Where to mount RTT on D/C Hilux?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Wegbreek
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZTE

Where to mount RTT on D/C Hilux?

Post by Wegbreek »

I need advise from the manne that know? I have a D/C Hilux, with Alu-cab canopy. Can we mount the RTT straight onto the canopy or must it be mounted on load bars first? Question 1

Question 2: where is the best position to mount the RTT? On the canopy or over the cab? Some people say distribute your weight evenly on the vehicle. As its is I have a second fuel tank at the back (extra 55-60kg, with fuel): Alucab canopy (58kg); fridge approx 30kg. Then that does not take into account any additional water and all the boxes that go in the back. I'm just worried that we will be too heavy at the back with the RTT on the canopy.

Advise please!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: Where to mount RTT on D/C Hilux?

Post by Donkey »

For the sake of weight distribution as you, you may consider mounting it on load bars (Frontrunner stock them) on the cabin roof, but depending on how high your bakkie is, you may battle to pull into your garage and wind drag. Also low lying tree branches might be a pain, :think:

Not sure what others think.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not an RTT fan myself, but I think that mostly they're mounted on the roof because the standard canopies aren't sturdy enough without extra bracing. You should have no problem with mounting it on the alu canopy, but yes, I think weight distribution is a factor worth considering. it would also depend on what all else you will want to load, like jerry cans / spare wheel etc. It could be that the other stuff may be heavier than the RTT in which case you might well want to mount the RTT on the canopy for better weight distribution. :think:

If it were me, I would keep the heavier stuff loaded low down and the lighter stuff higher up for a better COG. In that case the RTT would be the heaviest and better on the roof. Furthermore, if your alu canopy already has a rack on top, I would use that rack for the odd bits that one might want to load up there instead of getting another rack for the roof .... Load bars are a lot cheaper than RR's, so it could save you a few pennies too. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

It's a tricky one hey oom Andy?
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Donkey wrote:It's a tricky one hey oom Andy?
Not really Tumelo. Wayne has the option of either the roof or the canopy .... it depends on his personal requirements / preferences. It does sound like he anticipates a lot of extra weight at the back already, so it may well be best on the roof. As I said, that also leaves him the option of using / not using the top of the canopy depending on what is being loaded for the specific trip and if he keeps the heavier stuff low, then the RTT will be the heaviest load on top .... better if it's central so as not to overload the rear axle. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Mount it as far back as possible for lower wind resistance
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

a few things to consider.

If you mount it on the canopy you dont need the load bars, cutting down on height and wind resistance.

I found that mounting it on the canopy, as close to the front as possible, the wind resistance is a lot less because of the way the wind is deflected by the windscreen.

Too far back adds to "gat-hang" when your hilux is fully loaded, and increases the back area of the vehicle,causing a bigger vacuum/vortex sucking more dust and causing drag.

On the roof is better weight distribution between the axles, but you need loadbars raising the whole contraption by 5 inches. And usually the front of the tent cover is plastered with dead muggies, butterflies and other tor-sop when you want to pitch tent at nite.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Wegbreek
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZTE

Post by Wegbreek »

Thank you for the advise guys. Much appreciated. There is a lot to think about.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Put RTT on vehicle roof opening to the front, with the ladder fitting onto the Bull Bar. This way you only use half the ladder which also cuts down on time & space. You can the also maneuver the vehicle with the tent up, as it is not resting on the ground. You then also take up less space in camps that are too small for more than one couple, as you only utalise the space on your vehicle. You then can also utalise the space on your canopy to load wood & other neccessaties. This load always fluctuates as you use your wood & then add to the load when you top up again.
Good luck on your decision.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

This is my RTT setup:

:thumbup:
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Even fully loaded the bakkie stands very level, but I do have a winch up front that may balance things out. I fitted Front runner load bars on the canopy with 75mm mounting because I have a SS table that slides in between the canopy and RTT.

I have travel at least 20k km with this setup through Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe without any problems I tend to stick to the roads less traveled.

As for wind resistance, I have 4 jerry cans up front so they are the main cause the RTT make no additional difference. Under 100km/h the extra drag is negligible, over 120km/h it is considerable.
:thumbup:
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

here is my set up over the bonet
botswana trp 354 (Small).jpg
botswana trp 354 (Small).jpg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
botswana trp 016 (Small).jpg