Mods I would like to do

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: 96 Hilux 2.4 efi DC SFA, Gomad canopy,

Mods I would like to do

Post by Tonto »

After my recent trip of more than 2000 km I would like to change the following on Rooi oog [dependant on budget and availability]
1. Fit heat shield to centre and floor as a lot of heat is transfered to the cab, especially on the passenger side.
2. replace/repair the door dust rubbers.[are they available for a decent price?]
3. Improve the power of the interior fan, which might help to keep dust from entering the cab.
4. Improve my packing system
5. Improve my battery charging system [ maybe these should be on top of the list]
6.Buy a better camera.
7. learn how to repack my pop up shower.

Anyone with previous experience are welcome to comment.

Regards.
Andre
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Mods I would like to do

Post by Donkey »

Tonto wrote:After my recent trip of more than 2000 km I would like to change the following on Rooi oog [dependant on budget and availability]
1. Fit heat shield to centre and floor as a lot of heat is transfered to the cab, especially on the passenger side.
2. replace/repair the door dust rubbers.[are they available for a decent price?]
3. Improve the power of the interior fan, which might help to keep dust from entering the cab.
5. Improve my battery charging system [ maybe these should be on top of the list]
6.Buy a better camera.

Regards.
Andre
After our trip, I'm with you on point 4. Currently what charging system do you have on? I would propose you look at DC to DC charging, worked magic for us, trip was about 5000 km's
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

I use a Cole Hersee that I can switch on with a toggle In the cab. Power is supplied from the alternator to the coil so it switches off automatically when the alternator stops charging.
Sort of a manual National Luna system.
The battery is a 105 Ah high cycle.
I have a dual batt monitor in the cab so I can monitor the status of my battery system easily. I is obvious that this type of system does not work properly, as the aux battery goes down every day and does not get charged properly. I used a power outlet as much as possible to charge the batt again with my Benton 2.

I have done some reading on this matter and it seems the Ctek is the way to go.
I will also start shopping for solar panels soon.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Ctek is not the only option, try these people also: http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for around a grand you can get a 12A unit - this unit was adequate to charge my 105Ah Deltec enough to run a 60 ltr fridge/freezer for 2 days at a go.

How the system operates is, once you switch the ignition on, power to run your fridge goes to the main battery after starting, this allows the alternator to charge the main battery and via the DC to DC charger charge the second battery with a full 12A while you drive. When you stop the 2nd battery takes over your fridge automatically, this unit also has an alternate connection for a solar panel, unlike the Ctek.
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Tonto wrote:1. Fit heat shield to centre and floor as a lot of heat is transfered to the cab, especially on the passenger side.
Andre, I had the same problem with my Hilux. I removed the carpets, blocked every single hole in the floor, and added some insulation under the carpets. I used 3 of those cheap dog blankets you get from Makro for R25 as insulation. This not only keeps the heat out, but also sound. In the spots where the most heat came thru I doubled them up.
Tonto wrote:2. replace/repair the door dust rubbers.[are they available for a decent price?]
Also check under your carpets for holes in the floor. This is where lots of dust enters the cab. Also against the rear wall of the cab, there are vents, they also let dust in. I found that just re-attaching the door rubbers (they some loose where they go around tight turns) also helps to keep the dust out.
Tonto wrote:3. Improve the power of the interior fan, which might help to keep dust from entering the cab.
This will help. :thumbup: :thumbup: Some guys tried with double fans etc. If I remeber correctly there is a corolla model fan that fits and blows much stronger. Search the forum,some guys spoke about it a while ago.
Tonto wrote:4. Improve my packing system
This is an ongoing quest, sterkte :twisted: :twisted:

Tonto wrote:5. Improve my battery charging system [ maybe these should be on top of the list]
I am with Donkey on this one. I also need to improve my charging systems, and solar is definitely on my list as well.
Tonto wrote:6.Buy a better camera.
Ditto.. :twisted: :twisted:
Tonto wrote:7. learn how to repack my pop up shower.
Please make a video while you practice and post it here. It will be fun to watch, and keep the guys entertained for hours.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

We've been testing a 30A DC-DC Charger and I am perfectly happy with it.

See here for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=28855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

Donkey wrote:Ctek is not the only option, try these people also: http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for around a grand you can get a 12A unit - this unit was adequate to charge my 105Ah Deltec enough to run a 60 ltr fridge/freezer for 2 days at a go.

How the system operates is, once you switch the ignition on, power to run your fridge goes to the main battery after starting, this allows the alternator to charge the main battery and via the DC to DC charger charge the second battery with a full 12A while you drive. When you stop the 2nd battery takes over your fridge automatically, this unit also has an alternate connection for a solar panel, unlike the Ctek.
Thanks Tumelo,
It just seems the Ctek has got it figured out as far as most of the issues are concerned. The 250S dual can also accept a solar panel. They also seem to be able to handle the new lead crystal batteries. Expensive I know, but maybe cheaper in the long run with less management problems.
After my experience in the Baviaans, I would like to go for something I can trust. The fuel on my complete trip cost more than a proper management system, and I almost had to have cold beer!!
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

ThysdJ wrote:
Tonto wrote:1. Fit heat shield to centre and floor as a lot of heat is transfered to the cab, especially on the passenger side.
Andre, I had the same problem with my Hilux. I removed the carpets, blocked every single hole in the floor, and added some insulation under the carpets. I used 3 of those cheap dog blankets you get from Makro for R25 as insulation. This not only keeps the heat out, but also sound. In the spots where the most heat came thru I doubled them up.

