Spitronics fitment to a Lexus v8

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Spitronics fitment to a Lexus v8

Post by Toybox »

As mentioned in one of the other threads I recently fitted a Spitronics EMU and gearbox controller to my v8, and figured I’d post a short article to chronicle the install, and any problems I have now and in the future.

Let me start by saying this I have no intention of brand bashing, this is just my experience thus far. I chose to go with the Spitronics as it’s a system I understand, easily DIY and Peet has always provided excellent service.

The engine bay prior to the conversion....

First step to the installation was getting rid of the old Mr Turbo setup; this took quite a bit of work and as I’d never worked on a Lexus engine before I was pretty nervous. I started by removing all the little covers and worked my way up to the throttle body. So far so good.

Thottle body stripped off and realy for rewiring...

I opened the wrapped loom and cut out the injector harness, crank sensor and coil inputs. Then things got more interesting. I removed the cubby, passenger kicker panel, and centre portion of the dash. I disconnected the old EMU, gearbox controller and ignition controller and pulled the loom through the firewall. Cut anything holding it back and threw it away.

I did hit a snag when I removed the plug to the gearbox solenoids to find that it had become so brittle that it literally disintegrated when I removed it. SO I ended up removing the gearbox sump to get to the rest of the wiring and discovered that one of the 6 pins had broken off making it impossible to attach the new loom. Thankfully Peet managed to find me a replacement loom in Pretoria, and a day or two later the replacement was installed new gearbox harness soldered on (I couldn’t find an original 6 pin plug to fit) and sump refitted.

The loom inside the gearbox

Then to the engine loom. The new loom was pulled through the firewall and cut to the necessary lengths. I soldered Peet’s injector harness onto the injector plugs and ran the necessary power cables via relays to the coils and injectors. The inputs from the EMU to the water temperature sensor, air temperature sensor, coils and harness were soldered and connected.

Something new to me was the installation of the speed sensor on the rear prop shaft. The sensor was removed from the front of the gearbox and I believe was originally meant to be used by the OEM EMU as a secondary rev counter of sorts. Anyways the little mag sensor was removed and the hole covered with a small blanking plate. A small bracket was bent from angle iron and the sensor mounted above the rear prop in such a way that the 4 bolts on the rear drive flange ‘activate’ the sensor. This tells the gearbox controller to shift to 1st gear below a certain speed.

You can just see the speed sensor peeking out from behind the bracket.

Possibly the biggest hitch was removing the old crank sensor and installing the new 36-1 gear. To do this the radiator had to be removed, the serpentine belt removed, AND the crank pulley removed. After all that the gear was pretty simple to get to and replace. Everything was reassembled and the mag sensor for the crank gear wired into the EMU.

The wiring was wrapped and taped, the relays and fuse box connected and the throttle body and covers reassembled. I wired in the TPS and mounted the MAP sensor nice and high on the firewall. The final bit of wrapping and taping and the engine was done!

From there I moved onto the interior stuff, the old gear shifter was removed and the linkages disconnected. A 22mm hole was drilled through the floor pan to allow the new shifter cable to be fitted in place. Conveniently the cable is supplied with the correct rubber donut already in place.

The gear shifter was screwed through the floor using aluminium plates underneath to act as uber washers. The wiring from the shifter was connected to the corresponding wiring on the gearbox controller loom and the cable connected. Setting the cable to the correct position took a bit of trial and error but it didn’t take too long in the end.

Then the moment of truth, I turned the key and listened for the fuel pump to prime. It did so perfectly. I connected the laptop to the EMU and double checked the settings, took a deep breath and turned the key. Nothing. Panic. Open a beer.

Whilst sitting in the drivers seat drinking my beer admiring my new gear shifter I noticed the shifter is not in ‘neutral’ or ‘park’. After putting the shifter into the correct position, I took another deep breath and turned the key. Engine turned over and fired. Music to my ears! I played with the fuel mixture till she stopped ‘hunting’ and let her idle happily.

A day to two later the Hilex was taken to Schalk for dyno and produced fantastic results. 165 HP on 35” tyres. The Spitronics never once missed or showed any interference no matter the temperature or rev range.

On the way back from the dyno I spent a bit of time programming the gearbox; which turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought. I didn’t make any major changes as Peet had already pre-pre-programmed the unit. I just calibrated the TPS positions and played with the RPM correction until the gear changes occurred at my preferred limits.

