Malamoo tent & 4x4 Megaworld

And this is the part where we moan. If somebody rendered real bad service, weewee'd you off, caused you damage or cheated you (vehicle related), please please let us know by posting it here.
Forum rules
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this entire web site are of the poster only, and do not necessarily represent the views of http://www.Hilux4x4.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or it's members.

We do encourage our members to please make sure that they can proof the facts they post in the bad service section if they do comment on bad service. We also request our members to please do not get carried away when complaining about bad service. This is a public web site. We would like everybody to know when somebody delivered a bad service bad we do not want it to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:54 pm

If you thought that paying 2x the price of Campmaster buys quality, THINK AGAIN!!

Bought a Malamoo 3 seconds tent from Megaworld Zambesi beginning of October. Took it camping 2 weeks later, only to discover that the tent sort of hangs to the one side..and this was why:
20131102_144910.jpg
20131102_144910.jpg (169.23 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
To make it worse we had rain that night, and the weight of the water actually weighed the tent down to the point where opening closing the zip is a problem, and the inner outer layers made contact which made the tent wet on the inside :thumbdown:

As a result also couldn't get the tent folded up again....and then managed this:
20131102_144837.jpg
20131102_144837.jpg (160.61 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

So now I have a beanbag gone wrong:
20131102_144936.jpg
20131102_144936.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

So of course I took it back last Saturday, only to be told that it must got to their head office as they are only a franchise and their hands are tied (WTH????!!!)

Anyway, heard absolutely nothing the entire week, so today drove back there, upon which I was told that there is NO WARRANTY on Malamoo and that "it has been forced". Also there are no replacement CF rods for it, no parts whatsoever. Basically, that "sorry but you are on your own" message.

Well I guess from now on my money will also be tied up, I'd rather spend it at LA sport.

So in summary I paid R1250 fo sleeping in a wet tent; I could have bought Campmaster for half the price and if it was defective or broke on first use, Macro would have no quarrel swopping it for a new one on the spot.
Last edited by Stef on Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:59 pm

No Way Stef.Through the CPA at them.You paid a premium for a bad product.Hand tied my @#$
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:14 pm

I have the same problem with an Oz-tent gazebo. There is a manufacturing defect in the roof which leaks.
I have waited over 1 1/2 years now for a replacement. Still nothing.
T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 pm

What really annoys me is that a seemingly junior staff member was left to handle the matter. I feel that the owner should have been involved...franchise or not.

And if it was my business, I would have replaced the tent for the customer, and then fought the battle with head office without messing the customer around, and if need be, stopped selling the product if head office wouldn't budge.

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Get hold of Deon Venter, details from Megaworld web site. Please mention my name - correct name, not F_D. I'm sure he will assist you.

Or email him this thread's url.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks Eric :thumbup: will do if we don't come right with Megaworld HO next week, we got their number form the "franchise" :twisted:

Family_Dog
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Stef, Deon is the person to talk to. He is very pro good customer service and takes it very seriously.

F_D

Patiently tapped from my iPad using Tapatalk.

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Stefan, I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your malamoo. I bought one about 2 years ago and it is one of the best investments I have ever made. I have roof top tents, expensive 2.5m x2.5m canvas tents, gazebo's etc, and the malamoo is my favourite. I have travelled to Botswana, Kalahari and Namibia with it. Spent 3 weeks sleeping in it at a time on trips, and had not a moments problem. Been in some hectic rain, and the only thing that has ever bothered me has been the sound of rain and the wind blowing on the tent in bad wind in Namibia. Did I mention it even snowed one night in Beaufort west and I was as snug as a bug.... One of the biggest problems people have with it is folding it up once they have popped it out of the bag, but it is as easy to fold as those circular windscreen protectors. I pop it up in a second, throw a mattress duvet and pillow in it and have an awesome sleep for the night. A perfect tent for quick one night stops, which I can manage totally on my own. I don't even put any tent pegs in the ground. Think you must have just got one with a defect. I have even thought about getting the 3 man one because my double mattress is a bit squished in the 2 man one. I know that some less expensive copies have come out of the malamoo and have heard of people having problems with them, but if you bought the real deal then I can't see why 4x4 mega world won't change it for you if it was defective.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Val, I bought it for exactly the reasons you mentioned, and I also believed it is a dud....I was even open to just having it repaired, but with the response I got one can't help wondering... especially with that made in China label LOL. I also can't see why they wouldn't swop it, honestly,how does one break a CF rod like that?

If I broke the CF rod, by all means, I'd buy a new one and build a kite of the old one ;-)

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 pm

I am sure if you take it up with the right person at 4x4 mega they will resolve it for you. I would definitely contact that person that Eric recommends and I am sure they will sort it out. I have been a big fan of the malamoo, and recommended it to a number of people, especially those that do long trips with fully kitted vehicles, and 1 or 2 night stops in places, because it is perfect. I even risked sleeping in the little malamoo in areas with lions, ellies, hyena's etc around the camp.......must say I was a bit frightened of the possiblity of a lion eating me through the nylon, or an elephant stamping on me. Think the luminous green kept them away... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: If their quality has dropped then I certainly will not recommend it to anyone again.

