Best SFA tyres for Mileage and Sand?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Citrusdal
Vehicle: 84 SFA Hilux

Best SFA tyres for Mileage and Sand?

Post by IndianaJones7746 »

Hi

Which affordable 245/70R15 A/T tyres would you recommend on a SFA Hilux for both giving good mileage and handle low-pressure sand driving?

GoodYear Wranglers? Dunlop Trakgrip? Conti CrossContact?

Thank you
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Re: Best SFA tyres for Mileage and Sand?

Post by Genissie »

coopers
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Cooper ST?
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Genissie »

sorry, i should've been more specific.
If only sand, mainly road driving which I assume due to your mileage driving and sand, I would say the Cooper AT, the Stmaxx is more offroad, less quiet on the road.
use these links:

http://www.coopertyres.co.za/ProductCategory/1/4x4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and click on each to get the specs

http://www.productreview.com.au/c/4wd-t ... tyres.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
reviews

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Tire-Com ... ight-Truck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
comparisons

i currently have 15" At's but switching to 16" STmaxx
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Stay FAR away from the Wranglers if you want good mileage.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There's a lot of guys that will swear by the old Firestone ATX ..... relatively cheap at almost ½ the price of BFG, supposedly give very good mileage and have a slightly wider tread because of the 'squared off' shoulders. Also fairly quiet on the road.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

Mud Dog wrote:There's a lot of guys that will swear by the old Firestone ATX ..... relatively cheap at almost ½ the price of BFG, supposedly give very good mileage and have a slightly wider tread because of the 'squared off' shoulders. Also fairly quiet on the road.
Do they still make the ATX.... I thought the Destination took over from the ATX :think:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks for the responses guys.

It would be great if some of the commercial members could also give a few suggestions.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

MOFASA wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:There's a lot of guys that will swear by the old Firestone ATX ..... relatively cheap at almost ½ the price of BFG, supposedly give very good mileage and have a slightly wider tread because of the 'squared off' shoulders. Also fairly quiet on the road.
Do they still make the ATX.... I thought the Destination took over from the ATX :think:
Can't say one way or the other for sure since I've had no reason to enquire about them for a while, but if this link is anything to go by, they are still available. The ad is copy-right to Bridgestone in 2011 but would surely have been amended if there was any substitution ... even more so with high profile companies like Bridgestone and SupaQuick. The recent "Pink Drive" is also featured. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
IndianaJones7746
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

ATX's are still available, Eloise from Mufasa Tyres quoted me on a set 0f 245/75R15's just yesterday.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

ATX's have no side sipes and does not disperse water properly. On a wet road, this tyre is prone to hydroplaning. Look at the tread patern, the ribs on the side is solid all around the circumference of the tyre..... Fantastic tyres for dry weather driving.. in the Sahara.. or Dubai.. where it doesnt rain.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Genissie »

ThysdJ wrote:ATX's have no side sipes and does not disperse water properly. On a wet road, this tyre is prone to hydroplaning. Look at the tread patern, the ribs on the side is solid all around the circumference of the tyre..... Fantastic tyres for dry weather driving.. in the Sahara.. or Dubai.. where it doesnt rain.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

if i am not mistaken, the 31/ type sizes and up are open on the sides, but not putting money on my statement.
use to drive them 14" atx's for 6 years, 14000km / month, lots of dirt road, amazing with loads and stones, doesn't bubble much on deflating but not bad on sand, and yes, terrible on wet roads, and not even close to self-cleaning in mud.
I just think time moved on and there surely are better and more competitive tyres on the market.
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Post by Velo son »

When we bought the echo trailer it came with 3 ATX tyres (2 fitted and 1 for a spare). The Hilux was on Dueler A/T's but they were due to be replaced. Since a trailer do not cause any noticeable wear on a tyre it only gets old and perished on a trailer. We then bought another Firestone ATX and placed the Hilux on them. The 3 best Duelers were fitted to the trailer.

Yes, the ATX is not good in very wet conditions, but they are not bad on a moderately wet road. You might only get a problem when there is puddles or streams on the road and you cross them at a relatively high speed.
Yes, the ATX is giving quite good milage.
Yes, the ATX becomes a slick very quickly in mud.
Yes, the ATX performs well in sand.

I expected the tyres to get chunked when we did the Serendipity eco trail (rocky terrain), but they actually did very well.

Thus, if you are primarily driving tar and sand, I would reccomend them. Also not as expensive as other tyres.

When we fitted them in 2011 it was already difficult to get hold of another ATX in Pretoria, but Supa-quick Centurion helped us to find and fit them.
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”