Power Steering questions.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
hzadbhat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: margaret river
Vehicle: 4runner 1985

Power Steering questions.

Post by hzadbhat »

Hi all,
I've got a question. I've got power steering on an ln60 that is never going to run again. My mate has no power steering, but his steer box isn't power.
Mine is an ssr surf 1986 and he has a hilux dual cab 1986 without torsion suspension so his steer box linkage goes towards the front drivers wheel and mine goes straight down.
At the back of the box on both is 4 bolts. mine attatch the section where the power steering lines go in and his is just a cover plate.
Now for the question.
Can we swap out just this back section (as well as the steering rod) and convert his steering to power, or is he up for a new steering box?
The reservoir, mounts, pipes and pump for mine are all in excellent condition.
I'd rather do a swap as a new steering box for his model will need new pipes and will cost a mint.
Thanks for your advice.
hzadbhat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Re: Power Steering questions.

Post by hzadbhat »

forgot to mention, his is an ln106.
cheers
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Brandon. Don't think it will work as a straight swap. His is a "push - pull" steering with a "J" arm while yours is side to side. What he could do is to convert to cross-over steering, then your box will work on his vehicle. Cross-over is actually better because it limits 'bump-steer' as well as eliminates the need for a torque rod which in turn limits articulation. Cross over steering can be done as either 'Hi steer' (tie-rod above the leaf packs) or 'Low steer' with the tie-rod below the leaf packs. Hi steer is probably better IRO the tie-rod being higher and less likely to get damaged in rocky terrain.

There are numerous threads here on the forum than cover these issues, just search "Cross over steering"

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hzadbhat
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by hzadbhat »

appreciate your input mud dog.
i didn't think it would, but there's no harm in asking.
We're just goint to get a new steering box as we already have the pump, pipes and reservoir.
dustbuster
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Rebuilding 91 D/C Hilux Mboza Body, OME 4Y EFI, & 91 S/C 4Y Hilux

Post by dustbuster »

Andy does the cross over steering affect the handling at all?, I have a pump and reservoir and piping left from my DC rebuild as I put the 2.5 td engine but don't have a PS box if I use the box from the IFS as the SFA ones are over priced.

would like to put PS in my S/C hilux with these left over parts

what are the cons of this cross over steering?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

No Dean, it doesn't affect the handling negatively, if anything, I would imagine that the steering would be more positive. There are a few guys that have done it because the old SFA steering boxes are so scarce and pricey, and then there are the SAS guys that already have the IFS boxes before the conversion that go the more practical route of X-over. (Speak to Piet "Bushwacker" here on the forum).

There are no cons that I am aware of .... if you have done a motor conversion and you opt for 'Hi-steer' just make sure that there is articulation clearance for the tie-rod at the sump (standard motor / sump won't have a hassle).

Have a look back at some of the threads that deal with it, it's the way to go if you have SFA steering box problems. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”