Kazungula border post into Zambia

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
DawieJ
Town: Carletonville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4.D

Kazungula border post into Zambia

Post by DawieJ »

Hi

We are traveling from Francistown to Livingston and I am not sure what is the best route to take and how much time to allocate for this leg of the trip.

I am thinking to eithercrossed the border from Botswana to Zambia at Kazungula.Has anyone used this crossing recently, I would like to know what is the costs and how long it might take.

Also thinking of going thru zim via the Pandamatenge border post.

Any sugestion?
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Re: Kazungula border post into Zambia

Post by cprinsloo »

DawieJ wrote:Hi

We are traveling from Francistown to Livingston and I am not sure what is the best route to take and how much time to allocate for this leg of the trip.

I am thinking to eithercrossed the border from Botswana to Zambia at Kazungula.Has anyone used this crossing recently, I would like to know what is the costs and how long it might take.

Also thinking of going thru zim via the Pandamatenge border post.

Any sugestion?
Hi Dawie,

We went through Kazungula in 2008, it was chaos. Big lorries waiting for the ferry, ques (sp?) everywhere, you have to use a runner that fleece you with the exchange rate etc. Have to buy 3rd party insurance at one office, pay carbon tax at another etc. Not a nice experience, don't know about current conditions. Entry fees and runner commission about R 800 - 900 IIRC.

In 2010 we crossed in Zim at Pandamatenga, very quiet, then you get a dirt road into Zim. At ten that morning we were the first to cross. We bought 3rd party insurance at the AA (but you have to specify the border crossing name), then you just pay carbon tax at the border.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Hi Dawie,

I have done the Kaz border dozens of times, this is roughly what to expect:

Third Party Insurance
Carbon Tak
Hello Tax
District Council Tax
Toll Fee/Ferry
And maybe other petty things included at the time

The thing is that apart from the Ferry all border posts will charge ou the same things so going elsewhere is really pointless.

Priceless tips:
1. Cars jump the que ahead of the trucks
2. Leave your car on the Botswana side and catch the first ferry departing for Zambia - it's free for pedestrians
3. Do all your paperwork on the Zambian side while someone left back at the car moves it forward in the que
4. You cannot get your passport stamped as all the people have to present themselves in person but you can do a hek of a lot of paperwork to save you the hassle the other end, Just ask at every counter what more paperwork you need to complete, eventually you will get most of it done.
5. Catch the ferry back to your vehicle

By then you will probably be in the front of the que so you can take a relaxed cruise over the Zambezi. Going the Zim way may be slightly easier but will cost you a lot more as the Zim guys also charge insurance, carbon tax and the like.

Don't forget to have red and white stickers, 2 x triangles, fire extingusher, first aid kit, reflective jacket. Be friendly to those in charge it takes you a Loooong way. Plus it makes you feel less stressed.

If you cannot handle Kazangula/Zambia border then go the other way round. You can also go to Kaz and check the que out and whether the ferries are broken or not and decide then what to do. You can from there go through the Kaz/Zim border to Vic Falls. Very nice road. Easy border if you don't mind doing 2 border posts in 1 hour.

To get into Zambia from any border in a light motor vehicle will cost you from about R1000.00 there is not cheap way to get ther by vehicle.

I hope this helps you.

Be brave! :frustrated:
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

The easiest in terms of queues/traffic will be Kazangula (Bots to Zim) then Vic Falls (Zim to Zambia) for sure. Also cheaper this way as you won't have to pay for the ferry.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

zepplin wrote:Also cheaper this way as you won't have to pay for the ferry.
But you will pay Zim Carbon tax and Insurance which may be even more expensive then the ferry. Also depending on what passports the group may be travelling on they may also have to buy visas for Zim for an 70km trip. Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
DawieJ
Town: Carletonville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4.D

Post by DawieJ »

Thanks for all the info.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Mountain Man wrote:
zepplin wrote:Also cheaper this way as you won't have to pay for the ferry.
But you will pay Zim Carbon tax and Insurance which may be even more expensive then the ferry. Also depending on what passports the group may be travelling on they may also have to buy visas for Zim for an 70km trip. Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.
Granted but I still prefer the Zim route, the Zambia side of the river there is an absolute goon show.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”