekker gelees. Dankie Thys. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Excellent :yahoo:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Niel

Post by Niel »

Hennie, ons eerste aand is die 24ste in Ai Ais, ons is 3 families 2 met Echo trailers en n Suzi.
Niel

Post by Niel »

Edge, het jou PM gekry dankie
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by HennieO »

Hennie, ons eerste aand is die 24ste in Ai Ais, ons is 3 families 2 met Echo trailers en n Suzi.
:thumbup: Sal vir jou 'n koue hou. Ons 3 gesinne, die Lux , "n Pajero :oops: en 'n Landrover :oops: :oops:
HennieO
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by HennieO »

En hierdie 4 sal jy waarskynlik hoor wanneer jy deur die grenspos kom!
kids.jpg
Niel

Post by Niel »

O hel dan met die 5 kieddies saam met ons gaan ons dan slaap pille moet vat :lol:

Return to “Trip Reports”