3.0L D4d or 4.2L Cruiser or other for towing

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Primal
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: None

3.0L D4d or 4.2L Cruiser or other for towing

Post by Primal »

Hi Everyone,

I could use your advise on which vehicle to go for. The vehicle will be used to tow a laden trailer from Cape Town to the bush in Zambia every year. It will spend six months of the year in the bush, working as a support vehicle for a mobile walking safari operation. For the six months back in Cape Town it will be a peronal vehicle.

It's daily work in the bush will be to tow a trailer offroad to the next camp site. As an estimate, the daily load of the trailer around the bush will probably be around a ton but could occasionally be up to two tons. The trailer coming up from Cape Town will typically be less than that, but on its first run, once off, it could be more than two tons (carrying everything from fridges to furniture).

Fuel consumption is important to me. Of the 3.0L d4d and the 4.2L LC pickup (and any others), which would give a better fuel consumption, laden with a trailer? I will be looking second hand and preferably below around R260 000. What vehicle would you choose for the above purpose, and why? Any other contenders?

Thank you !!!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: 3.0L D4d or 4.2L Cruiser or other for towing

Post by Hoppy »

For heavy towing and bush work daily, you can't beat the cruiser.
The D4D will be lighter on fuel, faster and nicer in town, but it won't tow a laden trailer everyday in the bush for long, not built for that.
If you buy a 2nd hand Cruiser, look for the older one with the bigger gearbox, not quite sure when they changed.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Outlaw
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Piet Retief
Vehicle: Hilux V8 Lexus 1995

Post by Outlaw »

Keep in mind fuel quality in the African countries and also "ease of fixing a problem". i will compromise power and fuel consumption and go for the cruizer for the reliability when in Zambia.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Or buy a Jap import in Zambia!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”