Gonarezhou National Park - Zim

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Gonarezhou National Park - Zim

Post by Dingo »

Morning all the peoples

Has anyone done a trip to Gonarezhou National Park in Zimbabwe??

We looking at planning a trip for the end of Sept 2015, but we have never been there and have no idea of what to expect or where to begin planning.

Idea is:
- travel up thru Kruger ( 2 days)
- Camp in Gonarezhou at 1 or 2 campsites (3-4 days)
- travel back thru Kruger ( 2 days ) or alternatively spend an extra day in Gonarezhou and come back to JHB via the tar road ( 1 day travelling)
- I believe that the Northern part of the reserve is awesome and a must to visit.

I would appreciate it if anyone has done a trip up there and would like to share their route / campsites/ contact details/ etc / etc.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Re: Gonarezhou National Park - Zim

Post by subok »

Browse the trip report sections on the hilux and 4x4community forums. Lots of info there!
Here is a link to mine:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... p?t=118696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

WOW Kobus, just read the report and that was awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

Awesome stuff Kobus, you've now made me even more determined to go.

I will most definitely be call upon you for further info - if you don't mind.

Thank you.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Went to Gonarezhou a couple of years ago. US Dollars is the currency (sorry, this is just if you were not aware of that).. There are a number of tariffs for camping, vehicle, entry, etc fees. Some camps have toilet, bathroom facilities, and designated camping sites, and others not. Wild camps are somewhat designated, but the supposed long drops and facilities, were broken down or non functional. Interestingly enough found that the wild camps were more expensive than the ones with facilities. They were doing some upgrades at a camp or two when I was there. A beautiful area, but saw very little animals. Hippo's, lots of crocs, some antelope, (not many) Ellies were very nervous, and moved away quickly into the bush when we approached even from a long distance away. Lots of crocs in the river, so if you are going to the wild camps be sure to carry your own water as collecting water can be tricky. We went in June/July. The roads are not maintained or anything, and some of them are quite damaged from erosion and elephant tracks, and the more remote areas it is quite difficult to determine where the road is, and sometimes quite over grown. Quite a number of river crossings, but it was relatively dry when we where there, so the water wasn't too deep and, some crossings were a bit muddy, but nothing to tough...

Enjoy the trip....
Derek S. Wane
Town: Blokkloof
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D-4D

Post by Derek S. Wane »

We visited and stayed at "Chipinda Pools" & "Chilojo Cliffs" camps for about 15 Days in November 2011, we traveled alone and took the wild route through Pafuri Gate in the northern Kruger into Moz.
We had no problems whatsoever and enjoyed every minute, if we can assist you in any way please contact us and we will dig out our trip file for you.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”