KZ-TE Power

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
daneduplooy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: '98 Prado 3.0TD

KZ-TE Power

Post by daneduplooy »

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if our KZ-TE is perhaps not producing as much power as it should. Top-speed (on an official raceway, of course), with a level road, is about 140-150 (bearing in mind that this is with a Prado and not a Hilux). Is there anybody else with a KZ-TE who is able to compare?

I drove the same type of vehicle with the same engine about 10 years ago and remember it being more nippy and stronger at idle, but 10 years is obviously a while back and it's difficult to be sure... Our engine is old and things like injectors, turbo and fuel-pump could be looked at, but I don't want to go swapping parts out and "fixing what isn't broken" unnecessarily. The engine otherwise runs fine since we replaced the cylinder head (besides for that there seems to be a bit of a turbo oil leak).

Thanks! :thumbup:
Dane
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: KZ-TE Power

Post by Thabogrobler »

Dane,

Have the silencer taken out and a freeflow box fitted - it will not make a noise but you should have better power and it aids in lowering the EGT's which causes head failures.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Thabogrobler wrote:Dane,

Have the silencer taken out and a freeflow box fitted - it will not make a noise but you should have better power and it aids in lowering the EGT's which causes head failures.
I must do this on mine.I had new injectors fitted.They told me you dont need to calibrate the pump.Apparently because it is electric the ECU does it.Is that true or do you need to get it calibrated.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Dane, does your car have an intercooler?

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
daneduplooy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by daneduplooy »

Hi Thabo & George

Thanks for the advice! :thumbup: Now that you mention the exhaust system, I remember that we had a problem with lack of power on a 2.8l BMW (petrol) and removing the catalytic converter (clogged I assume) solved the problem. The BMW is a '95, so this being a '98 I assume it would also have a cat', which is probably clogged by now.

Thabo, the engine is stock (besides for the new cylinder head) with no intercooler.
daneduplooy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by daneduplooy »

george wrote:They told me you dont need to calibrate the pump.Apparently because it is electric the ECU does it.Is that true or do you need to get it calibrated.
George, I am most certainly not an expert, but if the injectors were new then I can't see that they would need any further calibration. So far as the fuel pump is concerned, all I have ever heard of / seen in the manual is the "correction resistors" and timing adjustment (there is a mark that the fuel-pump must be rotated to align with - shouldn't be necessary unless you've removed the fuel pump). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment.

Did you notice any significant improvement after replacing the injectors?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Did you notice any significant improvement after replacing the injectors?
Funny enough I did not really feel a huge improvement.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
SKRIK NIKS
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: hilux 3.0kzte

Post by SKRIK NIKS »

I went the free flow way with the intercooler ,i have also replaced the electronic diesel pump with a machanical one ,and that has make a hudge deffrence
ImageImageImage
SKRIK NIKS
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Jan, if you noticed an improvement with a mechanical pump, the electronic pump war properly stuffed!

SKRIK NIKS
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SKRIK NIKS »

Hi thabo ,i think it just because that there is more manaul stting to inprove power on the machanical pump then on the electrical pump
ImageImageImage
SKRIK NIKS
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

SKRIK NIKS wrote:Hi thabo ,i think it just because that there is more manaul stting to inprove power on the machanical pump then on the electrical pump
Hi Jan.What pump did you use.The one from the colt?
SKRIK NIKS
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SKRIK NIKS »

No the one from the 3000d turbo hilux
ImageImageImage
SKRIK NIKS
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Nee Jan, daar is geen manier dat 'n meganiese pomp beter kan wees as 'n goed werkende elektroniese pomp nie!

SKRIK NIKS
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by SKRIK NIKS »

Thabo ek gaan nie met jou stry nie ,ek het die krak virskil ervaar
ImageImageImage
SKRIK NIKS
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hoppy het ook 'n mechanical en sy bakkie loop dat hy bars.Maar dis nou Hoppy ;-)
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

I am prepairing my kzte for my SFA I did start it last weekend and sounds great but will only know once in.
As to manual pumps I used to play with my KB 280 pump and it could really run.Maybe even better than the KB 300(electronic pump).
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

The pump of the 2.8 Colt works apparently
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Thinking about it, a standard KZ produces around 80Kw - not really much, hey?

Propelling a overweight, underpowered brick forward, 80Kw should not get you very far beyond 150km/h in any case...

daneduplooy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by daneduplooy »

george wrote:Funny enough I did not really feel a huge improvement.
Thanks for the info George. I'm sorry that you didn't receive any huge power gain, but the information is useful.
SKRIK NIKS wrote:I went the free flow way with the intercooler ,i have also replaced the electronic diesel pump with a machanical one ,and that has make a huge difference
Hi Jan, thanks for the feedback. Sorry if this is a silly question, but did you do all at the same time - i.e. was the power gain definitely due to the pump replacement?
Thabogrobler wrote:Thinking about it, a standard KZ produces around 80Kw - not really much, hey?

Propelling a overweight, underpowered brick forward, 80Kw should not get you very far beyond 150km/h in any case...
:lol: Probably true :D:. I'll be sure to put that in the listing if we ever have the heart to try and sell our baby - "For Sale: Overweight, underpowered brick." :D:
When I drove the same type of vehicle previously, I'm pretty sure that I remember two things distinctly:
- Doing 160 (and I think that there was still some oomf left)
- Idling up a steep driveway, with foot off the accelerator
This was at the coast however.
I'm fairly sure that the cat' is blocked - I plan to have it checked out early next week, and will report back if I learn anything useful :smile: .

I wonder why replacing the pump seems to help so much - i.e. what goes wrong with the old pump. Does anybody know what the guys do when they recon a pump? All that I can see in the engine repair manual is that it discusses disassembling the pump and checking the delivery valves.

Follow Up (03/02/2014):
Went to the local tyres/shocks/exhaust place today. They couldn't take a look at the cat' because the exhaust guy wasn't there, due to the taxi strikes. Whilst there, I did however manage to witness their staff driving another clients vehicle around with the handbrake very obviously on (the driver had to rev and clutch a lot to get the vehicle to go anywhere, and it was squealing horribly) as well as crash someone else's vehicle into one of the ramps... Our car has to go in for panelbeating tomorrow in order to remove a dent - will take it somewhere else to have the cat' checked as soon as it's available again.

Follow Up (14/02/2014):
Took the car to a (different) exhaust place today. Turns out that the car doesn't have a cat' in the first place :).
daneduplooy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by daneduplooy »

So we eventually took the vehicle in to Northern Diesel to get the injectors and pump checked. They were very quick (took less than a week) and called at each stage to let us know what was happening. There is a noticeable difference in power after getting that done, especially above 2,000 RPM when the turbo starts kicking in nicely. We haven't had a chance to check absolute top-end speed yet, but got to just under 160km/h the other day, with power still left.

Besides for the performance improvement, it also "looks" (externally) like Northern Diesel did a nice job - everything they worked on is nice and clean, with the little yellow dots on all the bolts (if that makes sense). They also replaced all the glow plugs, and the total for the job came to R10,600 including the labour for removing and refitting pump/injectors.

Haven't driven enough yet to see how fuel consumption has been affected.

:smile:
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Northern Diesel was the only place that could fix my truck after I broke it :oops: 5 years ago. The places includes Toyota (I won't mention that it was Menlyn :o) who refered me to a back yard mechanic which wanted to replace the turbo, recon'ed the motor and, and, and. After 170 000km (now standing at 330 000km) my truck is still running strong with the same turbo and the same motor.

Also got my recon'ed injectors back on Thursday (R2144) from Northern Diesel. Did not think that injectors makes such a big difference in power.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”