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 pm

I also has a Malamoo for a few years, althought I used it once, maybe twice.

It is easy to use and takes very little packing space.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 am

in today's world quality is questionable, even mercedes's and toyota's break down, not much is not been made in china lately.
point is we rely on after sales service and willing to sometimes pay an additional premium through a respectable dealer with the thought in mind to have support in the future.

louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:29 am

Ek het 3 Malamoo's vir my kinders en is baie gelukkig met hulle.

Stef se probleem soos ek dit sien is kliënte diens eerder as die produk self, maar die handelaar veroorsaak dat die produk 'n slegte naam kry.

en

Probeer iets koop wat nie uit China kom nie......hulle vat oor:mad:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Polarbear2008
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:25 am

+1

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!

Polarbear2008

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 am

In terme van die CPA kan n verskaffer nie net sy skouers optrek en se "sorry" en wegloop met jou geld nie! Hy sal hom hard vasloop!

Daai dae is vir goed verby!

Selfs al sou daar geen waarborg wees nie, hoort die takbestuurder jou geld terug te gee, as n sign of good faith!

Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch

Polarbear2008

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:32 am

louis fourie wrote:Ek het 3 Malamoo's vir my kinders en is baie gelukkig met hulle.

Stef se probleem soos ek dit sien is kliënte diens eerder as die produk self, maar die handelaar veroorsaak dat die produk 'n slegte naam kry.

en

Probeer iets koop wat nie uit China kom nie......hulle vat oor:mad:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Louis, China is nie "all bad" nie, dis soos die Hong Kong van ouds. Mens kry maar die odd ones wat baie swak is, maar oor die algemeen is ouense soos Malamoo se tente nie sleg nie.

Wat die tent self betref, watter deel is dit wat gebreek het? Ek weet ODW verkoop tent repair kits, wat die soort pale insluit. Sover ek weet, kan mens ook die pale in verskillende lengtes los koop - probeer van die karavaan winkels. Mens hoort die tent te kan red as jy nie andersins reg kom nie.
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch

dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Game verkoop ook repair kits met veskillende dikte paaltjies.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Die probleem met die CF rods in die repair kits is dat dit die kort stokkies is wat in mekaar druk. Die malamoo s'n is en lang aan mekaar stuk met die punte aan mekaar vas sodat mens hom kan twist ens met die opvou, nie seker of die gewone pale so sal kan twist met al die laste in nie...

Sal maar gaan navors, miskien is daar 'n fabriek, depot of so waar mens lang lengtes kan koop/bestel. Tent self makeer niks.

warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Eish- dis nie noodwendig altyd die produk nie, dis die after-sale service wat tel.

Ek't ook twee van daai "woep" tente- gekoop by Outdoor Wharehouse. 1ste keer wat ons gaan kamp het, het ek die een gebreek toe ons opslaan- niemand anders se skuld nie- ek was net onnosel, en ek het hom gebreek- Hy't ook gelyk soos 'n "doughnut gone wrong" toe ek hom terug het in sy sak.

Dinsdag teruggevat OW toe, mooi verduidelik en ekskuus gevra- HULLE het hom VIR MY reggemaak - VIR MAHALA- net daar in die winkel, en weer gedemonstreer hoe om hom op te slaan- en toe aangedring, voor al die mense in die winkel - dat ek hom self ook opslaan- (Nou adverteer my kinders al my dienste waar ons kom).

AWESOME diens... ... Gaan donner daai waar jy gekoop het op- jy het die Consumer Protection Act aan jou kant- hulle moet regmaak en basta.
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 am

More Stef,

Was daai Tent so geknak van die begin af? As dit so is dan sal ek se Zambezi moet verder gaan en die tent omruil.

As dit so was sal die tent breek as jy weer opvou. Een ding wel maak seker dat mens die opvou instruksies volg om dit op te slaan. Dis omtrent al wanneer hulle breek.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 pm

4x4megaworldpta wrote:More Stef,

Was daai Tent so geknak van die begin af? As dit so is dan sal ek se Zambezi moet verder gaan en die tent omruil.

As dit so was sal die tent breek as jy weer opvou. Een ding wel maak seker dat mens die opvou instruksies volg om dit op te slaan. Dis omtrent al wanneer hulle breek.
Louis, ja die CF rod was af. Eers agter gekom toe ek die tent opslaan by kamp. Kon die punt in die sleeve sien beweeg.Moes in die winkel gekyk het, maar mens verwag mos nie dat daar probleme sal wees met die omruil nie. Natuurlik kan ek dit ook nie bewys nie. Volgens Zambesi wil hoofkantoor dit nie omruil nie.

Die metaal lasstuk het ek gebreek toe ek hom wou opvou. Die breuk op die CF rod lyk ook nie soos n vars splinter nie, eerder soos 'n swak plek wat finaal afgebreek het.

Die tente is eintlik maklik om op te vou, mens moet rerig hard forseer om die CF rod so mors af te breek...

Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D 4X4 DC, lr

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:31 am

Die tente is sterk en kan redelik baie voue en knakke hanteer.My gevoel is dat die CF rod n swak plek gehad het en dat jy die ongelukkige ou was wat die dat gekry het.

Mega World verloor meer meer met die tread as om die probleem op te los.Die 4x4 Winkels maak goeie besigheid en mens gaan graag jou geld daar spandeer.Dan ook koop jy die beste teen premium pryse om net so n diens te kry..ONAANVAARBAAR

Stef my trailer tent is al 3 keer om geruil en ek wag nou vir my nuwe een,pruduk was nie reg nie,ruil om,klaar.My gled was goed genoeg toe ek dit kom spandeer by die winkel.Ek sal weer besigheid met so instansie doen.

Moet nie die saak daar laat nie.Ek sal dit gaan opneem met oom Hannes as ek jy is.

Hou ons op hoogte.Ek het jou aanbeveel om die maak te koop.Ek het n Makro brand en hy werk 100%,wil graag opgradeer na n Malamoo,nou wonder ek.

Goeie produk,was verkoop diens,maak ook n produk swak.

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Stef,

Wel gaan sien Hannes, ek glo hy is 'n redelike persoon en kan dit oplos. Gaan elke keer 'n trappie op, nie stop by die verkoopspersoon. Dis soos jy se, dis jammer om nie dit te kon nagaan maar mens het nie altyd die tyd. :(

Die Melomo tente is rerig goed Marius, Stef is ongelukkig die een wat dit sou oorkom.

Dan, Stef. Ek dink as hulle nie help sal daar 'n tipe metal sleeve kan wees wat mens kan gebruik om daai weer reg te maak as dit kom daarop. MAAR altyd, gaan terug na Hannes en praat met hom, meeste keer werk dit.

pietdevs
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:12 am

As jy nie regkom nie stel ek voor jy stel 4x4 MW skriftelik in kennis dat jy jou saak stel op die forum en doen 'n beroep op die forum om hulle te boikot tot jy diens kry... Hulle vat ons geld gou genoeg - ons verwag diens!

Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2000 Raider 2700i 4x4 Double cab. met "rock sliders" en Powerflo stainless exhaust
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 am

Soos genome was, CPA hulle. as jy hulp soek praat maar met my broer. Hy is nou wel in die Kaap maar is so nou en dan daar bo in julle kontrei

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Good news...

E-mailed Megaworld HQ last night seeking the contact details of the gent Eric suggested, making no mention of this thread or anything.

Shortly after 9 this morning Kurt phoned me and after briefly explaining the problem to him he, without hesitation, offered to swop it out for me. :thumbup: :thumbup:

How's that for GOOD service!!!

Well done Kurt, I really do appreciate it :thumbup:

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Well done.Glad it got sorted :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Glad to hear it is sorted.... am sure you going to be happy with it.... As I said I really love my little one and had no problems with it...

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I hope so! I actually want to pay in and upgrade to the 3 man version...

Toerboer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 3.0 D4D 4X4 DC, lr

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Baie bly om te hoor jy het sukses gehad met Kurt en MW in geheel.

Op die oueinde koop mense by mense en een onervare verkoopspersoon kan n groot negatiewe uitwerking he.

Nou kan ons weer ons moelas gaan spandeer by Mw :thumbup:

GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Stef wrote:I hope so! I actually want to pay in and upgrade to the 3 man version...
That is my only gripe I should have bought the 3 man one, because it has net on both sides and the air goes through it, not like the 2 man, and in summer it gets pretty warm in the tent....

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Toerboer wrote:Baie bly om te hoor jy het sukses gehad met Kurt en MW in geheel.

Op die oueinde koop mense by mense en een onervare verkoopspersoon kan n groot negatiewe uitwerking he.

Nou kan ons weer ons moelas gaan spandeer by Mw :thumbup:
Net so toer broer...smaak my ons moet maar by die Ooste of Suide draai..

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 am

Wat het ek gese van elke keer 'n trappie op? ;-) :thumbup:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 am

Glad to read/hear it's sorted Stef... did Kurt at least ask who gave you such bad service... so that the sales rep involved can get a swift kick up the... ??

Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi Stef

As Ek jy is betaal Ek so bietjie in en kry vir jou die Malamoo 3. Ek het die Malamoo 2 by ons Megaworld hier in Nelspruit getoets vir so paar naweke en moet sê, vir n' lnag man soos ek is hy bietjie knap.

Ek het na die toets 2 x Malamoo 3's gekoop en dit was 3 jaar terug. Is baie gelukkig met hulle. My twee seuns slaap in hulle, en daar is genoeg plek vir hulle matrasse en elkeen se krat met al sy klere en tydeverdryf... :lol: :lol:

Die Malamoo 3 is vir my die regte grootte en hy het genoeg ventilasie as dit begin warm word. Die 2 het nie baie ventilasie. As daai venster aan die verste kant toe is dan word hy lekker warm.

Ek is bly jy kon regkom by Megaworld. MegaWorld hier in Nelspruit het my nog net goeie diens gegee, en altyd gehelp as ek probleme het. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
EX ALTO VINCIMUS

Return to “Bad Service”

• Information