2.8D with 4.875 ratio and ome springs

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

2.8D with 4.875 ratio and ome springs

Post by Tarquin »

I would just like to say many thanks to the A-Team(Andrew, Allan and Andy) for all the advise, technical support and tips that you've provided throughout mods :thumbup: :thumbup: . the 2.8D with 4.875:1 and 31's is a awesome combination :celebrate: :celebrate:
i'm also extremely happy with my OME front springs, they are way more comfortable and flexible :aggresive:
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: 2.8D with 4.875 ratio and ome springs

Post by Tarquin »

A pic of the articulation
Attachments
IMAG0760-1-1-1.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The Gabriel Safari shocks aren't bad either .... might not last as long as the OME Nitrochargers, but they're a hell of a lot cheaper. Glad you're getting sorted! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Tarquin »

more that 1/4 of the price :clap:, have gabriels on our 2.4D and they've already done 5 years of bad gravel roads, i'm very happy with them :thumbup: :thumbup:!
with every upgrade there seems to be a downgrade as well. i now have a 4 speed sfa my 5th has also just disappeared :frustrated: i'm very interested to see where it went once i've open the box. will definitely post some pics cause it seems to be a common thing.
my water pump has also started making a bit of noise, water must have gotin into the bearing when i got stuck in the dam :blackeye:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Glad to see all the progress! I was thinking about a WL2.5d conversion, then wondered about the diff ratios being to high (4.88 on the petrol models). I see you have 4.88's on your diesel?
I 'm interested in your 5th gear repair. Have had no problems so far, but you never know, so post lots of pics!
Good luck
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Tarquin »

so my gearbox came out and onto the operating table, this is what i found as to why i lost my 5th gear
IMG_3873.JPG
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
IMG_3874.JPG
(95.78 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
IMG_3875.JPG
(71.29 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
what happened is the clip retaining my 5th gear broke, almost unbelievable, because its a 3.2mm clip.
toyota quoted me R 40 for it so i'm very happy :yahoo:
i've also never been so happy to have a water pump pack up, because look what i found when changing it
IMG_3877.JPG
(103.74 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
:laugh2: :laugh2:
i was very lucky
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks like you got off lightly!! :D: :thumbup:

The 5th gear is just as Tony said .... the cir-clip / retaining clip. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Wow.I am happy to see you had the same problem I that had with the gearbox . I was also very puzzled when my gearbox problem occured as I was travelling down hill without any load ,when suddenly the lux revved up.I was certain at the time that the problem could not be a brocken gear as the gearbox was running very smoothly even after the 5th gear dissapeared. :yahoo: :thumbup:
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Glad it looks like a cheap fix! Would be interesting to understand why the circlip fails.

Here's a nice repair manual, assuming you have a G52 gearbox
http://www.moranbahweather.com/toyota/l ... 1_0001.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Tarquin »

thanks Andrew :thumbup:
it has me puzzled, there must be some excessive force there.
will be interested to see how long the new clip will last :think:
i wonder i someone has found a better was of holding the 5th gear or relieving the force from the clip :think:
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Tarquin I also wondered what caused the clip to break.I chatted to a mate of mine who is a very competent mechanic from the old school and is a wizard on boxes and diffs.He stipulates that the sirclips should always be REPLACED everytime they are removed for carrying out repairs, as the clips are factory tensioned and set.The clips bend out of shape whilst REMOVING the clips.

My gearbox previously had the bearings replaced and I'm sure that the original clip was re-installed again.I am sure this was the cause,not sure if your gearbox was also opened before ?

Return to “Open Discussion”