There is still one last thing to do on the conversion; I want to fit the original idle control valve. The EMU can control the original Lexus stepper control motor, BUT the guys who did the conversion on the bakkie removed the stepper motor and blanked the inlet. So I need to source a stepper motor and then wire in the idle controller. This will allow me to set the revs nice and low while still being able to cold start, and have the fans and aircon run.

I have to admit the installation was extremely DIY friendly, the only hiccup was that some of the activities took an extra pair of hands, but they were by no means difficult

Excuse the poor photies guys, I’ll take some more over the next day or three....
Last edited by Toybox on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Spironics fitment to a Lexus v8

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Very Interesting Jonathon, job well done :!: :thumbup: :wink:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Nice Jonathan, why did you change the GB controller didn't it had a spittronics unit in already?

Speak to Danie from SupraTech he may have a 7M stepper motor for you which may just be the same as the Lexus one :? :? .

083 990 9400
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

you're right Bennie, it did have a Spritronics gearbox controller in already, but it was fairly ancient. The newer ones handle the reverse switch differently and are more programmable.

To be honest i'm sure I could've kept it, but at the time it was out with the old and in with the new :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll give Danie a call. I've gotta be that side of the world to have the gearbox looked at on Monday anyway, I think the softshift solenoid has had its day :(
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Jonathan
Looks great I am glad she is in good hands and being treated well I am sure Barto is glad she will be well looked after. Are you going to do any changes to the rest of the van?
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: Spitronics fitment to a Lexus v8

Post by Toybox »

Besides replacing the front bumper, eventually rocksliders, and some minor spray touch-ups she's perfect just the way she is!

Small matter of destroying the gearbox this weekend but thats another story for another time....

Must also start my roof console project in the weeks to come....
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Toybox wrote:Small matter of destroying the gearbox this weekend but thats another story for another time....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The Lexus V8 has struck! I'm sorry to hear that but it must be so difficult to behave(control your right foot) with all those horses rearing to go, even with my 2.2EFi, I've been averaging 5.5km/l for the last 600Km/h just because she's running so well and I've been enjoying it! So I understand your predicament is just so much worst(read better) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Note the tinge of jealousy... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Mr_B on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Now now play nice!

I was being very well behaved, was idling through the tough stuff. I had hardly any need to touch the throttle at all. It was an absolute pleasure; right up until the clutches started slipping and the box burnt. :thumbdown:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

:wth: Pity... ouch... that motor demands a heavy duty clutch...

B
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

As far as I understand the autobox, the torque convertor eliminates the need for a clutch. BUT the convertor is sensitive to variations in pressure and dirt in the system. Maybe Oom Blom can elaborate.....
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Have a look here to learn about torque converters.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... verter.htm

We used to see alot of burnt oil on Merc autos and replacing only oil some times solved the problem.
What normally burns out are the clutch plates between the bands.

For more of an explanation on how auto boxes work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic ... ission.htm
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:P interesting
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Hi daar

Wil net weet 'n vriend van my wil 'n lexus conversion doen hy wil weet as hy in low range is met die auto box by 'n skuins helling of hy sal terug hou soos die handrat en as nie wat moet gedoen word.
Weet nie as dit 'n dom vraag is nie maar ek weer self nie en ken glad nie 'n auto box nie
Gina
Town: Marble Hall
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Gina »

hallo! If the autobox is in low range it will hold him back just like the manual box.
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Nick, Eugene is right. Once the autobox is locked in 1st low it'll provide breaking as if it were a manual... :thumbup:
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Dankie vir die info sal my vriend se
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Hmmm, I never did get round to updating this thread. I fitted the idle control valve. What a pleasure. She starts every time (after i tracked down a very annoying starter problem) and idles at 600 rpm no matter how cold or how much load the engine is under.

Other than the injection setup i tackled the timing belt, tensioner and water pump a while back. Not somehting i'd like to repeat in a hurry!
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

Peekcha of the Lexus timing belt... Not a fun job!

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Eina
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Toybox, in the first photo, i noticed that your handbrake does not exist any more, what did you do to pass it through road worthy? Also i noticed your manifold is backwards, is this so that the cyclonic air filter lines up with the intake?
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Toybox »

The handbrake definitely exists, it exits the firewall and just about touches the back of the engine. The intake manifold has been flipped around to that the battery stays in the original location and eliminates the need for long ducting to get to the air filter....
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

So i went ahead and swapped the manifold around. Works like a dream now and i have hooked the snorkle up as well.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.

Return to “The Workshop”