Sony vs Vigo, Vigo won

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Sony vs Vigo, Vigo won

Post by Donkey »

So Sebata asked i help instal a Sony double din radio, so yesterday we got on with it. First thing was the Sony was bigger thjan the OE radio. So a bit of cutting was needed, this being the most attention needed task. Before original plugs were cut, i tested the wires, identifying supply and speaker wires, respectively. Then cut, soldered and insuleted the wiring. Radio worked perfectly and with all speakers corresponding too wrt balance/fade positions. There is a orange wire labelled ilumanation, which i connected to the park lights.

When it was time to go, he started the truck and immediately blowing the park light fuse. What did i do wrong? And also when the engine runs the radio switches off. As is the parking brake wire is not connected, could this be the reason why?

Will appreciate any help from you guys especially for someone who did this installation. Eventually retraced/rechecked connections, fiding no shorts. Eventually illumination wire was cut, still with no solution in sight.

Please help.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Sebata
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Re: Sony vs Vigo, Vigo won

Post by Sebata »

i did some readings, it happens that the parking brake wire is the security feature for videos not to play while the car is in motion but this can be bypassed using a relay.

issue is still the Illumination wire plus why the radio shuts off once the engine is running :?: :?: :?:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Hi Tau you guys are causing a dead short. on my sony xploid dvd player i have a wire that says park brake, it is light blue with a black stripe. i have connected the wire to the earth. I'm sure that in your case the same apply. hope you come right. :thumbup:
One life, one dream, one toyota
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Tau.... to you perhaps have the model number of the unit you purchased?
To God be the glory
Sebata
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds

Post by Sebata »

CasKru wrote:Tau.... to you perhaps have the model number of the unit you purchased?
hi Cas, its Sony XAV 64-BT
Tau Sello
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

@ Nico, i did check the wiring, no dead shorts found.
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

The parking brake line does not seem to have to be connected. You can connected it to the reverse lamp if you have a reverse camera connected to the unit. This will then switch the view to the video feed when you put it in reverse.

The Illumination also does not seem to have to be connected. When you connect it though, make sure the black earth wire is grounded
To God be the glory
Sebata

Post by Sebata »

CasKru wrote:The parking brake line does not seem to have to be connected. You can connected it to the reverse lamp if you have a reverse camera connected to the unit. This will then switch the view to the video feed when you put it in reverse.

The Illumination also does not seem to have to be connected. When you connect it though, make sure the black earth wire is grounded
got that but now the main problem is that the radio does not play when the engine is running :shock: , soon as i switch the engine off, it comes ON again :shock:
Tau Sello
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

All I can think of is the IGN wire (red) you used to sense ACC on the ignition, drops away after you started the vehicle. It's either this or the supply (yellow) looses power after you started. Also maybe check the earth wire is still a dead short to the chassis after you started the vehicle.
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Maybe look for another ACC wire.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

That brake wire must NOT be connected to the lights... it is an earth wire. Connect it to the chassis. That disengages the dvd view when handbrake is lowered. Illuminating needs to be connected to the park lights. Toyota have that wire. That turns on the radio keys lights and dims the screen when lights are turned on.

If you want you can bring it around tonight and I will sort it out for you quickly. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Mr T check your PM ....
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Replied Chris. Thanks for the input guys. Plan of action now is to ground the black earth wire and give feedback.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

you can even earth that wire against the casing of the radio itself.
thats how mine is done
Real drivers use three pedals
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

:thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Die$eL wrote:you can even earth that wire against the casing of the radio itself.
thats how mine is done
Not too sure this would be wise as they are already battling with an earthing / power issue. Could be that the casing itself is not earthed
To God be the glory
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Casing is not earthed, Cass
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “The Workshop”