Wheel spacers for IFS

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 3 d4d Fortuner

Wheel spacers for IFS

Post by Mr H »

Hi gents
I see Midas has a special on their wheel spacers? What is the recommended size to fit on IFS. :lol: There are 3 sizes, I'm talking under correction 3,6 and 9mm. Has anyone got wheel spacers on their vehicles? I was told not to go to thick what is too thick and why? :lol:
Mr H
Zantus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilex

Re: Wheel spacers for IFS

Post by Zantus »

I don't like those spacers, it makes the thread that's holding the wheel on, less.
Spacers also ads extra load on the wheel bearings.

I've got these 30mm spacers on my SFA hilux and they help with fitting the 35" tyres. They bolt onto the existing studs and have another set of studs that holds the wheel. These were correctly machined by a supplier at my previous job, otherwise the balancing would be out, the studs are genuine Toyota items, and the nuts were the smallest nuts I could find, because with the factory size nuts, the hole for the wheel spanner would break through at the edges.
Barto de Koning
2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 Clubcab
4x4 Trail & Overland Guide - GP3442
http://www.4x4tec.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr H
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 3 d4d Fortuner

Post by Mr H »

Hi
Thanx Zantiz, do you think a 9mm spacer will make a visable difference, would the 9mm spacer still have a negative effect on the wheel bearings if I do it? I have the standard mags of Toyota.
H
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

I bought my vehicle with 8mm spacers behind the front wheels to allow the mags to clear the calliper. There were about to turns of usable thread with that spacer and it was already damaged. I then went about finding longer studs. There is no such option available in SA. I had linger studs made by engineering works from special (and with special I mean very $pecial) graded steel. That together with having them sent to the SABS to test cost me over R 1k (almost R1K5 IIRC) for 12 studs.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

We fitted 28mm spacers to a friend of mine's IFS Hilux and they worked very good. If you look at the standard rims it seems like the body is hangin over the wheels. With 28mm spacers the outside of the tyre is in line with the fender's plastic buble. So between 3 and 9 I would definitely go for 9mm or bigger.

If you say a special price, what is the special price?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

The ones at Midas will not fit, they are for 2wd vehicle's. cars
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

Return to “The Workshop”