suspension height mods

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

suspension height mods

Post by sasafaris »

Guys,
I mentioned in previous postings that I had been having endless problems with punctures, mostly sidewall with the new Cooper Tyres I had fitted. Long story short, Cooper advised that I had been recommended the incorrect tyre for my application, and gave me a substantial discount to change and correct the problem. I am impressed by their after sales. Also, having just got back from a safari in Moz, I can happily report that I did not have any punctures.
However, the tyres they supplied and recommended are the Discoverer ST Max. 31x10.50R15LT M+S which have a slightly bigger rolling radius than the old tyres. So they do touch the front wheel arches at the back when turning and also under suspension roll. Hence, I want to raise the body slightly, not just for the tyres, but some of the terrain I traverse a couple of inches higher clearance would be great.
Any suggestions that will not rape my bank book?
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Re: suspension height mods

Post by dantjie »

I think the cheaper option will be the ball joint spacers and longer rear shackles at the leaf springs at the rear. visit this page as you might be familiar with it 4X4 DIRECT.co.za :thumbup:
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Agree with Dantjie.. A body lift will not give you added ground clearance, but suspension lift will. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:Agree with Dantjie.. A body lift will not give you added ground clearance, but suspension lift will. :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Why don't you just adjust your front Torsion bars up with 20mm?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Why don't you just adjust your front Torsion bars up with 20mm?
Cheaper and easier option - will raise the ride height, but it doesn't alter the depth of travel ... it will still touch while flexing, maybe just a little less regularly. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by sasafaris »

Aahh heck, I have bitten the bullet and am putting an EFS full suspension kit and a snorkel. I figure after 460 000km I can give the old girl a lift in life :wink2:
thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by sasafaris »

Happiness! :yahoo:
New EFS full suspension, Front-Runner roof rack and snorkel fitted.
The ride feel is great, makes me realize how tired my old original suspension was. Average increase in body height 55mm.
The acid test will be in a couple of weeks time when I am back up on our hunting area in Mozambique.
Work was done by Travis at Rugged Africa, Hillcrest KZN. A nice lad to deal with. :thumbup:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”