Thanks Thys. have you also looked at a shield around the exhaust? It seems the biggest source of heat is just that, and then the gearbox.
Tonto wrote:2. replace/repair the door dust rubbers.[are they available for a decent price?]
Also check under your carpets for holes in the floor. This is where lots of dust enters the cab. Also against the rear wall of the cab, there are vents, they also let dust in. I found that just re-attaching the door rubbers (they some loose where they go around tight turns) also helps to keep the dust out.

This I have checked. There was a lot of evidence of fine dust creeping in through spots around the door rubbers. Are they available from the dealers only?
Tonto wrote:3. Improve the power of the interior fan, which might help to keep dust from entering the cab.
This will help. :thumbup: :thumbup: Some guys tried with double fans etc. If I remeber correctly there is a corolla model fan that fits and blows much stronger. Search the forum,some guys spoke about it a while ago.
Tonto wrote:4. Improve my packing system
This is an ongoing quest, sterkte :twisted: :twisted:

I realise this must be a personal issue. I had my chairs and table and a cold one sorted, but strangely enough, you can have as many cold beverages available as possible, when you want a cup of coffee, you dont want to unpack the whole lot!

Tonto wrote:5. Improve my battery charging system [ maybe these should be on top of the list]
I am with Donkey on this one. I also need to improve my charging systems, and solar is definitely on my list as well.
Tonto wrote:6.Buy a better camera.
Ditto.. :twisted: :twisted:
Tonto wrote:7. learn how to repack my pop up shower.
Please make a video while you practice and post it here. It will be fun to watch, and keep the guys entertained for hours.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Instructions will follow.
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

Family_Dog wrote:We've been testing a 30A DC-DC Charger and I am perfectly happy with it.

See here for more info:

-F_D
Thanks Eric, I am just concerned about the power output of my alternator. With the unit capable of charging 30 amps, there will probably be too little available for the rest. If I can keep my aux batt charged by solar, the standard alternator should be able to cope.
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Solar is die beste opsie en jy kan sommer die crancking battery ook laai.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Tonto wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:We've been testing a 30A DC-DC Charger and I am perfectly happy with it.

See here for more info:

-F_D
Thanks Eric, I am just concerned about the power output of my alternator. With the unit capable of charging 30 amps, there will probably be too little available for the rest. If I can keep my aux batt charged by solar, the standard alternator should be able to cope.
Andre, my understanding is that the unit does not draw the 30A as such from the alternator, but instead generates it from itself, the unit on its own draws very little current, hope this helps and hope my understanding is right :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Tonto
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Tonto »

That would be called a fuel cell. :eh:

The unit will actually draw more current from the alternator than what it will put into the battery, as the unit itself does a work that generates heat and needs to be cooled down by a fan. All this needs energy and this needs to come from the petrol tank.
The only way to win would be by using the sun.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Andre

I also tried shields around the exhaust, but with all the bends and other obstructions, I went for the under carpet insulation only. It worked sufficiently. What I also did and forgot to mention was that I stuck flashband (the stuff they use for roofing) on the floor over the transmission hump (where the gearbox is) to aid with keeping the heat out. I also stuck that to the front firewall where it was difficult to get the blankets to stick. :thumbup:

I also took some of the offcuts of the dog blankets and wrapped it around the gear levers (under the boots) which also helped with heat and insulation. :thumbup:

You can try Rubber Products and Mouldings in Parow (http://www.rpm.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) for door rubbers, but I would advise against removing them if they are not broken.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Tonto wrote:After my recent trip of more than 2000 km I would like to change the following on Rooi oog [dependant on budget and availability]
-

-

- I switch the air system to "re-cycle" when going off tar. As long as possible I keep all windows closed and only use the aircon. this way we do keep out most of the dust.

- nice drawer system :) :)

We use "milk crates" with our drawer system, My wife has two crates for the "kitchen" and food. She can pack at her leisure - inside the house. Just before we leave I take these two crates and slot it into posisition in the drawer system. (I also have a couple of crates for my stuff in the drawer system)

JIP !! 2 years back I did the best I could for this. (cole hersey and charging from the alternator, with THICK wires) It DID work WELL. Now it seems a number of the Hella plugs are giving some volt drop issues ....

I can see a whole re-wire in my future - at least areound the Hella connectors. Might just go for "Dean plugs" ....

I will also add a solar panel before we do another long stay in Namib/Kgalagadi. THIS will require a whole new approach !! I do believe the C-Tek unit that works as a DC-DC WITH solar AND alternator input is the route to go ... HOPING/SEARCHING for a more cost effective item that does all of this !

6.Buy a better camera.
EASY :)

ORMS ..... :) :)

hehehe ...

Regards.
Andre
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Donkey wrote:
Tonto wrote:

See here for more info:

-F_D
Andre, my understanding is that the unit does not draw the 30A as such from the alternator, but instead generates it from itself, the unit on its own draws very little current, hope this helps and hope my understanding is right :thumbup:

Yep - the unit is rated at 30A maximum, the actual amount of current drawn from the Alternator would depend on the state of discharge of the battery. When the battery is fully charged the unit draws nothing, well, perhaps a few milliamps idling current.

The rate of charge is dependent upon the type of battery, the status of the battery and during our tests (admittedly static - on the workbench), the fan never even switched on as the unit remained cold.

This unit is not only a charger, it also operates at a constant voltage (user selectable) for powering a multitude of nominal 12v accessories as well.

Solar panels are a good idea, I have them as well, but the disadvantage is the size of a decent setup. But when one camps at a single site for a number of days, there is nothing better for maintaining the battery - provided there is sunshine ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Haal die voortse mat uit en plak die vloer, tonnel en firewall met "Flashband" en sit die matte terug
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”