Questions about SFA Headlight Lenses

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

Questions about SFA Headlight Lenses

Post by SideKick »

Hi guys

So I'm still busy trying to get as much out of my headlights as possible.

The thing now is I have those crystal / clear lenses. I went looking at what else was avaliable, but could only find those lenses with the vertical lines across it. I was then told that it's because of those clear lenses that my headlights are so weak. Those vertical lines are supposed to focus your light and those clear lenses don't do it. Your light gets shined all over the place and that is why it's so weak.

But somewhere here on the forum I read that those Osram night breaker plus bulbs only work nice with those clear lenses . . .

So which would work better? Those origeonal lenses with the vertical lines across it or the clear lenses?

Thanks!!!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Questions about SFA Headlight Lenses

Post by CasKru »

Those vertical lines is to defuse the light and spread it better. With the clear lenses you have more of a focused beam like spotlights.

It doesn't matter how bright the light is as long as the bulb filaments are in the focal point of the reflector
To God be the glory
SideKick
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock

Post by SideKick »

OK.

So which do I want? Which will work better for me as headlights with the Osram bulbs? Do I keep the clear lenses and just adjust the angle lower (It's pointing quite high I think at the moment, that "spot" where my headlights point usually shows just below the window of the car in front of me, not on the actual road where I need to see. How do I know at which angle my lights should be?), or do I get the lenses with the vertical slits? Which will work better for me as headlights with the Osram bulbs?
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Those clear lense work lekka with the HID conversions but with the normal Halogen the light closeby is a problem. I personaly would go with the standard spec Hella replacement lenses (with the diffuser) if I were you.
To God be the glory
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

CasKru wrote:Those clear lense work lekka with the HID conversions but with the normal Halogen the light closeby is a problem. I personaly would go with the standard spec Hella replacement lenses (with the diffuser) if I were you.
What is a diffuser?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

CasKru wrote:Those vertical lines is to defuse the light and spread it better. With the clear lenses you have more of a focused beam like spotlights.

It doesn't matter how bright the light is as long as the bulb filaments are in the focal point of the reflector
:thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If I'm not mistaken, the clear lenses are not legal for normal lights but are OK for driving lights, i.e. to be used on the open road where there is no oncomonig traffic. The 'diffuser' lenses don't just spread / diffuse the light, they crreate a beam pattern which is low on the side of oncoming traffic but higher to the left in our case where we drive on the LHS of the road. In high beam they pool the beam in the centre without the LHS bias, so IMO clear lenses do not give you that much of an advantage IRO better lighting. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
SideKick

Post by SideKick »

CasKru wrote:
CasKru wrote:Those vertical lines is to defuse the light and spread it better. With the clear lenses you have more of a focused beam like spotlights.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Ahhhh :slap:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Standard lenses + osram + relay upgrade = perfect!
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

zepplin wrote:Standard lenses + osram + relay upgrade = perfect!

x 1000!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SideKick

Re: Questions about SFA Headlight Lenses - Answered

Post by SideKick »

Thanks a lot guys.

Going camping this weekens so will replace those light units next week :thumbup:
krazy_kameleon
Town: Fourways
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 4X4 2.4 22R (fuel injection in the pipeline)

Post by krazy_kameleon »

Family_Dog wrote:
zepplin wrote:Standard lenses + osram + relay upgrade = perfect!

x 1000!

-F_D
Just make sure you get a decent relay. Bosch or Hella.
I have had relays failing after only a few weeks :shock:

I also prefer to fit the relay under the dash rather than in the engine bay. There is less heat and grime and water and they seem to last longer. the only disadvantage is the length of the wire need so you need to make sure that the size of the cable is up to the job. As the job of running all the wires is the biggest pain I always use bigger than I need then I know its done and done for good.

enjoy your camping
Doom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: '92 Hilux 2.2 DC 4x4 - "Boetman"; '96 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - Lexus, 98 Toyota Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Doom »

krazy_kameleon wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:
zepplin wrote:Standard lenses + osram + relay upgrade= perfect!

x 1000!

-F_D
Just make sure you get a decent relay. Bosch or Hella.
I have had relays failing after only a few weeks :shock:

I also prefer to fit the relay under the dash rather than in the engine bay. There is less heat and grime and water and they seem to last longer. the only disadvantage is the length of the wire need so you need to make sure that the size of the cable is up to the job. As the job of running all the wires is the biggest pain I always use bigger than I need then I know its done and done for good.

enjoy your camping
Ek wou nou net vra wat behels daai relay upgrade? Is dit maar net 'n nuwe relay of is daar meer iets geheimsinnigs agter dit? :shifty:
ImageImageImageImageImage
LOS MAAR DIE KAAS, GENIET DIT NET !!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Remember to add a fuse as well, one for each relay feed from the battery to the lights. The fuses should be mounted as close to the battery + as practical, no more than a few centimetres.

Willem, "Relay upgrade" refers fitting relays to the lights thereby cutting down on excessive wiring between the light switch and the globes. The idea is that the dip switch & light switch operate the relays and not the globes. This cuts down on voltage drop and makes a huge improvement in the brightness of the lights.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SideKick

Post by SideKick »

Doom wrote:Ek wou nou net vra wat behels daai relay upgrade? Is dit maar net 'n nuwe relay of is daar meer iets geheimsinnigs agter dit? :shifty:
Hierdie is die relay upgrade waarvan ons praat:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=26107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Post by 519franco »

go HIDs straight it much brighter than that over wired relays
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

519franco wrote:go HIDs straight it much brighter than that over wired relays
But illegal and blinds oncoming traffic... been there done that and tore the T-shirt
To God be the glory
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 519franco »

CasKru wrote:
But illegal and blinds oncoming traffic... been there done that and tore the T-shirt
not illegal only illegal if you pass the 50 or 60w. hids are 35w but can buy 100w. i also heard that if it passes 8000k. but put 600k in and it brighter than your guys relay story
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

519franco wrote:
CasKru wrote:
not illegal only illegal if you pass the 50 or 60w. hids are 35w but can buy 100w. i also heard that if it passes 8000k. but put 600k in and it brighter than your guys relay story
But you still blind the oncoming traffic due to the light pattern that changed when fitting HID where the glowing gas bubble position in the reflector is not the same as the tungsten filament in the normal globes
To God be the glory
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 519franco »

that thats guys problem and btw when you install them you goto reajust your light so it doesnt and it will be brighter

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”