ToyRover Hybrid

Of course there are people who only dream about driving a Hilux or Cruiser. They are welcome to show us their current vehicles here, ask questions or post some exciting new releases.
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

ToyRover Hybrid

Post by jakeslouw »

Ja nee, the only thing you can call a Landy with Hilux axles is a ToyRover I suppose...... :lol:

I'm busy looking for a Series 2 or Series 3 Landy pickup. I love the shape and the appearance. The vehicle will be used for farm work and overlanding with an aluminium canopy.

Now the old Series Landies weren't known for strong axles shafts even when new, and now that those axles are getting to be over 30 years old......wet spaghetti is maybe a good description. But I'd like the axles to be able to handle anything up to a grade 4 trail.

The Landy series vehicle can be upgraded to a Salisbury (Dana60 copy) at the back, but these are flipping scarce these days. And lockers aren't very easy to find.

So the plan is to buy a set of SFA Lux or leaf spring FJ40 Cruiser axles and swop them into the Landy.

At the same time, I'll be wondering whether I should go for the 5-speed Lux gearbox and the Toyota transfer case as well?

Anybody done some of these swops so that you can help me with diff ratios, etc?
Is the rear axle diff pumpkin centered or offset on the SFA rear axle?
I seem to remember that only the FJ40 series was offset and the Hilux was a center pumpkin?

I assume lockers or LSDs are available for these diffs?

By the way: engine will NOT be standard Land Rover: probably a Jap turbo diesel.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: ToyRover Hybrid

Post by Hoppy »

The cruisers were offset to the driver's side and the hilux is straight.

It would be much easier and a better option to get a complete sfa chassis and bolt the poprivit body ontop of it, as the series rover chassis were prone to rust.

would like to hear the coments if you swop the rover ovals for two Toyota ovals!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jakeslouw »

The Series chassis was no more prone to rust than any mild steel chassis I reckon.

Try find a early SFA Hilux at the coast without chassis rust?
As for being easier: nope, there are just too many cross-member and outrigger differences, it would take a year just to measure and weld up the extra bits.

Ja a subtle change of badge could be amusing!

So if I go SFA Lux axles, I have to do the t-case and gearbox conversion.....was the SFA a divorced t-case or was it attached to the gearbox? Which gearbox is better?

I've also hear the early FJ40 cruiser axles were not so good?

Did all the SFA Luxes come with front disks? I assume only the early J40 pre-1976 were drums?
blom
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Landrovia
Vehicle: xj jeep & SERIES 3 & Isuzu KB 300 Dtec DC

Post by blom »

i agree with hops
get adifferent chassis and do a transplant
my previous landrover was a rangerover chassis with a series 2 firewall and series 3 fenders bonnet grill and bak at the back
to find a good series chassis is fairly scarse
i have a set off series papers but no vehicle that might help the project along
regatrds
Grensvegter van LANDROVIA
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jakeslouw »

It's TEMPTING..........

An old Defender or RRC chassis with Series 2 or 3 body panels would be ideal........and was my first choice

But that's a 12 month project and I just DON'T have the time for that. I need a pickup fairly soon as I've just sold my 110 CSW and I don't have any rough-stuff 4x4 (NOT taking the WJ or TJ through a bush!!!!)

So back to the question: which drivetrain would be better: J40 or SFA LUX?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

SFA would be more readily available.

Bel vir Barrie van Ultimate 4x4 - hy kry alles vir meeste 4x4(veral Toy's) in die hande en is oor die algemeen meer bekostigbaar as die manne langs die N1...
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by jakeslouw »

Thanks Thabo.

I assume J60 drivetrains are still very scarce?

Return to “Other Vehicles”